Thanksgivng, A True Meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that any of this has to do with the first Thanksgiving, and it appears you are trying to hijack a perfectly good Thanksgiving thread.

The Puritans didn't show up for another 10 years after the Pilgrims. So they had nothing to do with the first Thanksgiving.

"...Philip's head, impaled on a stake, was left for decades on the outskirts of Plymouth as a grisly warning of the prices to be paid for resisting colonial expansions."
You forgot to mention that Philip was killed by another Indian.

And both of them took part in wars and killing the Indians.
And the Indians took part in wars that killed Pilgrims, Puritans, and Christian Indians, and other Indians.

Not that any of this has to do with the first Thanksgiving, and it appears you are trying to hijack a perfectly good Thanksgiving thread.

I am not hijacking, but giving my own interpretation of what Thanksgiving means to me, hence the true meaning of Thanksgiving.

The Puritans didn't show up for another 10 years after the Pilgrims. So they had nothing to do with the first Thanksgiving.

My view of Thanksgiving is the start of the invasion of Europeans stealing away the land from Native Americans, so yes, this is relevant in my eyes. We don't see many Indians in our today's world, because our white civilisation has managed to either kill them all off or send them away to some secluded reservations.

You forgot to mention that Philip was killed by another Indian.

He was killed by a "Praying Indian" who was an Indian who converted to Christianity.

And the Indians took part in wars that killed Pilgrims, Puritans, and Christian Indians, and other Indians.

Yes the Indians did engage in warfares with other Indians. Colonists were not the innocent ones.

I am not hijacking, but giving my own interpretation of what Thanksgiving means to me, hence the true meaning of Thanksgiving.
My view of Thanksgiving is the start of the invasion of Europeans stealing away the land from Native Americans, so yes, this is relevant in my eyes.
That might be your interpretation but it's not based on fact. At their first thanksgiving gathering in the Americas, the Pilgrims thanked God for His providence. Period. It had nothing to do with future wars, westward expansion, reservations, European immigration, etc. Those events happened later on the time line but they had nothing to do with that thanksgiving celebration.

Now, on Thanksgiving day in the United States, people thank God for His blessings on them. It has nothing to do with European "invasions" or stealing land. It has to do with whatever each person is thankful for in his or her own life.

Exactly right on your nose, Reba !

Many thanks to the Lord for many Blessings.
In the name of Jesus, Amen. Simple.

Pilgrims and other Christians weren't the only people that move here
in America. And they all didn't kill the Indians.

Only reason why people move here is because of Gold, Tobacco, and stuff like that... to make MONEY.

"Come, ye thankful people, come, raise the song of harvest home;
All is safely gathered in, ere the winter storms begin.
God our Maker doth provide for our wants to be supplied;
Come to God’s own temple, come, raise the song of harvest home."

"Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost."

"Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done."

For the beauty of the earth

Lord of all, to Thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.

For the beauty of the earth
For the glory of the skies,
For the love which from our birth
Over and around us lies.

For the beauty of each hour,
Of the day and of the night,
Hill and vale, and tree and flower,
Sun and moon, and stars of light.

For the joy of ear and eye,
For the heart and mind’s delight,
For the mystic harmony
Linking sense to sound and sight.

For the joy of human love,
Brother, sister, parent, child,
Friends on earth and friends above,
For all gentle thoughts and mild.

For Thy Church, that evermore
Lifteth holy hands above,
Offering up on every shore
Her pure sacrifice of love.

For the martyrs’ crown of light,
For Thy prophets’ eagle eye,
For Thy bold confessors’ might,
For the lips of infancy.

For Thy virgins’ robes of snow,
For Thy maiden mother mild,
For Thyself, with hearts aglow,
Jesu, Victim undefiled.

For each perfect gift of Thine,
To our race so freely given,
Graces human and divine,
Flowers of earth and buds of Heaven.

Not to mention, Indians kill other Indians. I don't think they go in wars though. Or maybe they did. I can't remember.

the Earth is getting crowded, People would end up invading in their land anyway if they haven't done so a long time ago. There is no way the Indians could stop it unless they have advanced technologies. Some things are just out of our control.

