The gift of hearing....do you cherish it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh where are these special brownies that we in Midwest are proposed to have?
oh wait, JILLIO has them.....please feel free to spread some around:lol:
and I like smoked salmon too....

I have, by the way, been reading in these discussions and feel that I have learned much. I think there are more ways of knowing than the alleged "five senses".

Scares the hell out of you, too, doesn't it?
Scares me too. I am not deaf yet. One side being mod/severe loss; the other side profound. It is the Meniere's that will sit and wait, lurking in the background, until it gets the urge to steal another chunk of what I have left. I am not looking forward to it, but I have been dealt this hand. Guess I will play it out.

oh where are these special brownies that we in Midwest are proposed to have?

I have, by the way, been reading in these discussions and feel that I have learned much. I think there are more ways of knowing than the alleged "five senses".

That's wonderful! Learning is an ongoing process, if one is only open to it.

Scares me too. I am not deaf yet. One side being mod/severe loss; the other side profound. It is the Meniere's that will sit and wait, lurking in the background, until it gets the urge to steal another chunk of what I have left. I am not looking forward to it, but I have been dealt this hand. Guess I will play it out.

Better to have that attitude, than one of fighting it every step of the way to the degree that you make your weakest sense the entire focus of your life.

Show me where. I said I wanted to KNOW, which also means I wanted to learn, which also means .... i'm open.
:shock: Shocking, I know.

Especially shocking to one whose very existence is governed by closed mindedness.:giggle:

This thread took a while to catch up on. Pretty much everything that can be said has been said, but I'm still going to put my foot in.

Most people are unaware consciously of what they are really saying and of what they are saying really means. If they were we might not even need the study of linguistics. Most people are equally unaware of exactly what is being said to them -- But they feel it and react to it emotionally because subconsciously they DO know.

Every language contains presuppositions. Things that are not said directly in the words or signs but are so deeply ingrained you cannot fully understand the sentence...In this case the question...without knowing them.

One of the oldest and most blatant examples is: "Do you cry when you beat your wife?"

The most obvious thing presupposed is that you do indeed beat your wife and if you answer "yes" or "no" to crying then you have admitted to beating your wife.

Less obvious is the presupposition you are capable of crying. Also less obvious is the assumption you are capable of beating her.

Now look at the initial question again:

"The gift of..." presupposes that something of value was given and received. Further it is normally presupposed that what is given should be appreciated or the receiver is an ingrate. The second part of the sentence "do you cherish" is both a slap in the face and a demand that the reader conform to what is presupposed in the first part of the sentence.Looked at this way the question becomes a brutal attack, especially when launched toward Deaf, HoH, etc. people who might very well appreciate their gift of NOT hearing.

Bolded is quite true. And to apply those presuppositions, one must be coming from an audist perspective.

one of the things encouraged in my home while growing up was open-mindedness. Learning, equal rights, discourse were much encouraged.

It was about wanting to keep it strictly a Deaf-centric aggregator site. A monopoly, if you will. Yet people need to see these alternative viewpoints whether one likes it or not and let readers of all stripes decide.

Like 99% of the world is not a hearing-centric monopoly. And it would appear that the audists aren't content with those numbers, as they apparently attempt to take over the deaf sites on a consistent basis. Applying those double standards again.

oh where are these special brownies that we in
Midwest are proposed to have?

My mother had an interesting take on some of the other "senses". She said some senses no one is born with, and they cannot be learned. They have to be developed. Among these she listed a sense of humor, a sense of justice, a sense of irony, a sense of honor, a sense of identity. Her position was that none of these can be accurately defined: You simply learn to recognize them when you come across them.

Most people in the U.S. think of knowledge in terms of information, what you can learn in school that can be taught by a teacher. But there are others. Children take joy in discovery, and those who continue to enjoy this type of knowledge will always find new and exciting things. There is also the form of enlightenment, or Zen satori form which is very like discovery.

I much prefer the other two over simple information.

Dreama,
I'm not trying to attack him. I'm trying to ask him a few questions - over and over - which he wouldn't answer.
That's the issue for me. He throws a controversial topic and evades questions that is specific so it can be clarified when he says something.

It's getting old for me.

One reaps what one sows. Time for people to accept a little personal responsibility for the way others react to them.:cool2:

I have progressive hearing loss. The idea of losing all of my hearing used to scare me. It was the unknown. Now that I've been on AD for a while and admire so many people here, I'm not afraid anymore. So many people here have a great attitude. If they can do it, then I can, too. I'm not alone anymore. I have a husband that loves me and will stick by me no matter what. Life is good!

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here.
A lot of posters are like that, but they don't all get attacked in the way Kokonut is.

I think that it's more a question of wether you accept the status que or not. If you have differant views then you will get attacked however they are worded, and besides some people are plain speakers and are no good at mincing their words. I'm no good at that either, but I do feel I have a right to express myself and so does Kokonut.

You mention bullying, but I don't see Kokonut as being a bully here. I see it more a case that people are very quick to get offended by his posts and have made some really rude comments.

I very strongly disagree with Kokonut when it comes to Audism, but I won't jump on the band wagon since I've noticed so much attacking going on recently. I felt attacked and for a while I got so sick of it all that I stopped comming so frequently.

Kokonut is also deaf.

Kokonut himself objects to being called deaf, and has made that clear in any number of instances. He prefers to be called HOH.:cool2:

Is it ok to call yourself deaf if you are HOH? Is there some kind of rule, like you have to have a certain amount of hearing loss before you can call yourself deaf? I've always been confused about this.

My mother had an interesting take on some of the other "senses". She said some senses no one is born with, and they cannot be learned. They have to be developed. Among these she listed a sense of humor, a sense of justice, a sense of irony, a sense of honor, a sense of identity. Her position was that none of these can be accurately defined: You simply learn to recognize them when you come across them.

Most people in the U.S. think of knowledge in terms of information, what you can learn in school that can be taught by a teacher. But there are others. Children take joy in discovery, and those who continue to enjoy this type of knowledge will always find new and exciting things. There is also the form of enlightenment, or Zen satori form which is very like discovery.

I much prefer the other two over simple information.

Agreed. It is the other 2 that make the information applicable.

one of the things encouraged in my home while growing up was open-mindedness. Learning, equal rights, discourse were much encouraged.

In my home, as well. I am very grateful for that environment.

Is it ok to call yourself deaf if you are HOH? Is there some kind of rule, like you have to have a certain amount of hearing loss before you can call yourself deaf? I've always been confused about this.

No rule. If one is hoh but is more comfortable being called deaf, more power to them. Same thing with some deaf people who are not comfortable being called deaf.

No. One can ID as deaf with even a mild loss, if one chooses. It is a matter of culture, and the stigma you apply to the term "deaf".

No. One can ID as deaf with even a mild loss, if one chooses. It is a matter of culture, and the stigma you apply to the term "deaf".

I'm glad to hear this because while my hearing loss is only mild-moderate, I hope to one day be able to be fully immersed in Deaf culture and call myself Deafblind. It took me awhile to start getting comfortable with my hearing loss, and now I realize there is this rich culture that I can be a part of. I'm not there yet but on my way, trying to meet as many Deaf people as I can and learning ASL as fast as I can so that I can be part of this rich subculture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back