Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.
AB I'm not sure how you'd go about this ... but you might want to annon. call RID and local places and ask about health insurance and all that ... you might also want to ask if there are restrictions (medical - such as bi-polar) that might prevent certification ? - I know that there are certain things which you must "pass" such as a criminal records check, a child abuse check and all that stuff .. you might want to investigate all that at this point. Once you know what you're dealing with - what kind of health care is available etc - that will take a huge load off your shoulders and help you know what you are really dealing with.

Just comes ideas ... but do it annon.

(do the Interpreters who've gone through the "system" agree or disagree with this suggestion?)

Check the thread you started in General Chat. I think I may have been able to provide you a starting place.;)

AB I'm not sure how you'd go about this ... but you might want to annon. call RID and local places and ask about health insurance and all that ... you might also want to ask if there are restrictions (medical - such as bi-polar) that might prevent certification ? - I know that there are certain things which you must "pass" such as a criminal records check, a child abuse check and all that stuff .. you might want to investigate all that at this point. Once you know what you're dealing with - what kind of health care is available etc - that will take a huge load off your shoulders and help you know what you are really dealing with.

Just comes ideas ... but do it annon.

(do the Interpreters who've gone through the "system" agree or disagree with this suggestion?)
None of the agencies that I've worked for or with have done background checks on me, and that includes substitute interpreter in public schools. It probably varies from place to place.

Insurance coverage by private agencies varies widely. Government agencies and public schools probably offer standard coverage. AB's state might offer specific coverage plans for "disabled" employees. :dunno:

Interpreting can be very stressful, and involves delicate interpersonal situations. If a person can't handle the stress or emotions or confidentiality of interpreting, then that is something to seriously consider. A terp needs to set aside personal feelings and almost become a non-entity on the job. Some people can't handle that much anonymity.

None of the agencies that I've worked for or with have done background checks on me, and that includes substitute interpreter in public schools. It probably varies from place to place.

Thanks ... I wasn't sure - I know here for many occupations you there is crimal records check, child abuse check as well as medical reports which are requested

Interpreting can be very stressful, and involves delicate interpersonal situations. If a person can't handle the stress or emotions or confidentiality of interpreting, then that is something to seriously consider. A terp needs to set aside personal feelings and almost become a non-entity on the job. Some people can't handle that much anonymity.
Yep. You get to brush it all off after the assignment, but you do have to be able to handle those situations while you are in them. Your own feelings are unimportant when you're on the job.

I have never heard of any criminal checks or anything like that, don't believe I've ever had one in association with interpreting.

Then all I can suggest is that you get your personal life squared away before you enter the world of professional interpreting.

Reba is so right on about all of this. Please see what I posted in the other thread.

and a drug test
Wow, I definitely didn't have that. Then again, hiring for my VRS center is done by Gallaudet Interpreting Services; perhaps they have different practices than the company at large.

Working as a VRS (Video Relay Service) Terp must be a hard gig, right? I mean always signing, non-stop...one call after another. Busy, busy, busy...all the time.

Working as a VRS (Video Relay Service) Terp must be a hard gig, right? I mean always signing, non-stop...one call after another. Busy, busy, busy...all the time.
Yes indeed. I personally can only work a 6-hour day because when I work 8-hour days, I get home too exhausted to do anything. I know many of my co-workers often work even more than 8 hours in a day, but for me I just can't do it. It's a truly grueling job.

Yes indeed. I personally can only work a 6-hour day because when I work 8-hour days, I get home too exhausted to do anything. I know many of my co-workers often work even more than 8 hours in a day, but for me I just can't do it. It's a truly grueling job.

Stupid question #1: Can two signers, both using a videophone, communicate manually to each other from across the country for free and without a VI?

Stupid question #2: Would such a job be a good starting point, as far as employment, for newbee CI's? Or is working for an agency best for the new CI looking for his/her first opportunity?

Not-so stupid question #3: I understand (not sure) that most VI services are government financed- being the law and all. Would working for such a state run agency, with quality benefits such as top-notch medical insurance, be the ideal choice for me personally in regards to my potential problem with my illness?

Stupid question #1
yes

Stupid question #2:

i would say....no. althought thats how i did it, i wouldn't recommend it to other new terps. Agencies, are definately the best. the reason VRS is so much harder, in my opinion, is the level of voicing that is required. in all my other interpreting situations, voicing is little to none. Voicing in a VRS situation is critical, not to mention you are also working in an intimate register, which alot of people aren't comfortable with, but happens to suit me just fine.

Not-so stupid question #3

its been my expierence, that most of all itnerpreting jobs are part-time/freelance/contract. in these situations, there's no benefits....vacation, sick, health ins...nada. Most places you work however do have staff positions with benefits, but are quite limited in the number of positions they have available.
the benefits to each type of employment are quite significant, as are the downsides.

part-time/freelance you set your own schedule, and accept for deny jobs on an individual basis, and dont have to do anything you dont want to do. however, no guaranteed hours, no benefits.

contract is guaranteed work for the duration of your contract, no benefits usually

full-time has beenfits, guaranteed hours, but absolutly no flexibility in hours, and often no discretion in what or where you interpret.

In regards to all postions available for Terps (question #3), would an entry-level position permit me to affort a modest living (where daily expenses are comfortibly met) and, at the same time, be able to pay for individual health insurance (high cost in Florida) for my medical treatment and drugs? A general, ballpark answer would be fine.

Stupid question #1: Can two signers, both using a videophone, communicate manually to each other from across the country for free and without a VI?
Yes, videophones work this way too. However, videophones are expensive for hearing people - deaf people can usually get them free.
Stupid question #2: Would such a job be a good starting point, as far as employment, for newbee CI's? Or is working for an agency best for the new CI looking for his/her first opportunity?
Only if you have really outstanding receptive skills. Working in VRS requires a lot of experience in understanding all different kinds of people.
Not-so stupid question #3: I understand (not sure) that most VI services are government financed- being the law and all. Would working for such a state run agency, with quality benefits such as top-notch medical insurance, be the ideal choice for me personally in regards to my potential problem with my illness?
I'm not sure what you mean here. VRS is not run by the government, it's funded by the FCC but it's run by competitive private companies. Also, state-run organizations don't typically have top-notch benefits. There are interpreting jobs working for state governments, but I wouldn't go for one just because you think it will have great benefits.

In regards to all postions available for Terps (question #3), would an entry-level position permit me to affort a modest living (where daily expenses are comfortibly met) and, at the same time, be able to pay for individual health insurance (high cost in Florida) for my medical treatment and drugs? A general, ballpark answer would be fine.
Yes, if you are qualified, you would certainly get a decent salary, and if you didn't have benefits, you would be able to buy your own health insurance. That's exactly what I've done in the past. You're right, pre-existing conditions are pretty tough, but you can usually find somebody. I have pre-existing conditions too and I was able to do it when I was working freelance. :)

i live in a part of the country that is considered *ridiculously* cheap to live in....and im just now entering the field, but i have years of expierence in Deaf culture. but in terms of money, im doubling on an hourly basis what i was making before, doing unskilled labor...

itnerpreting is a service industry, you wont become rich, but you wont starve either.

Just out of curiosity, would the uncertified Terp (generally speaking) struggle financially? In general please (as a whole) and regardless of region and type of work performed.

If you would like to give me a figure, please PM me that info and do not post such a (estimated) figure if you feel uncomfortable doing so. I would like to get an idea so as to paint a better picture of my future as a Terp (CI or not). Thanks.

like i said, you wont be rich. but you will be able to afford the nessecities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back