Target Getting the Message - Stock Drops 7%

Cheri said:
Well, That's their place of business, If they don't want those Salvation Army standing by their doorway, That's their business. Sometimes those Salvation Army annoyed me because every time I shop at a store, they are always there wanting more money when you already donated some.

I will still shop at Target and Walmart.

and about banning "Merry Christmas" I think they are respecting each person who have different religion. I see nothing wrong with that. It bugs me when the world thinks about themselves instead of others.

I bet Salvation Army is using tactics to make customers feel guilty for not donating enough for the poor people. Yet, the ringers need to earn extra bucks than that state wage. Also, SA does not offer them for health benefits....

i shop at Target -- never liked Walfart

Kuifje is right -- alot of companies does have a right to ban solicitation in front of their stores

ive noticed theres the salvation army bell ringers are out front of grocery stores more often

Wal-Mart also changing the Policy, too.....

HOLIDAY BLUES
Wal-Mart faces boycott
for 'banning' Christmas
Top retailer accused of discrimination while promoting Kwanzaa, Hanukkah
Posted: November 10, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Joe Kovacs for© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A Catholic advocacy group has launched a national boycott against Wal-Mart, claiming the world's No. 1 retailer has in effect "banned" Christmas, while promoting other seasonal holidays such as Hanukkah and Kwanzaa.

But Wal-Mart tells WorldNetDaily it has "absolutely not" banned Christmas, but is just "trying to serve all our customers for the holiday season."

