The Dreaded Jury Duty Summons Letter

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this thread in, so if this is the wrong place to put this thread in, MODS, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.

Anyway, I got the dreaded jury duty summons letter. I'm to show up at the courthouse at 8 am on the 29th. I honestly don't want to go in, for so many reasons. It's not that I don't wanna do it.

I have health problems. I have 2 injured discs in my lower back and I cannot sit in a waiting room all day to be interviewed to see if I am a candidate for jury duty. And if I am picked to do jury duty, I would be missing my electrotherapy sessions at PT (they help me with my back pain - like a TENS unit - google it and you will understand). I cannot postpone or miss my PT appointments. If I miss one my back bitches at me for missing it. I need to go regularly to keep my back/spine pain in check. I cannot serve on a jury adequately if I am constantly in pain due to lack of electrotherapy treatments. I can't even sit for two hours straight at my PC anymore due to my spine pain. My spine will really hate me for sitting all day at the courthouse and I will pay dearly for it for days afterwards with lots of pain.

And...honestly, I don't wanna go wait in a room all day to see whether they want me or not. I don't want to get up at 6 am. I hate mornings.

I don't care if it sounds unamerican. I don't care. Please do not preach at me that it is my "duty" to go serve on a jury. You know the reasons now why I can't serve on a jury.

Now, I am researching on how to get out of even showing up at the courthouse to be interviewed to see if I am a candidate to serve on the jury.

Anyone got any ideas?

Yes you can get an excuse for not going by getting doctor's note. Alot of people got doctor's notes for not being able to go for jury duty.

I just learned that you're using TENS unit. ha ... I used to have it for home use (four hours daily) for a month and it didn't help me so I took it back. Now I'm taking pain pills and patches daily anyway.

Thread moved from 'General Chat' to here-- ;)

Regarding to your jury duty notification, it's more likely you'll be excused due to your health issues and/or hardships.

Just submit a certified letter from your doctor prior to the actual date requesting that it's a viable medical issue so that you can be excused from even having to go through the entire process.

Good luck.

~RR

I want to have double check with you all first...

Is it obligation to duty to go serve on a jury?

I remembered at other thread somewhere that it's obligation for US citizons to serve on a jury, no matter either they want or not. They said that the police will come to your house to get you to serve on a jury... which is a scary...

Anyway, for you Lucia, You have to request your doctor with reason in writing why you can't make it.

Good Luck

Most cases they would drop you off if you are deaf and ask for Interpreter. The only city that I know won't excuse you if you are deaf and get terp for you, that is my hometown.

If Dr actually said you can't sit all day, then have his or her note showing to the jury duty selector and they will be likely to cancel your summons.

I agreed with them...call your doctor and get an excuse note to excuse you from being in jury. My hubby love to go and be in the jury. Me so so...sooo wish you best of luck get a note and get excused.

Since you are in Texas... i dont know about the courts there would get an interpreter??? But you are under Doctor s care right now... You can ask your doctor for a proof of your health issues.... More likely you will be excused...

It sucks. I personally don't want to be called into jury duty myself, I hope not in my lifetime. Good luck with your decision!

Flunk some of the interview questions on purpose if you feel stuck

Hmmmm, I am the other way; I would almost have to be comatose to get out of jury duty. But that's just me.

Lucia: I am so glad I read your post! I remembered I got the summons letter and have 10 days to ask for excuse - but I don't remember the day the letter arrived and no date is on the letter or instructions. I'm maybe too late.

Reading the letter again I see that it says "return by mail within 5 days". I know its more than 5 days. :-o

Has anyone returned the "jury information form" late?

I served on jury duty a few times. It was inconvenient, yes, but I'm glad that I did it.

In South Carolina, if you contact the Court Clerk and notify him/her that you're Deaf and will need an interpreter, that usually gets you off jury duty. You don't even have to show up if you notify the clerk ahead of time and get excused.

