Terps welcome?

Hen

Reaction score
I noticed there's an interpreter section.. google searches for interpreter related things brought me to the board.

Is it ok for me to be here?

I go by the name of Hen online. I am into digital art (appreciating and creating), I love ASL and I'm an NIC certified interpreter.

I'm not sure what else to say? Feel free to ask q's :)

Sure, terps are more than welcome here. :)

Welcome to AD! :)

I have a question I'd like to ask you. Have you ever done tactile sign with a deafblind client before? If so, what was that experience like? The reason I ask is because there is a severe shortage of tactile terps in the deafblind community.

Welcome to AllDeaf! :) Terps are more welcome here.

Sure, terps are more than welcome here. :)

Welcome to AD! :)

I have a question I'd like to ask you. Have you ever done tactile sign with a deafblind client before? If so, what was that experience like? The reason I ask is because there is a severe shortage of tactile terps in the deafblind community.

No, I have not done tactile interpreting yet. I lived in Seattle for a time and intended on learning - but have moved (I miss seattle!!!) and there's not much of a demand for it in my area right now.

Thank you for the warm welcomes. :D

ps- bottessini I LOVE your signature! <3

No, I have not done tactile interpreting yet. I lived in Seattle for a time and intended on learning - but have moved (I miss seattle!!!) and there's not much of a demand for it in my area right now.

Thank you for the warm welcomes. :D

ps- bottessini I LOVE your signature! <3

Thank you for answering my question. :)

In my area, we only have 3 tactile terps.

If you ever have questions about deafblindness, deafblind terping, etc. please feel free to contact me under my profile anytime! :)

Thank you for answering my question. :)

In my area, we only have 3 tactile terps.

If you ever have questions about deafblindness, deafblind terping, etc. please feel free to contact me under my profile anytime! :)

Thank you, I'll do that.

Actually, I have 2 family members who are deaf and going blind. One of them is already legally blind (can't drive any more) and the other is on his way.. (both have usher's syndrome)

I have general feelings of unrest about the situation... especially with the 2nd person who is on his way to being legally blind but refusing to acknowledge it. He's still driving a car. He's not really bad off right now but it disturbs me when he can't see where his children are when they're right next to him. (He'll start looking around in the distance frantically and then finally see them right next to him).

Thank you, I'll do that.

Actually, I have 2 family members who are deaf and going blind. One of them is already legally blind (can't drive any more) and the other is on his way.. (both have usher's syndrome)

I have general feelings of unrest about the situation... especially with the 2nd person who is on his way to being legally blind but refusing to acknowledge it. He's still driving a car. He's not really bad off right now but it disturbs me when he can't see where his children are when they're right next to him. (He'll start looking around in the distance frantically and then finally see them right next to him).

You're welcome! :)

Yes -- coming to terms with legal blindness can be difficult.

My congenital total blindness was caused by retinopathy of prematurity/ROP.

Based on the description of your family member who still drives, it sounds as if he may have tunnel vision (i.e. retinitis pigmentosa).

Yes -- coming to terms with legal blindness can be difficult.

My congenital total blindness was caused by retinopathy of prematurity/ROP.

Based on the description of your family member who still drives, it sounds as if he may have tunnel vision.

Yea. I agree. He does have RP. Isn't that part of Usher's Syndrome? His peripheral vision seems to be gone. He tells me his vision will never decrease- just that it will maintain where it is right now. He's also very sensitive to light (like when I'm standing outside his door he has to wear sunglasses to talk) and bright colors even are a bother.

Isn't that really a scary/dangerous thing to have tunnel vision and still be driving a car?

How are you able to access information online when you're deaf/blind? I ask out of curiosity, please don't be offended.

Yea. I agree. He does have RP. Isn't that part of Usher's Syndrome? His peripheral vision seems to be gone. He tells me his vision will never decrease- just that it will maintain where it is right now. He's also very sensitive to light (like when I'm standing outside his door he has to wear sunglasses to talk) and bright colors even are a bother.

Isn't that really a scary/dangerous thing to have tunnel vision and still be driving a car?

How are you able to access information online when you're deaf/blind? I ask out of curiosity, please don't be offended.

Yes, RP is a part of Ushers Syndrome.

There are 3 types of Ushers Syndrome:

Type I: Individuals with Ushers Syndrome Type I are typically born completely deaf or lose most of their hearing within the first year of life. Progressive vision loss caused by RP becomes apparent sometime during childhood.

Type II: Ushers Syndrome Type II is characterized by hearing loss from birth and progressive vision loss that begins in adolescence or adulthood. The hearing loss associated with this form of Ushers ranges from mild to severe and mainy affects the high frequencies. The degree of hearing loss varies among families.

Type III: People with Ushers Syndrome Type III experience progressive hearing loss and vision loss beginning in the first few decades of life. Unlike Ushers Syndrome Type I and II, infants born with Type III Ushers are usually born with normal hearing. By middle age, most individuals are profoundly deaf. Vision loss caused by RP develops in late childhood or adolescence.

I agree with you about the dangers of driving if one has tunnel vision. Personally, I'm of the opinion that anyone with legal blindness should not drive.
I'm more than happy to answer your question about how I use the Internet. :) I use a screen reader (called Window-Eyes) which sends information that appears on the computer screen to a Braille display where it can be read by me. This information can also be spoken aloud by a synthetic voice. (Since I have bilateral CIs, I use both speech and Braille.) I'm able to move up, down, left, right, character by character, word by word, sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph and page by page by issuing keyboard commands to the screen reader. I can read a variety of documents (except those that contain graphical information since screen readers can't recognize them) including MS Word documents, text files, websites and e-mail.

I've been using computers since 1984. The first computer I ever used was an Apple IIe. I'm now using a Dell with Windows Premium Home Edition.

I consider myself fortunate to be living in a day and age when all of this amazing technology is possible! :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed response about Usher's syndrome.

That sounds like some AWESOME software! I'll be sure to share that info with my family.

I used to have an apple IIe!

Thank you for the detailed response about Usher's syndrome.

That sounds like some AWESOME software! I'll be sure to share that info with my family.

I used to have an apple IIe!

As I said, anytime you have questions about deafblindness, please feel free to send me a message anytime!

The Apple IIe was a great computer! I didn't own one myself (instead, I used one in school), but my best friend did and it worked perfectly for over 10 years.

For nostalgia's sake, I'd love to purchase an Apple IIe on eBay and get ahold of the older DOS programs that it used.

Last edited:
Is it ok for me to be here?

We need to lay some ground rules first. Hearing people are only allowed here if they bring free beer for everybody. This is a firmly established rule which cannot be circumvented—sorry. Before you go any farther, we'll need to see some evidence of good faith. I think two full kegs would be an appropriate starting gesture.

The guy with the chimpanzee mug gets unlimited refills, and a guaranteed designated driver.

Hop to it—we're not getting any younger here.

Back