The Deaf Community

I think what OB meant that she was emotionally forced into making the decision of getting implants. I have seen that happen to some of my deaf friends and some hearing parents of deaf children. I have shared the story with my deaf friend who had to pull her two deaf boys out of the oral-only program because she was being bullied and criticized for not implanting her boys.

Got it, I remember you telling that story, which I think is pretty terrible. I also don't think anyone should be made to feel forced, and people should be secure in a decision not to get a CI. It's a huge decision, it's not right for everyone, and while easy for a child to quickly adapt, for an adult, it takes a lot of work, commitment, and while the surgery alone is a huge obstacle, the surgery itself has got to be just one small part of a broader decision about lifestyle and communication goals in general.

can't they at least try make up signs to communicate that will become accurate signs later like my siblings do. some of my siblings still sign as made up signs that i keep correcting them but i leave them alone because they are the only people I understand fine. If they want to be interpreter then i will make sure they have to. but nah. lol

The salary quoted here is the average for service-wide (including management). The actual average carrier salary is closer to the teacher one-and the teacher one varies by state. My state is higher-believe me, I'm glad teachers get it! It's just that it's popular to bash letter carriers, and the Postal Service in general, these days. Not saying you are, just that there are misconceptions out there.

I don't know a statistical breakdown of what Deaf/Hoh people do in the USPS, but I think most of them work in mail processing, such as clerk or mailhandler. Some are in management, as well.

See bold red print in your post. You just confirmed my statement.

How is it that a mailman's salary is close to a teacher with advanced degrees and certifications? Something's wrong with this picture. very wrong. But I'm glad that teachers in your state is nicely paid. Many teachers in many states are not.

One would think teachers should just give up and work for USPS or subway since it's much less stressful and plus it has better benefits.

See bold red print in your post. You just confirmed my statement.

How is it that a mailman's salary is close to a teacher with advanced degrees and certifications? Something's wrong with this picture. very wrong. But I'm glad that teachers in your state is nicely paid. Many teachers in many states are not.

One would think teachers should just give up and work for USPS or subway since it's much less stressful and plus it has better benefits.

Yea, maybe I should quit my job and work for UPS. That way I get paid and get a good workout in. :)

what would be the reason for parents allowing children to learn ASL at later age?

Just making a point. Why not? Don't a lot of oral deaf learn ASL later?

Don't some primary ASL users learn oral skills later?

Yea and there are those families where deaf people wont have anything to do with because they didnt learn ASL for them.

That's one thing that make me sad. My parents were committed to oral, my dad knew a lot more ASL than my stepmother.

But I would give anything to have him back. And by the way, in her old age, my stepmother uses a lot more sign with me as she seems to have realized that I often don't understand.

So if you are patient things can change. Family really does mean a lot to me.

That is something I am against. I believe in letting deaf people make the decisions for themselves and yes, I have grown up feeling like my deafness was a nuisiance to hearing people. It was always apparent when they would roll their eyes whenever I ask them what was being said around me only to say "Never mind", or "I will tell you later" instead of being gracious enough to do some accodomating on their part to keep me included.

That's one of the reasons why I am so happy to have found the Deaf community. There, I dont feel that way at all. No child should ever feel that way.

Thank you for your patience. I was hoping I was off topic with the post, but, I elaborated on it to illustrate that what people on here have been saying DOES happen. It happened to my friend. Thankfully, one of the people who used to treat her so shabbily is NO longer in her life, and, she IS happier. I'm thankful for that. I had just met her when she was implanted, so I didn't feel I had the right to voice my opinions about to her at the time, but, I have since shared my views on it. She is not one to create conflict, so she just shrugs, but I know it bugs her. It also bugs her current partner who SPEAKS UP when a situation arises that excludes my friend.

I think it's illegal to force medical treatment on an adult, unless the state has legally granted a medical power of attorney to someone else for some reason.

I think what OB meant that she was emotionally forced into making the decision of getting implants. I have seen that happen to some of my deaf friends and some hearing parents of deaf children. I have shared the story with my deaf friend who had to pull her two deaf boys out of the oral-only program because she was being bullied and criticized for not implanting her boys.

Yes, Shel. That's what I meant. She was pressured by family members until she finally got tired of the crap and caved to the pressure. Implantation also almost killed her. This was back when her model was using positioners and fluid got trapped in the ear causing infection; which then travelled to the brain causing meningitis. She literally was within hrs of death had they not gotten medical help when they did. She also WAS NOT informed of the positioner issue before implantation. Had she been, things may have been different.

I have seen children and adults who have grown up with both approaches. They dont seem burnt out to me. I know many Deaf people who grew up with both who still remain to be in both worlds. They have told me of some of their childhood friends who have chosen to be in the hearing world full time while others have chosen not to have anything to do with the hearing world.

It seems to me that most Deaf people are happy having both.

When I said burnt out, I meant giving your child literally everything. Make them learn written english, ASL, spoken english, spoken spanish, spoken german, BSL, and so on. I mean, after all, a lot of people complain about speech therapy, right? Why? Because they felt that they had better things to do, more constructive things to learn. Which is why I said that Bi-bi approach, to me, really isn't a FULL toolbox, only takes the priorities (ASL and written english) and focuses on them.

