Suspected pitbull attack, kills pregnant pro-pitbull woman

If breed isn't an issue, then why can't I have a lion roaming around in my neighborhood? It's just a CAT for crying out loud!!! :giggle:

Here Kitty, kitty, kitty!!

Pit bulls do not really make good pets. They are like ticking time bombs. You will never know when they "snap" and attack you all of a sudden. Their bite strength weights over 2,000 pounds soooo yeah it is difficult to release yourself when the pit bull locks its jaws on you. They are one of the strongest canines I ever seen.

Pit bulls do not really make good pets. They are like ticking time bombs. You will never know when they "snap" and attack you all of a sudden. Their bite strength weights over 2,000 pounds soooo yeah it is difficult to release yourself when the pit bull locks its jaws on you. They are one of the strongest canines I ever seen.

That's what the newspapers tell you.

Steel, see previous posts in this thread that attempt to dispel these myths some people keep bringing up.

MYTH #1: Pit bulls have locking jaws <NOT>

MYTH #2: Pit Bulls are "ticking time bombs" and will "snap" <NOT>

as Banjo stated - media likes to perpetuate these MYTHS but they are FALSE

YES, Dixie!

I know you :giggle:Stein but people can make that claim more seriously and I'll just put that - lions and wolves, chimps etc - all wild animals and I do not agree with having them as "pets". just sayin'

Wolves and dogs actually have very different social systems and behaviors, and dog behavior has been very mistakenly matched with wolf behavior, causing many problems.

true that cats are generally solitary predators but they ARE trainable using reward-based methods as we should be using with dogs - use of food, toys, other rewards that the animal finds rewarding. Basic training principle - organisms do what works for them, so if u find what the cat wants <usually meat - same as dogs> and use THAT to encourage, catch or shape behaviors, then you will get those behaviors so long as you're consistent and not punishing.

reputable shelters and rescues will not adopt out a Pittie that has been proven to show aggression toward people. Human aggression is actually totally opposite of what the type is about.

You can tame wolves and keep them for pets - and I know a man who does. But you can never tame the "wild" out of a coyote.

I'd consider that to be human-socialized <wolves> as opposed to true domestication like a dog. However, they're still wild animals and interacting with a wolf the way one would a dog will -someday - likely cause someone serious injury.
see this article from research center Wolf Park on how wolves and dogs differ:

<below copy/paste from Wolf Park Center in Battle Ground Ind, United States>
How are wolves different from dogs?

How a dog is different from a wolf depends on the breed of dog. Of course, breeds such as the Chihuahua are very different from wolves — they are much smaller, and have big brown pop-eyes, domed heads, etc., which wolves do not have. There are several breeds of dog, including the German Shepherd, the malamute, and the Siberian husky, which look like wolves to some extent. In general, wolves have broader heads, smaller, more rounded ears with fur in them, narrower chests, longer legs, and do not have a clear white "mask" on their faces like malamutes and huskies. Wolves also do not have curled tails (like chows or huskies), floppy ears (like beagles), dark brown eyes, or pink noses.

Wolves also behave very differently from dogs. Dogs have been bred by humans for thousands of years to do a lot of different things that wolves do not naturally do, like bark a lot at intruders (wolves would rather run away) or to herd, rather than chase and kill, sheep. Dogs are also more tolerant of humans touching and petting them, and do not display as much hunting and rank-order maintenance behavior as do wolves. Dogs behave as pets: they orient to humans, regard humans as dominant animals, and usually do not kill domestic animals. Wolves, of course, behave like the wild animals they are.

It can be very difficult to tell whether a wolf-like animal is a wolf or a dog. There are no genetic tests or physical measurements which can tell for sure. The best way is to take the animal to an expert, who will make an educated guess based on the animal's physical appearance and behavior.

