Suspected pitbull attack, kills pregnant pro-pitbull woman

We had a pit bull who never bit a person as long as we or the previous owners had him. I used to have his picture as my avatar, but right now it is my Profile picture. J.D. was a sweetheart. Animal Rescue labeled him as "semi-vicious" since he would not get down when told to. He was too busy licking the face of the officer. He was happy to have a "friend" come to play. The officer did play for 30 minutes with him and tried to get him angry, but he never did.

Not all pit bulls are bad. They are trained to be bad and vicious. But then, any dog can be trained to be vicious.

Praytell; why did that dog ".....sniffed my hand and walked back to the house with its tail between his legs"??? Do you recall what kind of dog it was?

Im sure it was red retriever. I think the dog thought I was scared b/c I was standing on sidewalk and not at the doorstep.

Im glad to see Im not only one doesnt like pitbulls.

Praytell; why did that dog ".....sniffed my hand and walked back to the house with its tail between his legs"??? Do you recall what kind of dog it was?

I am wondering what smell made it walk away with its tail between its legs :hmm:

As a Labrador lover myself, even I am against BSL laws. I have been around dogs that are often stereotyped as vicious and they are the more laid back varieties. I've been around pit bulls, german shephards, dobermans, etc. They are really just very people oriented and very loyal to their families. They will defend their families in the same way they would defend their pack if they feel under attack from an intruder. Again, as stated above, they make poor guard dogs, but they can be protective.

A well balanced pit bull will greet an unknown person with controlled curiosity, not aggression. However; if an unknown person were to come in and physically harm a family member, I can see where the dog may be provoked to attack in order to 'defend the pack'. But this is for ANY dog, not just pit bulls.

When I read these reports I often removed the term 'pit bull' or 'pit bull terrier', or 'pit' from the story and replace it with the word 'dog'. Why? Because when you read it that way you read it with a less biased perspective and you often see details in the story you normally would have not seen. When details come out, the real story starts to seep its way to the surface.

I would wait until the final autopsy is complete and all the results are confirmed before I would say the dog is completely to blame. There might be a piece missing to this story that has yet be told.

Dixie,:ty: for coming in and like what you wrote -

people buy into all the fear the media likes to hype up with these things - that's another sad thing about it.

Very sad....Could the female dog be in heat at the time?....Some male dogs will attack you especially pitbulls. Few yrs ago here in Ohio, a male pitbull mauled a young boy to death b/c the female pitbull was in heat....I'll never have pitbulls as pets...They're just plain dumb.

aw... judging from your picture you posted in Pix Thread.... you're much bigger than me... like a football player vs. ping pong player. I volunteered at shelter where they had over 20 pitbulls. Handful of them were quite very large.

Not a single bite on me except a few scratches on my arm because some were overly excited and jumpy :lol:

you scared of pitbulls? :aw:

aw... judging from your picture you posted in Pix Thread.... you're much bigger than me... like a football player vs. ping pong player. I volunteered at shelter where they had over 20 pitbulls. Handful of them were quite very large.

Not a single bite on me except a few scratches on my arm because some were overly excited and jumpy :lol:

you scared of pitbulls? :aw:

I vouch for Jiro that I met him in person. What Jiro told you was true.

They just like to publish pit bull bites and don't publish other dog breed bites. Remember not all of the news are published. For example, there was a murder of a 10 year old kid and you never heard of that news before...it's because that news never published it.

jiro, I'm a volunteer at a shelter too doing training and behavioral issues, worked with many many Pitties, including dogs who had no socialization and/or early negative human experience and have not been fearful of one of the pits I've worked with....we also do testing with all the dogs to get a very basic initial determination of things like reaction to unknown objects, kids, cats, hands in food bowl etc and so many times its the little guys - Poodle mixes, little Toy dogs, beagles for example - who have lots of problems with these things in the tests.

jiro, I'm a volunteer at a shelter too doing training and behavioral issues, worked with many many Pitties, including dogs who had no socialization and/or early negative human experience and have not been fearful of one of the pits I've worked with....we also do testing with all the dogs to get a very basic initial determination of things like reaction to unknown objects, kids, cats, hands in food bowl etc and so many times its the little guys - Poodle mixes, little Toy dogs, beagles for example - who have lots of problems with these things in the tests.