Honestly, I'm just picking on words, really. I'm simply making a point that ANY approach has its priorities, because you can't teach a child everything simultaneously. You can only try to.

That's one thing that make me sad. My parents were committed to oral, my dad knew a lot more ASL than my stepmother.

But I would give anything to have him back. And by the way, in her old age, my stepmother uses a lot more sign with me as she seems to have realized that I often don't understand.

So if you are patient things can change. Family really does mean a lot to me.

Yes, it is sad but I dont blame them. If their families arent willing to do their part to make sure that they are included in family events, conversations and etc, why should they be obligated to go out of their way to maintain contact with them? Some of our family members treat my brother like he is invisible even to the point of referring him in the 3rd person. Why should my brother continue to bother with them if they arent willing to acknowledge him all because it will take an extra effort on their part to communciate with him. Even, I am constantly left out too.

When I said burnt out, I meant giving your child literally everything. Make them learn written english, ASL, spoken english, spoken spanish, spoken german, BSL, and so on. I mean, after all, a lot of people complain about speech therapy, right? Why? Because they felt that they had better things to do, more constructive things to learn. Which is why I said that Bi-bi approach, to me, really isn't a FULL toolbox, only takes the priorities (ASL and written english) and focuses on them.

Honestly, I'm just picking on words, really. I'm simply making a point that ANY approach has its priorities, because you can't teach a child everything simultaneously. You can only try to.

Many kids in the program I work in have both spoken skills and ASL. :dunno:

Yes, it is sad but I dont blame them. If their families arent willing to do their part to make sure that they are included in family events, conversations and etc, why should they be obligated to go out of their way to maintain contact with them? Some of our family members treat my brother like he is invisible even to the point of referring him in the 3rd person. Why should my brother continue to bother with them if they arent willing to acknowledge him all because it will take an extra effort on their part to communciate with him. Even, I am constantly left out too.

I understand. I am left out in lots of situations too. Just is interesting to me that my stepmother uses more signs with me now.

Maybe it's due to having other handicaps that I value my family so much. :dunno:

I have been left out of conversations at family gatherings since my early childhood. Even in 2002, when my brother in GA came up to MO to visit the older brother and we went over as well. We got family pictures that I have shared here on AD, but I was not spoken to at all. My brothers asked my husband to move me where they wanted. He refused and told them to speak directly, my mother got upset and then told me herself. I wasn't even total deaf my then and I had my HA's at that time. At a recent family reunion for MIL's family, I was left totally alone except for my son staying with me. He hated that I was left out.

Why not? I speak as well as a hearing person does (I've been told so, by many), I'm fluent in ASL, my written English is spot-on. Where am I lacking? I learned it all by age 4 and I was first diagnosed just a bit shy of 2 years old. And, I am profoundly deaf with HAs.

ASL is free
Speech/oral skill PAYS

that's my opinion. lol

...and, some pay dearly.

Oral skills are good to have, but, a person shouldn't have oral only forced on them; especially a child.

I think, we the hearing, needs to honor the identity of the deaf person. Instead of forcing them to meet our ideal, we should be meeting theirs.

I will also again beat the drum for a cooperation between the hearing and deaf. Only when the two can come together and cooperate will we see change and will things be better.

Many kids in the program I work in have both spoken skills and ASL. :dunno:

I'm not saying that most deaf kids would get burnt out from learning oral skills, ASL, and written English. I'm just saying that there are priorities in terms of the magnitude and rate of teaching them. Or even when to start to teach them.

In fact, many times on AD I hear complaints about pulling kids out of class for speech therapy. That's a violation of their priority, right? They prefer to be taught math over learning how to say "Pikachu".

Why not? I speak as well as a hearing person does (I've been told so, by many), I'm fluent in ASL, my written English is spot-on. Where am I lacking? I learned it all by age 4 and I was first diagnosed just a bit shy of 2 years old. And, I am profoundly deaf with HAs.

Perhaps I should clarify everything as in LITERALLY EVERYTHING, not just ASL, written english, and spoken english. I'm also talking about academics, sports, social skills, and whatnot.

This is pointless. Okay, fine, you can teach them everything. I'd much prefer that anyway.

I'm just saying that people have their priorities as I said in my last post.

Man, I should not be on AD when I'm also working!

ASL is free
Speech/oral skill PAYS

that's my opinion. lol

Although ... my daughter's tuition & transport to a school where she can be immersed in ASL is upwards of $60K a year, and she's just in prek, so many more years to come.

I'm not saying that most deaf kids would get burnt out from learning oral skills, ASL, and written English. I'm just saying that there are priorities in terms of the magnitude and rate of teaching them. Or even when to start to teach them.

In fact, many times on AD I hear complaints about pulling kids out of class for speech therapy. That's a violation of their priority, right? They prefer to be taught math over learning how to say "Pikachu".

I dont think kids should be pulled out for speech therapy during Math, Reading, and Writing but be pulled out at other times..like during specials.

Back