Swearing Makes You Feel Less Pain (?)

rockin'robin

Reaction score
That muttered curse word that reflexively comes out when you stub your toe could actually make it easier to bear the throbbing pain, a new study suggests.

Swearing is a common response to pain, but no previous research has connected the uttering of an expletive to the actual physical experience of pain.

"Swearing has been around for centuries and is an almost universal human linguistic phenomenon," said Richard Stephens of Keele University in England and one of the authors of the new study. "It taps into emotional brain centers and appears to arise in the right brain, whereas most language production occurs in the left cerebral hemisphere of the brain."

Stephens and his fellow Keele researchers John Atkins and Andrew Kingston sought to test how swearing would affect an individual's tolerance to pain.

Because swearing often has an exaggerating effect that can overstate the severity of pain, the team thought that swearing would lessen a person's tolerance.

As it turned out, the opposite seems to be true.

The researchers enlisted 64 undergraduate volunteers and had them submerge their hand in a tub of ice water for as long as possible while repeating a swear word of their choice.

The experiment was then repeated with the volunteer repeating a more common word that they would use to describe a table.

Contrary to what the researcher expected, the volunteers kept their hands submerged longer while repeating the swear word.

The researchers think that the increase in pain tolerance occurs because swearing triggers the body's natural "fight-or-flight" response.

Stephens and his colleagues suggest that swearing may increase aggression (seen in accelerated heart rates), which downplays weakness to appear stronger or more macho.

"Our research shows one potential reason why swearing developed and why it persists," Stephens said.

The results of the study are detailed in the Aug. 5 issue of the journal NeuroReport.

Swearing Makes You Feel Less Pain - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

Welllll, like I don't swear. But when I used to, it was to express the anger and the hurt that I felt towards my family. It didn't lessen the pain, obviously, but it did express the pain that I felt. But now I just don't bother describing to my family about what they did because it's just a waste of time, haha.

When I broke my little toe, I cussed like crazy...It did help me distract myself from the pain. Was a reaction...it was not a time to be polite! LOL!

When my finger got shut in the car door. I swore up, and down the house,pacing around.

My finger was fractured and my finger nail was black.

I do not know if it helped with the pain. The pain is what got me swearing! :dunno:

But I do remember taking a little pill, at the hospital that made me feel less pain! :giggle:

Does it really help to cuss and swear when ur in pain?...I dunno, but giving childbirth to my 2 children....I cussed the doctors and nurses out, swearing like a sailor!...It helped forget the pain for a few seconds I think...

Can you imagine the labor rooms at all hospitals? Where women are giving birth?...Wish there were a CC video about it!

I dropped a heavy bottle on my big toe, it busted the toenail and I cussed, ranted & raved for hours....

I swear almost all the time when I get hurt.... it's just an habit I guess.... so like every time I bang my toe against a furniture or got my finger caught into something, I would swear out.

One time when my foot stepped onto glass and glass went into my foot, I cussed so loud and rant on an on while hopping around holding my hurt foot. it didn't really take the pain off but it made me feel a bit better when I express how I exactly felt.

I'm not much of a swearing person at all... but I think that I actually swear quite some words when I hurt myself :giggle:

I generally don't swear much at all, but I think ANYTIME I hurt myself I do swear !!!!

i swear worse than a sailor :mad2:

Does it really help to cuss and swear when ur in pain?...I dunno, but giving childbirth to my 2 children....I cussed the doctors and nurses out, swearing like a sailor!...It helped forget the pain for a few seconds I think...

Can you imagine the labor rooms at all hospitals? Where women are giving birth?...Wish there were a CC video about it!

I dropped a heavy bottle on my big toe, it busted the toenail and I cussed, ranted & raved for hours....

I'm with Robin. I question whether it ACTUALLY helps with the pain, but I can definitely see a placebo effect, maybe?

I admit to letting the four-letter-words fly when I hurt myself. The exception, of course, is when the kids are around me. Then, I sound like an idiot!

Oh, ffffff-udge! :laugh2:

My friends and I swear often when we play board games. It happens cause each of us always get bad luck from rolling the dice and getting certain numbers. We always have a lot of fun though. (loud laughter and red faces with tears running kind of laughter)

total :bsflag:

i live with cronic pain and cuss alot. cussin' don't help at all

When the two year old horse I was training, body slammed me into the wall..I said a few choice words.

During childbirth, my first son I swore one time. (Video taped) the second child, EPIDURAL! No swearing!, Third child..Epidulra! Again no swearing!

I am not much of a swearer myself.. but if I am extremely mad, I may say a few choice words. Or I may change them a little... LIke Shiet.... Flock,....lol

Last saturday I hurt my toe by bumping into something and I said F word when I was in pain. When it happen to me, I do swear.

When I am on a construction job I swear alot. And yes I am in pain. When I am off the job I don't swear and I am not in pain. Hmmmm.

I don't think it actually eases the pain BUT it does actually ease your pent up emotion once you feel the pain shooting up in your body. So, I think that would be understandable as to why it would be a psychological effect.

I have cussed like a mad woman whenever I get myself hurt, lol - But to come to think of it, I still could feel the pain when I cuss. Whenever I swear while being hurt, it kinds of feels better getting it out rather than tenting it inside.

Swearing words are generally action words. Actions that have some passion behind them. So just tracking this out it is passionate action that counterattacks pain. Or words that describe passionate action and these words are nice short punchy soundbites or can easily be broken into them by the way they are said. I don't say, " oh passionate action!!", when I smash my finger. Just doesn't work. There has to be some k's and t's and d's in there to have the right amount of whallop. It is a way to not just cuss the bad luck, but cuss the fact of it, and to cuss the way it is going to hurt in the future. That is three things all at once. All out of one set words. Excellent productivity and seems to be effective as well. Not only that it lets everyone within hearing distance know how passionately productive you are being so that is good too! So then if
someone asks you, "what is going on? Are you hurt?", you say," Oh no I am just being Passionately Productive!".
On that note I better get back to my home project here.

Back