Terps: what do you think of this?

This is a deaf interpreter. You can see that she is copying someone's signs because she's not matching the singer at all.

Until there is proof of this I repeat:

I've been on a professional sports stadium floor before the game and you can hardly hear yourself think. It's INCREDIBLY loud, so it's possible she could not hear him singing next to her nor hear the microphone feedback.

And regardless, even if this were true (and having seen CDIs I tend to doubt it), I would expect the person feeding her signs to tell her what was going on and she still has a responsibility to inform her audience.

Ah, very interesting, I hadn't considered the possibility that she was deaf.

I just rewatched the video without sound to see if I noticed anything that would give a clue to this. It's not clear at all whom she's nodding to or if it's just part of her performance; at one point it looks like she's interacting with the photographer and/or the camera.

There are a few things that make me think she is an interpreter and not a performer is that at the very end, she puts her hands up in a "Deaf wave." It seems odd that a performer would do this for her own performance, whereas an interpreter would definitely convey the applause of the arena.

Secondly, and I'm not trying to be mean here, but that was not like any true Deaf performance I've ever seen. Her signing was mostly very tight and repetitive, with very little body involvement. Deaf performers I have seen doing both this song and original poetry...well, it is ASL poetry. This just looks like straightforward interpretation, without the depth of feeling that native signers convey when performing.

Also, she was dressed all in black. Not that a performer wouldn't be, but she wouldn't have to be. She just looks like an interpreter to me, and not a native signer.

I've been on a professional sports stadium floor before the game and you can hardly hear yourself think. It's INCREDIBLY loud, so it's possible she could not hear him singing next to her nor hear the microphone feedback. That might explain her lack of communication about what was happening, in fact. Except there's no way you wouldn't hear an entire stadium singing in unison.

There is also a lag time between speaking and sound being transmitted through the PA system in an environment like a stadium.

There is also a lag time between speaking and sound being transmitted through the PA system in an environment like a stadium.

...and then additionally between the terp's reception and her interpretation.

I don't think she's deaf because she looked at the boy like she is waiting for him to continue or something.
I don't think this says anything about whether she is deaf or not. If you cannot hear what is going on, and you think you have lost the rhythm, you would look at the singer and figure out if they were still singing or not. Whether you cannot hear because you are deaf, or you cannot hear because there is noise around you, you would still try to figure out visually what is going on.

Sorry I couldn't find anything on this, Reba! I did find a few names of people who were honored with awards at this event, but nothing about who sang or signed the National Anthem.

...Sorry I couldn't find anything on this, Reba! I did find a few names of people who were honored with awards at this event, but nothing about who sang or signed the National Anthem.
Same here. Just about every third-party search result just pointed back to the video.

Back