Some people breed their dogs with wolves and make wolf hybrids. These animals come in many shapes and sizes and they are not always very wolf-like. Since breeders can get more money for a wolf hybrid than for a dog, some may sell mixed-breed dog puppies as wolf hybrids. Later on, people who bought dog puppies will buy a real wolf hybrid and get into trouble. Wolf hybrids which act like wolves can be a lot of trouble as pets. They will hunt small animals and other pets, eat furniture, and mark their territory, like wolves, by urinating all over the house. Very dog-like wolf hybrids usually survive longer as pets. But because no two wolf hybrids are alike, it is hard to tell what kind of animal — wolf-like or dog-like — a wolf hybrid puppy will be when it grows up. The owner may end up with a destructive, wolf-like pet instead of a dog-like, friendly animal.

It is very hard to keep a wolf-like wolf hybrid as a pet and many people give up and have to have their animals put to sleep or sent to "rescue" facilities. While some people do keep pet wolf hybrids and enjoy them, generally it is not a good idea to keep a wolf hybrid as a pet. There is already a kind of wolf you can keep in the house: it is called the dog (Canis lupus familiaris).

<end copy>

Very true.......If I ever see a loose pitbull, I'll grab my loaded shotgun and shoot the dog's ass. You dont take no chances with them.

Wild animals do not make good pets at all. Wildlife should remain in the wild. I have never liked the idea of having wolf-hybrids as I was afraid there would begin to be wolf-hybrid puppy mills if there aren't already.

Very true.......If I ever see a loose pitbull, I'll grab my loaded shotgun and shoot the dog's ass. You dont take no chances with them.

That's a felony offense in certain states. You can kiss your precious gun good-bye along with your dignity and freedom. :cool2:

You've never really been around an American Pit Bull Terrier have you? Shame.

Dogs don't "just snap." There are signs of agression that indicate a dog may be dangerous. Working with a professional is important anytime a dog of any breed shows signs of aggression.

I dont know if you're a pitbull lover or not but what are you talking about? Get a clue!

Top Ten (10) Most Dangerous Dog Breeds | Pets Do

um.... from the website you linked -

After in depth research and analyzing the studies performed by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the CDC, and the Humane Society of the United States, we have compiled the top ten most dangerous dog breeds.

I can assure you that whoever compiled it has made a grave grave grave mistake. In fact... whoever compiled it is very ill-informed in how to compile data and statistic and to interpret it.

Why don't you get information from a credible source? such as....... this one - http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf

Summary - CDC's conclusion on breed-specific attacks is INCONCLUSIVE. ALL breeds bite. It only appears that pitbulls has the most bites simply because newspapers exaggerated it. Another factor is that pitbulls are a very popular breed in America... thus increasing number of incidents especially by abusive/careless owners. CDC does not agree that pitbulls are a dangerous breed.
—Although fatal attacks on humans appear to be a breed-specific problem (pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers), other breeds may bite and cause fatalities at higher rates. Because of difficulties inherent in determining a dog’s breed with certainty, enforcement of breed-specific ordinances raises constitutional and practical issues. Fatal attacks represent a small proportion of dog bite injuries to humans and, therefore, should not be the primary factor driving public policy concerning dangerous dogs. Many practical alternatives to breed-specific ordinances exist and hold promise for prevention of dog bites.

I dont know if you're a pitbull lover or not but what are you talking about? Get a clue!

Top Ten (10) Most Dangerous Dog Breeds | Pets Do

Well - I guess we live in a very dog dangerous neighborhood. :giggle: We have Dalmatians, Huskies, Bulldogs, Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Dobermans, Labradors, Poodles, and mixed breeds. A lot of them get loose and the only ones that seem to bite, snap, or terrorize the neighborhood are the mixed breeds. My daughter is able to go up to any of them except the mixed breeds, tie a leash to the collar and get them home without incident. Maybe it's just her. She has had a way with animals for as long as I could remember, but this is one way she helps in the neighborhood. Taking the "escapees" home. The mixed breeds, will snap and snarl and they require having the owner or the pound come out. Oh, and one of the Pit Bull's, was previously used in cock fighting. Now, he is very sweet and docile.

Back