Suspected pitbull attack, kills pregnant pro-pitbull woman

BUT Pits also have done a number of heroic things, here's an example: Sergeant Stubby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and there are other more current examples at this site: Great American Pitbull Terrier Heroes Throughout History

Pits are tenacious with their jaws as are many of the other Terrier-group dogs.

many many factors come into canine aggression toward people and it cannot be simplified to all dogs of a certain type of breed being "monsters".

I've been bitten three times - all my fault, all as a kid doing inappropriate things. None was a Pit. One WAS a Dane.

We have to be careful of what we say, however. Pitbulls are showing up a lot out there for a reason, otherwise why aren't we seeing as much updates of attacks by other temper-like dogs such as the cane corso, huskies, german sheperds, doberman. They can all be pretty dangerous dogs, those annual dog counting statistics are showing pits are coming out number one.

Still, the CHANCE of dying from a pitbull is from the published stats are like, throwing some fast number, a 0.001% chance of dying. That is probably why most of the pitbulls you all encounter don't attack you or your friends, family, because 99.999% of the time, it isn't going to bite you. You have a higher chance of dying from prostate or or ovarian cancer than pitbulls.

Remember up to ~30-50 people die up to a year from dogs, and 50-60% of those are from pitbull and rottweiler types, making it around ~15-25 ish people dying from them. There are a lot of published studies online that show this percentage if you look.

What about the rest?
You see, since they account for the rest of the attacks, but they simply aren't that high of a number.
If a pitbull death were a 0.001% chance, a sheperd death would be like a 0.0001%, a chihuahua 0.0000000000000000001%, but something like getting struck by lightning is 0.003% or getting in a car accident is like 10%.

We have to be careful of what we say, however. Pitbulls are showing up a lot out there for a reason, otherwise why aren't we seeing as much updates of attacks by other temper-like dogs such as the cane corso, huskies, german sheperds, doberman. They can all be pretty dangerous dogs, those annual dog counting statistics are showing pits are coming out number one.

Still, the CHANCE of dying from a pitbull is from the published stats are like, throwing some fast number, a 0.001% chance of dying. That is probably why most of the pitbulls you all encounter don't attack you or your friends, family, because 99.999% of the time, it isn't going to bite you. You have a higher chance of dying from prostate or or ovarian cancer than pitbulls.

Remember up to ~30-50 people die up to a year from dogs, and 50-60% of those are from pitbull and rottweiler types, making it around ~15-25 ish people dying from them. There are a lot of published studies online that show this percentage if you look.

What about the rest?
You see, since they account for the rest of the attacks, but they simply aren't that high of a number.
If a pitbull death were a 0.001% chance, a sheperd death would be like a 0.0001%, a chihuahua 0.0000000000000000001%, but something like getting struck by lightning is 0.003% or getting in a car accident is like 10%.

Lets ban all cars!! :shock:

So, I was breastfeeding my pit bull in the Olive Garden. . .

Well, here's a fact a lot of people are not aware of... Pitbull is not a breed. It is a category of several breeds lumped into one. A lot of people wouldn't know a pitbull if it bit them in the ass.

By the way, I used to work in the newspaper industry. I can tell you this without hesitation, their goal is to make money and they do it by scaring the people on a frequent basis. They know this type of tactic is often successful in getting more people to buy their newspapers. So far, it has worked quite well. They often don't print stories about other breeds because they are not perceived as violent and rabid. For instance, a Pomeranian. Never mind the fact that a Pomeranian is perfectly capable of killing an infant and yes, it has happened on more than one occasion.

Do you know how the name, Pitbull came into form? These dogs were not originally designed for dog fighting, they were designed for bull baiting.

Yes - THAT <above> -pit bull is a type and most people when presented with a group picture of a bunch of dogs of similar size and body shape, told to find "the pit bull" - will mis-identify
people have thought my Lab I just lost, was a Pitty.

A few months ago, my friend's small dog got killed by his sister's pit bull and it was out of blue - they mingled together just fine for years and all the sudden, the pit bull snapped out and killed his dog. :( He was devastated and he had the pit bull put to sleep.

