Tactile signing

No problem, I hope it works as well for you as it did for us.
(I was the worst/slowest at the end because of their tactile accuracy - I think they learned shortcuts with how the finger hands are held)

I am very interested in Tactile Signing. I am fluent in ASL sign language. Is Tactile Signing the same as ASL signs?
Is there a manual describing tactile signs? We have a deaf blind person in our congregation and I true would like to help him.

I met a deaf-blind man last weekend. He hadn't lost his eyesight until later in life, so he was fluent in regular ASL before that. To communicate with him, I just signed ASL and he felt my hands. Pretty amazing how he could understand everything without being able to see my mouth morphemes. I assume he was just very sensitive to how one tensed their arms and fingers.

I was fascinated. I'd like to train myself to understand tactile ASL so that I can communicate in the dark if necessary.

Do you know what I think would be a neat idea? Having a rehab style class/camp for those who are late Deaf Blind. Actually I thought they DID.....the Helen Keller National Center
Welcome to the Helen Keller National Center Home Page
They don't seem to offer ASL/tactile stuff ....they should. But I'd contact them and see what they offer!

Back