That Hand You're About To Shake May Prove a Hazard to Your Health

Vance

Reaction score
The humble handshake -- cornerstone of civilized behavior, ancient gesture of greeting among friends and strangers alike -- is in trouble.

Politicians are avoiding it. Church officials are worrying about it. Business people are wary of it.

Shaking hands is slowly being transformed from a friendly icebreaker into a potential vector of life-imperiling contagion. The concern may be particularly acute during the flu season, given the well-publicized shortage of flu vaccine in some parts of the country.

Item: The Roman Catholic Diocese of Metuchen, N.J., has advised parishioners that they have the option to smile, bow or wave instead of shaking hands with neighbors during the "Sign of Peace" portion of the Mass if they are concerned about contracting flu. Church members also have been told they are not required to drink from the common chalice during Communion. "Don't hesitate to not shake hands," said the Rev. Michael Crummy, according to the Hunterdon County Democrat this month. "It might be prudent to tell your neighbors before the start of the Mass that you have a cold, and that you are not shaking hands only because of that."

Ironic, no? Shaking hands supposedly got started as a way to show another that you didn't have a weapon in your hands. As it turns out, we do have a weapon in our hands: the flu virus. Human influenza viruses -- the genetically mutated descendants of bird germs -- are extremely clever and resilient little bugs. They can live on hands and on surfaces like doorknobs, railings and computer keyboards for up to two hours.

Passed easily from person to person, they typically enter the body when a recipient touches his eyes, mouth or nose. Once inside, they explode, piling into cells like rampaging vikings. After a short incubation period, an infected person ends up with "so much virus inside / That her microscope slide / Looks like a day at the zoo," as the Broadway tunesmith Frank Loesser put it.

Flu is an inconvenience for most, but deadly to some -- about 36,000 people in the United States die every flu season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and more than 120,000 are hospitalized with flu symptons. Vaccines and antiviral drugs have prevented even worse numbers, but flu viruses are also notoriously creative, and mutate into new strains that defy human resistance every 20 years or so. (Be afraid: The World Health Organization said last month that we're overdue for our next pandemic-causing strain.) The apocalyptic "Spanish" flu of 1918-19 -- it actually wasn't Spanish in origin, but most likely started in rural Kansas, according to historian John M. Barry -- killed perhaps 50 million around the globe, making it the single deadliest human epidemic ever. Based on population growth since then, the equivalent death toll today would be around 170 million people.

Despite limited understanding of what caused the flu in that period, there was widespread awareness that it spread by human contact, says Barry, author of the recent "The Great Influenza," an account of the nightmare. Some cities passed ordinances making it illegal to shake hands. But that was only the beginning. The flu was so terrifying, its killing power so swift, "that in some places almost all human contact stopped," he says.

Barry cites the eyewitness account of a young medical student who had been placed in charge of a Philadelphia hospital; on the 12-mile drive to the hospital one evening, the young man counted just one other car moving on the streets of a city with 1.75 million inhabitants. In isolated locales where an outbreak had been reported, the fear was so raw that would-be rescuers let people starve rather than face exposure themselves.

Having spent seven years researching all this, does Barry still shake hands? He laughs. "I guess I'm a little more aware of things like washing my hands," he says. "Does it actually affect my behavior? No, but I'm alert to the fact that [handshaking] is one of the best ways to transmit infectious organisms."

Item: Mark Cooper, the top elected official in Southbury, Conn., has declared that he won't shake on any deals. Or on anything else until the flu season is over. Cooper said if anyone offers a hand, he'll politely decline and give the person a brochure titled "Don't Do the Flu," with tips on how to stay healthy this winter. He says he wants to set an example by limiting his physical contact with people.

In an interview, Cooper says his declaration of handshake abstinence was initially aimed at his constituents, about a quarter of whom are over the age of 65 -- one of the highest-risk groups for flu complications. "I go to a holiday event and I shake 300 hands," says Cooper. "Those people are picking up food, and they're shaking hands with each other. If you come into contact with someone like me in that context, you might want to think twice about shaking my hand."

