Taking ASL class

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
My girlfriend is planning to take an ASL class to talk to me. I'm very, very proud of her. The class itself costs $125 plus $30 for a book.

My question is whether it's feasible to learn ASL via Android or I phone applications? That way $155 would be spent for a better use.

The class will be at a local deaf run organization. ASL teacher is deaf.

It's a 12 week class, 2 hours each class. Therefore, she'll have 24 hours of ASL practice. What do you think?

I think that $125 plus a $30 book is reasonable. There's no way to correctly learn any language from a phone app.

She better practice a lot more than 24 hours if she expects to learn anything. Those 24 hours are instruction time, not practice time. One practices the language outside of class time.

I can't think of a better way to spend $155.

My girlfriend is planning to take an ASL class to talk to me. I'm very, very proud of her. The class itself costs $125 plus $30 for a book.

My question is whether it's feasible to learn ASL via Android or I phone applications? That way $155 would be spent for a better use.

The class will be at a local deaf run organization. ASL teacher is deaf.

It's a 12 week class, 2 hours each class. Therefore, she'll have 24 hours of ASL practice. What do you think?

Think about this....

$155 now.......... for ASL classes that will last forever if your girlfriend learns it and uses it to communicate with you....

How many pen and paper will that save? how many headache pills will that save?

:)

I'm just looking at the return on investment here and it looks pretty damn good.

And........ $155 is pretty cheap.

Think about this....

$155 now.......... for ASL classes that will last forever if your girlfriend learns it and uses it to communicate with you....

How many pen and paper will that save? how many headache pills will that save?

:)

I'm just looking at the return on investment here and it looks pretty damn good.

And........ $155 is pretty cheap.

Yeah $155 is pretty cheap... the classes here are 500+ a semester... my moms asl class, also by a Deaf org is 250... so I think you are getting a pretty good deal. Do the class.

I'm in Canada and payed the same price. I can guarantee it's worth it! Just the immersion it gives is very powerful. It encourages my Deaf friend, my Hearing girlfriend and I (who is Hearing too) to use ASL more and more in our daily lives.

Last edited:
My question is whether it's feasible to learn ASL via Android or I phone applications?

Yes, in theory, but you would get much more benefit from structured instruction along with interaction with other signers. Learning sign language on your own is possible but extremely difficult.

Also, I would recommend Lifeprint.com over any app you might find.

Back