According to the New York-based Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, the controversy was sparked when a woman recently complained to Wal-Mart that the store was replacing its "Merry Christmas" greeting with "Happy Holidays."

~~~~~

Hey DoofusMama, Are you going to start on sign petition, too?

Salv Army is one of many charity organizations out there (I favor NAACP & AmeriCares for myself). I am not aware that all charity organizations collect money at stores or malls. It's also smart on the business's part to forbid solicitation because it would make diverse customers uncomforable & spend money on it instead of the retailers' items. I understand that POV. That not to say I am against charities. I think Salv Army can just solicit money at malls, not in the stores.. and let other charities do the same.

I absolutely support good will, and there are more tactful ways of receiving charity than being aggressive about it ya know? I have donated to a few charities and I do it because I really want to, not because I feel obliged to. People should not feel obliged, and I think Salv Army and other charities's aggressive solicitations are just probably misplaced thoughtfulness. Some people really do want to help out there and that's nice.

"Banned Christmas?" I think that's just a spin, not necessarily reflecting what is really going on. It is important for truth to play a part in our lives, too, ya know? I hate it when spin doctors insult my intelligence by not leaving room for discernment.

Hey DoofusMama, Are you going to start on sign petition, too?

Yes, I did....
But you guys have different opinions.. I cannot judge but will be nice to support..

I have support Salvation Army because... first of all... many many hours I worked for Salvation Army so my dad, too.. we didnt make any wages.. we donated our time to show our support to homeless people and poor families.. We love to see poor homeless kids bring smiles and we gave them clothes and foods.. the best time of year, Thanksgiving.. You could see many people and kids in line... and at the end.. hand out winter coats, mittens, hats and blanket..

Since, I grew up volunteering work with Salvation Army and my parents too..
They collect monies and foods and clothings.. and give to hardship or poor families or homeless or devesated from storms & fires. They supported me when I lost the house and had hardships for long time being single mom...

But of course, I am disappointed with some companies.. and take away the traditional christain Christmas themes... Now days, things changed and being greedy... I am praying for those people find in bottom of hearts to start giving the in need people/families..

God Bless you all.. and Have a warm & safety Thanksgiving, give thanks and thanks for wonderful things that HE up above have given us and all AND-- Christmas too .. and in Spirits of Jesus-- ...

I don't like Target and Walmart! I never buy anything at Walmart. I rarely buy things at Target. I still don't like Target!! I hate K-Mart!

Momoftwo

Big Deal. They are not having Merry Christmas. Do they have Happy Hanukkah?? or any of the other holidays? Maybe people feel offended with Merry Christmas all over the place.

I went to Target today... and there were many parking space... And there were fewer shoppers. There were less cashiers and no greeters. I was shopping for Jones Soda with Turkey and Gravy flavors, but they didn't have any. I was so disappointed. I passed by Walmart, oh gosh :eek: , parking lot was so full. Walmart must be crowded...

You GOTTA be kidding me.

I work in DT Minneapolis. I work for Target in Community Relations. Jsut because we don't allow bell ringers doesn't mean we don't give Salvation Army money. Fer cryin' out loud. Target was just named the top giver of all retailers. They give over $52 million a year to non-profits (including grants and in-kind donations to Salvation Army.) I get SO sick of having people downtown ask me for money. I'm not kidding. YOu can't have lunch or walk down the street or through the skyway without people (not PERSON, but PEOPLE) asking you for money. A person would like to go somewhere and NOT get asked for a donation once in a while.

It's about NOT making guests feel pressured to give. We support United Way, but again, guests are not solicited, and it's not allowed!

Try learning a little about all the work that Target does in every community where they have stores. It's TRULY amazing. TRULY. Target Community Relations

Unless you're enmeshed in it, you can't begin to grasp all that Target does. It's really something else.

You can boycott your brains out, but all you're doing is shortchanging yourself and your community...and showing your own ignorance.

Greypoupon,

I don't like Target myself - not because of banning salvation army and merry christmas. I simply don't like Target due to their poor quality. Same thing with Walmart and KMart.

You like Target because you work there so it makes you proud. That's fine.

Yes, Dayton's owner owns Target. Dayton's is a nice department store.

Momoftwo

That is true about being pressured. I hate walking out of a store and people wanting donations. IF and when I can make donations, I'll send it in.

greypoupon said:
You GOTTA be kidding me.

I work in DT Minneapolis. I work for Target in Community Relations. Jsut because we don't allow bell ringers doesn't mean we don't give Salvation Army money. Fer cryin' out loud. Target was just named the top giver of all retailers. They give over $52 million a year to non-profits (including grants and in-kind donations to Salvation Army.) I get SO sick of having people downtown ask me for money. I'm not kidding. YOu can't have lunch or walk down the street or through the skyway without people (not PERSON, but PEOPLE) asking you for money. A person would like to go somewhere and NOT get asked for a donation once in a while.

It's about NOT making guests feel pressured to give. We support United Way, but again, guests are not solicited, and it's not allowed!

Try learning a little about all the work that Target does in every community where they have stores. It's TRULY amazing. TRULY. Target Community Relations

Unless you're enmeshed in it, you can't begin to grasp all that Target does. It's really something else.

You can boycott your brains out, but all you're doing is shortchanging yourself and your community...and showing your own ignorance.

I am not ignorant, if I am, I wouldn't shop at Target today.

Forbes Magazine article

BTW, Dayton's doesn't own Target. It used to be the parent company, but several years ago, things were reorganized/changed, and Target Corporation became the parent company, but has since divested itself of Marshall Fields (formerly Daytons) as well as Mervyn's.

I'm not proud of Target because I work there. I work here because I believe they are a strong corporate citizen, and I want to be a part of it. Also because it pays the bills.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
you don't know anything about Marketing.

Walmart will use this to attract more people to go
to their stores.

It is like Walmart and Target are running a presidential race...

Walmart is like Republican Conservative and Target is like Democrat Liberals.

And Christians will go for Walmart. :D

This is also another interesting perspective about
Marketing theory & analogy....

I really dont care about which store to buy as long they has a good quality... I usually shop at Walmart for food or items I need but as for clothes, I shop at Walmart, if i dont like what i see, I shop elsewhere... I have no compliant...

DoofusMama said:
Yes, I did....
But you guys have different opinions.. I cannot judge but will be nice to support..

I have support Salvation Army because... first of all... many many hours I worked for Salvation Army so my dad, too.. we didnt make any wages.. we donated our time to show our support to homeless people and poor families.. We love to see poor homeless kids bring smiles and we gave them clothes and foods.. the best time of year, Thanksgiving.. You could see many people and kids in line... and at the end.. hand out winter coats, mittens, hats and blanket..

Since, I grew up volunteering work with Salvation Army and my parents too..
They collect monies and foods and clothings.. and give to hardship or poor families or homeless or devesated from storms & fires. They supported me when I lost the house and had hardships for long time being single mom...

But of course, I am disappointed with some companies.. and take away the traditional christain Christmas themes... Now days, things changed and being greedy... I am praying for those people find in bottom of hearts to start giving the in need people/families..

God Bless you all.. and Have a warm & safety Thanksgiving, give thanks and thanks for wonderful things that HE up above have given us and all AND-- Christmas too .. and in Spirits of Jesus-- ...

I understand how you feel Annie. I'm sorry that you're disappointing. You have every right to feel that way. There are some stores I don't agree with how they run their business, But what can I really do? ;)

And by the way that was so nice of Salvation Army being there to help you and your family. :ily:

Back