Yeah, but I have yet to meet one of the little monsters whose bite must be pried apart with a tow bar. :giggle:
So many people are jumping to the defense of the pit bull it is making me suspicious.

nope they're not monsters no more than the Rottweiler is a monster or the Doberman, or wolves are monsters. And I'm aware of fights involving Pits in which a break stick was NOT needed to pull them apart.

I'm jumping with defense because pit bulls are wrongly demonized and the media makes it worse-

Yeah I had two dobermans. I love dobermans to death. Unfortunately, they happened to have tumors in their brain and could have hurt my mom or us. Long story short, We had to put them down in a different years. We were shocked that we had two doberman in a different time but they had tumors in brain. What the hell. Dobermans are sooo beautiful.

I know that pitbull has strongest jaws than any other dogs. That is it. Overall, these included pitbull, doberman, german shepard and more dogs arre all same kind.

I know one who owns collin dog for 10 yrs. All of a sudden this poor dog bit all over my friend's son's face. Lucky they stopped collin dog away from dog. See all dogs are the same kind. not only pitbull. :roll:

nope they're not monsters no more than the Rottweiler is a monster or the Doberman, or wolves are monsters. And I'm aware of fights involving Pits in which a break stick was NOT needed to pull them apart.

I'm jumping with defense because pit bulls are wrongly demonized and the media makes it worse-

In my opinion, a toy poodle that needs a break stick after a bite is a monster. None exists, I agree. Only with pit bulls do they use break sticks. Yikes.

Yeah, but I have yet to meet one of the little monsters whose bite must be pried apart with a tow bar. :giggle:
So many people are jumping to the defense of the pit bull it is making me suspicious.

If you had a poodle or Chihuahua the size and the power of a pit.. Yeah, they would be considered as the most dangerous dogs. Toy dogs are the ones that bites the most.

Pits just are more powerful and stronger. Which labels them dangerous. All dogs are dangerous in my mind.. they will act on instinct and it would be foolish to not think that. Which is why the handler or owner needs to be responsible for their animals.

To be honest.... If I see a poodle running loose in the neighborhood I am not going to be afraid of it since it is a small dog and the worst I may get from that dog is my heal nipped at.

Now if it was a large breed such as a Pit or German Shepard. I will soil my pants if one charge at me.

I think the size and the power of the pitbull is what makes people scared of it.

If you had a poodle or Chihuahua the size and the power of a pit.. Yeah, they would be considered as the most dangerous dogs. Toy dogs are the ones that bites the most.

Pits just are more powerful and stronger. Which labels them dangerous. All dogs are dangerous in my mind.. they will act on instinct and it would be foolish to not think that. Which is why the handler or owner needs to be responsible for their animals.

To be honest.... If I see a poodle running loose in the neighborhood I am not going to be afraid of it since it is a small dog and the worst I may get from that dog is my heal nipped at.

Now if it was a large breed such as a Pit or German Shepard. I will soil my pants if one charge at me.

I think the size and the power of the pitbull is what makes people scared of it.

I know what you mean. I may as well let you guys know, I babysit a full grown pit bull almost every weekend. It belongs to a friend of mine who needs to work out of town, and the dog's name is Truman. When we were first introduced, the hair on the back of my neck crawled, since he is HUGE!
But he turns out to be a hell of a dog. He is so friendly, and it melts my heart to see him wagging his tail in furious joy when he meets me or when he walks up to me and mashes his face into my legs. He is an active dog, which means I must run with him outside or toss the frisbee in the park. He is also pretty well-trained: he heels when I tell him to, and if he wanders out of sight, I just holler, "Truman, COME!" and he shows up, wagging his tail in embarrassment.
I admit I believed all those media tales of what vicious dogs pit bulls were, until I met Truman the furry ambassador. :wave:

Back