BTW, I am part seminoles, and part some other kind of Indian. But I look white. My dad look Indian (Red skin, black hair, and all).

The Thanksgiving story given to kids about the piligrams and the Indians was fake. :o The Thanksgiving holidays was official in 1940s so soliders can come home and we give big thanks to the soliders for risking their lifes to give us the Freedom we have in United States. But now it's too commerical because of the Turkey story given to kids by teachers or whoever. I learned about this from TV a while ago. :eek2:

The Thanksgiving story given to kids about the piligrams and the Indians was fake. :o The Thanksgiving holidays was official in 1940s so soliders can come home and we give big thanks to the soliders for risking their lifes to give us the Freedom we have in United States. But now it's too commerical because of the Turkey story given to kids by teachers or whoever. I learned about this from TV a while ago. :eek2:

Wow, I can't believ you said that. You'll be the first person I ever heard that. Why you think its a fake? The turkey and etc started since very 1st Thanksgivng where Pilgrims and Indians actually joined together and thanking the Lord of His blessings.

There's a movie called "Squanto: a warriors tale" not sure how accurate it is cause I seen it years ago as a kid-- now forgot what it was about.

Well, if we're going to include TV's image of Thanksgiving, I'll add this one. I recently watched "Desperate Crossing" on the History Channel. This is the description:

Desperate Crossing: The Untold Story of the Mayflower

• Dramatic, fully-realized period reenactments transport you to the time of the Pilgrims' voyage.
  • Extensive interviews with numerous experts complete the story.
  • Filmed at Plimouth Plantation, and in England and other historically appropriate locations.
The three parts of this unprecedented documentary - an ambitious 3-hour combination of scholastic and dramatic achievement - present the definitive history of the Pilgrims and their journey to and colonization of the New World.
This definitive look at the Pilgrims' progress - a marriage of feature-film quality historical reenactments with the latest scholarship and analysis of original source material - will open your eyes to the reality of their experience. The true tale of the Pilgrims bears little resemblance to the popular myth of elementary school pageants.
From Scrooby to Leiden to Plymouth, follow the incredible pilgrimage that landed these unlikely pioneers on the alien shores of a new continent. Endure alongside the settlers as their numbers are decimated during the perilous ocean crossing and as still more perish in their unforgiving new home. Gratefully meet Squanto and Samoset, sit at the table during the historic first Thanksgiving and learn how the colony's saga continues in the decades after.
Throughout this riveting documentary experience, you will be amazed at the difference between historical fact and what you thought you knew, and you will be surprised how much more there is to the UNTOLD STORY OF THE MAYFLOWER.

The representatives from the New England Native American tribes supported the viewpoint that the Pilgrims and Indians shared a three-day festival together--the first Thanksgiving. The other scholars also supported the viewpoint that the Pilgrims came to America in search of religious freedom.

The first Thanksgiving was a true event.

More facts:

Fact: The original feast in 1621 occurred sometime between September 21 and November 11. Unlike our modern holiday, it was three days long. The event was based on English harvest festivals, which traditionally occurred around the 29th of September. After that first harvest was completed by the Plymouth colonists, Gov. William Bradford proclaimed a day of thanksgiving and prayer, shared by all the colonists and neighboring Indians. In 1623 a day of fasting and prayer during a period of drought was changed to one of thanksgiving because the rain came during the prayers. Gradually the custom prevailed in New England of annually celebrating thanksgiving after the harvest.

During the American Revolution a yearly day of national thanksgiving was suggested by the Continental Congress. In 1817 New York State adopted Thanksgiving Day as an annual custom, and by the middle of the 19th century many other states had done the same. In 1863 President Abraham Lincoln appointed a day of thanksgiving as the last Thursday in November, which he may have correlated it with the November 21, 1621, anchoring of the Mayflower at Cape Cod. Since then, each president has issued a Thanksgiving Day proclamation. President Franklin D. Roosevelt set the date for Thanksgiving to the fourth Thursday of November in 1939 (approved by Congress in 1941).
The History of Thanksgiving - Mayflower Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back