A few months ago, my friend's small dog got killed by his sister's pit bull and it was out of blue - they mingled together just fine for years and all the sudden, the pit bull snapped out and killed his dog. :( He was devastated and he had the pit bull put to sleep.

thats the whole point of banning dogs like pitbulls, and other hazardous breeds, its the potential to 'turn' that is a very real danger.
too many people argues about size/stereotyping as erroneous but in reality we DO know which breeds have reputations to turn, and that should be addressed. But problem is breeders and those 'owns' or 'keep' certain breeds fought for long to keep their pets are 'examples' it doesnt happen to us but to them , like downplaying the potential of 'turning' by using 'statistics' to win excuses to keep them.

netrox, am so sorry about your friend's small dog!

it's a MYTH that pit bulls will "suddenly turn" -just like all the other myths out there about them
if there is something like a brain tumor, then there is the exception - but as has been stated many times - healthy dogs don't just "suddenly turn" - there were teeny signals that may have been going for a long time and were missed.

breed bans do not work and are misinformed and due to fear and not enough information. Myths on breed bans:
<below copied and pasted from this:Breed-Specific Legislation in the United States

Linda S. Weiss

Michigan State University College of Law (2001)
Publish Date: 2001
Place of Publication: Animal Legal and Historical Web Center
Printable Version

Breed-Specific Legislation in the United States>

Dog control problems are people problems, and are not limited to a breed or mix.

Banning a breed or declaring it inherently vicious punishes those responsible dog owners who are the type of citizens that communities need to keep, not drive away.

Communities that have instituted such bans often find that the irresponsible owners and the criminals who use dogs for illegal purposes simply switch to another breed.

Banning a breed or particular mix of breeds punishes those dogs that are reliable community citizens, therapy dogs, assistance dogs for handicapped owners, search and rescue dogs, drug-sniffing dogs, police dogs, etc., and drives them out of the community.

Breeds and mixes are often difficult to identify.

The "pit bull" is a type of dog bred for fighting, not a specific breed.

Passage of laws that are only enforced on complaint cause two problems: they create disrespect for the law if the authorities require compliance only upon complaint, and they provide ammunition for neighborhood feuds.18

Actually, odds are that your friend missed the warning signs. A lot of people don't even know what signs to look for. The problems were there to start with, people just don't realize it until it's too late.

thats the whole point of banning dogs like pitbulls, and other hazardous breeds, its the potential to 'turn' that is a very real danger.
too many people argues about size/stereotyping as erroneous but in reality we DO know which breeds have reputations to turn, and that should be addressed. But problem is breeders and those 'owns' or 'keep' certain breeds fought for long to keep their pets are 'examples' it doesnt happen to us but to them , like downplaying the potential of 'turning' by using 'statistics' to win excuses to keep them.

But here is the thing - dogs will usually give a visual warning. A lot of people don't recognize these as such and they say "She just 'turned' on me!" A dog doesn't have to bare it's teeth or growl to tell you it's about to bite, but there are visual cues to look out for.

I do agree though that 70% of all statistics are made up (including this one, but it's a rough estimate).

I agree that a pit bull that was raised for dog fighting and shows dominant aggressive behavior in the presence of animals AND people (including children) should be put down. I feel bad for the dog, but I place the blame entirely on the people that bred and raised this dog purely for aggression.

However; if a pit pup is rescued soon enough, it can be rehabilitated, but you have to catch it early. In dogs, it is usually before the age of two before behaviors become permanently ingrained. The younger the pup is rescued, the better. However it can be a double-edged sword, if the pups were bred for aggression. These pups would NOT be suitable for first time animal owners with no experience with bull breeds. And also, not adoptable to homes with children or other pets. These pups would have to be mandatory 'fixed' to stop the aggressive bloodlines in it's tracks.

There are responsible breeders of bull breeds who are registered with respectible breed registries such as the American Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club, and so forth. These breeders typically breed for AKC standard in body condition and temperament. Any aggression results in immediate disqualification. These breeders will often spay and neuter any of their offspring that show aggression. They want to breed the aggression OUT of the pit bull breeds.