But Cooper, a former public health official, says this wasn't just about him. He was trying, he says, to make a larger point about hand hygiene. Since word of his handshake strike got out on Dec. 8, Cooper's story has been contagious in the media, hopscotching from the Associated Press to the Howard Stern show to the BBC. "People had fun with it," he says. But, noting that the serious point often came through in media accounts, he adds: "Mission accomplished."

A similar kind of handshake awareness briefly gripped Washington this fall when The Post revealed that people in Congress had access to their own stash of flu vaccinations. Despite some talk-show demogoguery about "special privileges," medical experts pointed out it might be a public service to provide inoculations to Congress, given the amount of gripping and grinning they do with constituents each day.

More... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25205-2004Dec24.html?referrer=emailarticle

:gpost:

Also not to mention whether they washed their hands after doing their bathroom duty either.

eww Megan, ....

I'll be caution next time!

Thats why the japaneese are healthy because they bow. Maybe we all should bow down like the japaneese do.

ravensteve1961 said:
Thats why the japaneese are healthy because they bow. Maybe we all should bow down like the japaneese do.

LMAO!!!! You know, Raven, this is the first time I actually found your joke hilarious!

Good one :)

iamidiotdeafboy said:
nope. americans are too tall for that. there would be bruised noggins galore
Ouch! I never thought of that! That's so true! Heh!

I guess we might as well make like the movie, Demolition Man. Instead of high-fiving each other... stop the hands inches apart then make a clockwise rubbing motion. That's the best and clean motion one can make. ;)

ravensteve1961 said:

Or, just wash our hands frequently. :)

Meg said:
:gpost:

Also not to mention whether they washed their hands after doing their bathroom duty either.

Eww, Meg. LOL

Unfortunately, it's a good point.

Meg said:
I had one of our co-worker fired cuz I caught one employee who didn't wash his hand after going to #2, I watched him picking up a product and gave to one customer then he left, I had to approached the customer to switch product and told customer what I saw, so customer and I reported to our boss, our boss approached that co-worker and told him to turn his badge and leave... :ugh: ppl who never wash their hand...

nozobo said:
I had one of our co-worker fired cuz I caught one employee who didn't wash his hand after going to #2, I watched him picking up a product and gave to one customer then he left, I had to approached the customer to switch product and told customer what I saw, so customer and I reported to our boss, our boss approached that co-worker and told him to turn his badge and leave... :ugh: ppl who never wash their hand...

Becareful man, That guy could have gang members and he saw youre the only employee in that bathroom he could get his buddies and really gang up on you. I learn to keep my nose outta other peoples business because you never know which one will turn up against you.

What about the baseball players? who keeps playing with their balls every time they have a bat in their hands?..... :|

ravensteve1961 said:
Becareful man, That guy could have gang members and he saw youre the only employee in that bathroom he could get his buddies and really gang up on you. I learn to keep my nose outta other peoples business because you never know which one will turn up against you.

Dude, Nozobo was at WORK and he has an obligation to report on his co workers if they are caught doing anything unethical or whatnot.

I admire Nozobo for reporting on that because what if NO one reports at your favorite McDonalds and you eat a big Mac handled by a guy who just did No. 2 and never wiped his hands off?????

Think about it, dude

ravensteve1961 said:
well You weren't in MY SHOE, that man was an old fart same as your age! You should wash your hand more often...

Well my uncle warned me about reporting on cops. Cops break laws too you know.He told me if you report a police officer speeding, runing though red lights running though stop signs, parking in fire lanes they will pull you over for every little thing you do. Then your not going to afford to drive your car because of your insurance company raised your rates and all those traffic tickets youll get. Cause police officers are like family and they ban together like family. My uncle says just stay out of their business. Because i got tickets from cops. Like one pulled me over because i didnt make a complete stop at a red light before making turn on red. another pulled me over because i didnt make a complete stop at a stop sign. Another was because i had my brights on and i didnt know it.And i parked at the meter and i placed my handicapped sticker on my windshiled and gave me a parking ticket because i didnt feed the meter. I thought you didnt have to pay if you have a handicapped sticker. You see why i hate cops? They are supposed to protect you not harrass you.So should i report them next time i catch up to one and theyre doing 10 miles over the speed limit? Or if they go though a stop sign ? or park in a fire lane?

Back