The Dreaded Jury Duty Summons Letter

You have been convicted of a felony during the past seven years OR you are a defendant in a felony case now.

You are in jail or prison.

You are a State Senator or Representative and the legislature is in session.

You are a judge of the Superior Court, Appellate Court or Supreme Court, you are a judge of probate or you are a federal court judge.

Is is me or is it the sign of the times that all the above seem to be synonymous? :mrgreen:

FYI - I have done jury duty a couple of years ago before getting my CI. It was interesting but left me less enamored about the criminal justice system. I was particularly incensed at some of the legal maneuvers done during the proceedings and found out about them afterwards.

Lucia: I am so glad I read your post! I remembered I got the summons letter and have 10 days to ask for excuse - but I don't remember the day the letter arrived and no date is on the letter or instructions. I'm maybe too late.

Reading the letter again I see that it says "return by mail within 5 days". I know its more than 5 days. :-o

Has anyone returned the "jury information form" late?

I was given 60 days to send in my medical excuse. But I sent it off last week.

I wrote "I am deaf, I have two injured discs in my lower back, hip dysplasia, and other health problems".

Not to tell you what to do but if that were me, I would have mentioned all of the above but would have left out that I'm deaf.

At any rate, sorry you have so much physical discomfort, Lucia......

Well, I just got another jury duty letter today for Aug. 15.

I have received the summons for jury duty at least
3 times, got one recently here in NY so i just wrote
that im deaf on the reply form..didnt hear from them
so i guess they scratched my name from the list..heh.

I dont see how the interpreter can do it in the court
room as it would be very difficult for her/him to do
all the interpreting..almost impossible and i would think
the judge would not allow it at all anyways.
I have never heard a deaf person ever served anyways.

I have received the summons for jury duty at least
3 times, got one recently here in NY so i just wrote
that im deaf on the reply form..didnt hear from them
so i guess they scratched my name from the list..heh.

I dont see how the interpreter can do it in the court
room as it would be very difficult for her/him to do
all the interpreting..almost impossible and i would think
the judge would not allow it at all anyways.
I have never heard a deaf person ever served anyways.

If you get empaneled and sit in on a case as a juror, the terp has no problem as only one person at a time speaks. I have served; it was a sports medicine doctor who was being sued......I was on that case for three weeks.

If you get empaneled and sit in on a case as a juror, the terp has no problem as only one person at a time speaks. I have served; it was a sports medicine doctor who was being sued......I was on that case for three weeks.

Did the court make you stay in a hotel with no TV, no literature, no internet and no connection to the outside world? I have heard of that happening to some jurors. Ugh, I would hate that. 3 weeks? I would be SO BORED serving on a jury. Fuck that! I have ADD, so my attention span is crap! And, they pay SHIT, much less than what your job probably pay now. Like $5 a day or something? Screw that. I want much more than that if they want me to serve on a jury. Hell, I want $100 a day!

Did the court make you stay in a hotel with no TV, no literature, no internet and no connection to the outside world? I have heard of that happening to some jurors. Ugh, I would hate that. 3 weeks? I would be SO BORED serving on a jury. Fuck that! I have ADD, so my attention span is crap! And, they pay SHIT, much less than what your job probably pay now. Like $5 a day or something? Screw that. I want much more than that if they want me to serve on a jury. Hell, I want $100 a day!

OH me! I think you just defined ADDHD hell.

I'd loathe having no lit, no internet and I never watch tv but I'd certainly want to watch tv after being in a jury all day. 1,000 a day might be worth it for me.

OH me! I think you just defined ADDHD hell.

I'd loathe having no lit, no internet and I never watch tv but I'd certainly want to watch tv after being in a jury all day. 1,000 a day might be worth it for me.

I think $1000 a day would be more worth it than a measly $100 a day. I'm gonna jack up my price up to $1000 a day to serve on a jury! LOL! :giggle: Just imagine what I could afford on $1000 a day if I served for a solid week. I would have enough for Driver's ed and a used car! :giggle:

I've received jury duty letter several times. I simply filled out the form that i have hearing disability and faxed my audiologist's report of my hearing status. my mom received it a couple of times too. i wrote it for her that she does not know english well. we were both off the hook. oh well...

My hubby and I received the jury duty summons only twice each, all our lives and we're both hoh/oral with no sign-language experience so an interpreter would be futile for us.

No problems with our doctor writing a letter to verify our hearing disabilities.

I know that we must have punishments carried out in law courts but surely, it must be a colossal waste of time to be among an inefficient judicial system as justice is hardly ever meted out correctly or fairly. That's my opinion.

i got served with summons years ago for jury service and i replied back that i was deaf etc this was about ten years ago now and courts in uk didnt have provisions for the deaf then i dont know if it has changed since then obviously things are diff in usa

Hubby was disappointed that I got another chance to serve on a jury. I've gotten summoned several times, and actually served on one. He has only been summoned once, and his service was canceled because they didn't need jurors that week. He wants to trade with me so he can get an opportunity. He wants to serve on a jury but not too many days because he is self-employed and would lose a lot of income during those days.

I don't mind serving on a jury. I just hope it doesn't extend past one week because the fall semester begins at the college then. I'm the only terp there right now so that would be an awful situation--no terp for the students.

Hubby was disappointed that I got another chance to serve on a jury. I've gotten summoned several times, and actually served on one. He has only been summoned once, and his service was canceled because they didn't need jurors that week. He wants to trade with me so he can get an opportunity. He wants to serve on a jury but not too many days because he is self-employed and would lose a lot of income during those days.

I don't mind serving on a jury. I just hope it doesn't extend past one week because the fall semester begins at the college then. I'm the only terp there right now so that would be an awful situation--no terp for the students.

Just mention the predictament to the judge--he/she may excuse you for that.

Lucia, no, since my case was an obvious ordinary civil case, my jury was not sequestered/cloistered. If you're not
sure why a jury would be sequestered, ask me.

I would say that, on average, jury duty rarely goes beyond 5 days. As to money, how much they pay is irrelevant (to me) for a civic duty. In my jurisdiction, the county pays (separately) so much a day AND for expenses. Since my employer paid my salary during my absence from work, the check I got for each day I served on a jury, I gave to my employer, per rule; however, I told the court people that they could keep what they would have given me, by separate check, for personal expenses.

Just mention the predictament to the judge--he/she may excuse you for that.
I've had to do that before, for the same reason. I hate to do that again, if it can be avoided. Hopefully, I'll get a short one-day trial to sit for.

Back