On a higher note, I have seen pit bull service dogs that did their job just as well if not better than the next dog.

Pit bull breeds are not 'timebombs' but rather good quality companions if they are matched to the right home, as with ANY pet. :cool2:

But here is the thing - dogs will usually give a visual warning. A lot of people don't recognize these as such and they say "She just 'turned' on me!" A dog doesn't have to bare it's teeth or growl to tell you it's about to bite, but there are visual cues to look out for.

I do agree though that 70% of all statistics are made up (including this one, but it's a rough estimate).
yup

I agree that a pit bull that was raised for dog fighting and shows dominant aggressive behavior in the presence of animals AND people (including children) should be put down. I feel bad for the dog, but I place the blame entirely on the people that bred and raised this dog purely for aggression.
yup i do too

However; if a pit pup is rescued soon enough, it can be rehabilitated, but you have to catch it early. In dogs, it is usually before the age of two before behaviors become permanently ingrained. The younger the pup is rescued, the better. However it can be a double-edged sword, if the pups were bred for aggression. These pups would NOT be suitable for first time animal owners with no experience with bull breeds. And also, not adoptable to homes with children or other pets. These pups would have to be mandatory 'fixed' to stop the aggressive bloodlines in it's tracks.
agree, and also i think the couple in the news werent too careful breeding OUT the aggression, they made a mistake somewhere im sure of that...

There are responsible breeders of bull breeds who are registered with respectible breed registries such as the American Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club, and so forth. These breeders typically breed for AKC standard in body condition and temperament. Any aggression results in immediate disqualification. These breeders will often spay and neuter any of their offspring that show aggression. They want to breed the aggression OUT of the pit bull breeds.
agree, like as above i said, they probably werent stringent enough and then got that 'timebomb'...
On a higher note, I have seen pit bull service dogs that did their job just as well if not better than the next dog.
yes, well didnt know as 'service dogs' unheard of in New Zealand...it is normally associated with gang/Nazi types bullshit or 'tough'...and the ones so called breed as 'Pig Dogs', which is even more dangerous...
Pit bull breeds are not 'timebombs' but rather good quality companions if they are matched to the right home, as with ANY pet. :cool2:
OK, sorry that i fell for the stereotypes but I have meet half a dozen other dog owners/walkers at the river tracks, told me their stories of attackes even showed me their scars AND, all of these ptbullss were 'owned' (stolen more like it) by young-thug wannabes, including a gang member. The situation seems to be that dangerous people makes dangerous dog, bunch of assholes, those low lifes, bogans, petrolheads, gangsta morons etc
yup agreed ok it can go with anyone, even German dogs can be quite dangerous, esp the GSDs even Weimaraners and the more famous - Dobermanns well they Were breed to be guard dogs for the Tax man in Germany about 150 years ago...

If breed isn't an issue, then why can't I have a lion roaming around in my neighborhood? It's just a CAT for crying out loud!!! :giggle:

cats are sole predators, dogs are clan hunters/survivors (social), big difference, this explain why largely dogs are trainable and cats generally aren't

YES, Dixie!

I know you :giggle:Stein but people can make that claim more seriously and I'll just put that - lions and wolves, chimps etc - all wild animals and I do not agree with having them as "pets". just sayin'

Wolves and dogs actually have very different social systems and behaviors, and dog behavior has been very mistakenly matched with wolf behavior, causing many problems.

true that cats are generally solitary predators but they ARE trainable using reward-based methods as we should be using with dogs - use of food, toys, other rewards that the animal finds rewarding. Basic training principle - organisms do what works for them, so if u find what the cat wants <usually meat - same as dogs> and use THAT to encourage, catch or shape behaviors, then you will get those behaviors so long as you're consistent and not punishing.

reputable shelters and rescues will not adopt out a Pittie that has been proven to show aggression toward people. Human aggression is actually totally opposite of what the type is about.

Back