Also, some courts send you a form to fill out ahead of time, and there's usually a section where you can justify an excuse from duty, such as for medical reasons, or working out of town. If you get that form, fill it out clearly explaining your situation, and you might get excused before the due date.

Whatever you do, don't just fail to show up. They will send the sheriff for you.

Lucia: I am so glad I read your post! I remembered I got the summons letter and have 10 days to ask for excuse - but I don't remember the day the letter arrived and no date is on the letter or instructions. I'm maybe too late.

Reading the letter again I see that it says "return by mail within 5 days". I know its more than 5 days. :-o

Has anyone returned the "jury information form" late?

Who knows; that person would not be able to answer because he is currently in jail. Lol, j/k...

I served on jury duty a few times. It was inconvenient, yes, but I'm glad that I did it.

In South Carolina, if you contact the Court Clerk and notify him/her that you're Deaf and will need an interpreter, that usually gets you off jury duty. You don't even have to show up if you notify the clerk ahead of time and get excused.

Also, some courts send you a form to fill out ahead of time, and there's usually a section where you can justify an excuse from duty, such as for medical reasons, or working out of town. If you get that form, fill it out clearly explaining your situation, and you might get excused before the due date.

Whatever you do, don't just fail to show up. They will send the sheriff for you.

Dang, that is so wrong....telling the Clerk Court in SC that you're deaf to get out of jury duty!! What if a deaf South Carolinan informs the Clerk BUT wants to serve?

Who knows; that person would not be able to answer because he is currently in jail. Lol, j/k...

:run:

My roommate is laughing at your post, Tousi, and because I am panicing. I looked at the web site on instructions - no information about being late, about interpreters, about excuses for school. The form says I need "official documentation" with "dated material" - what? From my school? Who at school? What "dated material"? I never been jury before or got summons letter. So stupid for not reading carefully!! Now I'm late!!

My roommate is doing all. I give up and let her. :eek2:

:run:

My roommate is laughing at your post, Tousi, and because I am panicing. I looked at the web site on instructions - no information about being late, about interpreters, about excuses for school. The form says I need "official documentation" with "dated material" - what? From my school? Who at school? What "dated material"? I never been jury before or got summons letter. So stupid for not reading carefully!! Now I'm late!!

My roommate is doing all. I give up and let her. :eek2:

I'm sorry, I'd forgotten you got a summons and the response is past due.

Dang, that is so wrong....telling the Clerk Court in SC that you're deaf to get out of jury duty!! What if a deaf South Carolinan informs the Clerk BUT wants to serve?
That's what my Deaf friend did; he got the letter and WANTED to serve. He contacted the clerk to request a terp, NOT to get out of jury duty. He was shocked when the clerk told him that it was too expensive, and that they would just excuse him. She said that was the standard procedure.

I'm sorry, I'd forgotten you got a summons and the response is past due.

No, Tousi. I paniced when I read the letter. You were funny - I'm just in a bad mood with the headache like :rl: and hard day. I'm the late person. No apology needed.

My roommate sent my advisor a email (does this spellcheck work? so many of my words are red but seem ok to me "paniced" "advisor" "ok" - :dunno:) and filled out one form. I don't know about the deadline or consequences. Just a bad day.

No, Tousi. I paniced when I read the letter. You were funny - I'm just in a bad mood with the headache like :rl: and hard day. I'm the late person. No apology needed.

My roommate sent my advisor a email (does this spellcheck work? so many of my words are red but seem ok to me "paniced" "advisor" "ok" - :dunno:) and filled out one form. I don't know about the deadline or consequences. Just a bad day.

Okay, there will be better tomorrows for you. GN

Hey, tell her to move up to my hometown, and she will much likely not to be excused and get very darn good terp.

Actually, I don't mind serve jury duty! preferred in criminal court than in civil court.

That's what my Deaf friend did; he got the letter and WANTED to serve. He contacted the clerk to request a terp, NOT to get out of jury duty. He was shocked when the clerk told him that it was too expensive, and that they would just excuse him. She said that was the standard procedure.

Back