Surgery tomorrow!!

WOW, quick activation!!! I would make sure you are doing a lot of icing to get that swelling down or you may have issues with your headpiece not holding and they will have to delay your activation. Sleep in a recliner or at least propped up on a lot of pillows so you are mostly sitting up. Have someone get you 4 or 5 bags of frozen peas and apply 1-2 bags to your face/head for 15-20 minutes at least once/hour (rotate the bags so they are always frozen). Just apply the bags directly to your head, do not wrap them in a towel or at most one layer of dampened paper towel or it won't be cold enough to do any good!

I would not put some frozen right on my skin , it could get stuck to your skin and have to be pulled off . OUCH !

I'm excited but Leary about it being so soon. I'm still swollen up n haven't even showered my head yet. They didn't tell me anything but to keep it dry.

Sent from my iPhone

I know of someone from the Advanced Bionics community who had her 2nd CI activated like 3 days after surgery, which is way soon but she was up for it.

Keep your head elevated, do the occasional ice packs, and that should help with the swelling. There might still be some swelling at activation but should be doable.

I'm excited but Leary about it being so soon. I'm still swollen up n haven't even showered my head yet. They didn't tell me anything but to keep it dry.

Sent from my iPhone

It's interesting how surgeon's post op surgery instructions are so different. I was told it was OK to wash my hair on day three. My surgeon sets activation for 4-6 weeks post surgery. My activation was delayed due to the severe allergic reaction I had.

Maybe you can email your surgeons office for a more detailed list of what you can and can not do.

yeah. some say keep the head wrap on for 2 days, others say 24 hours.. some say wait on hair washing... difference in closing methods (glue, stitches, staples), activation time varies from clinic to clinic, etc.

I would not put some frozen right on my skin , it could get stuck to your skin and have to be pulled off . OUCH !

The plastic will be more than adequate to protect the skin in this application. I've worked with athletes for over 30 years icing injuries, etc. and have NEVER had an issue with that. Just don't wet the outside of the bag and freeze it and you will be just fine.

Last night was a bad one my head was just throbbing !! Don't know why. I iced it some more n took some pain meds n finally got to sleep. This morning feeling much better.

Sent from my iPhone

Wow got to finally wash my hair n the bandage/sticky strips fell off. I must say, it looks pretty good!! I'm still a little swollen but I'm still icing too. I have you all to thank for getting me thru this. THANK YOU!!! I can hardly wait till next Wed when they turn it on!!!

Wow got to finally wash my hair n the bandage/sticky strips fell off. I must say, it looks pretty good!! I'm still a little swollen but I'm still icing too. I have you all to thank for getting me thru this. THANK YOU!!! I can hardly wait till next Wed when they turn it on!!!

How is your head feeling today ? I was thinking about how you had to be dying to wash your hair. I hate having dirty hair .

Last night was a bad one my head was just throbbing !! Don't know why. I iced it some more n took some pain meds n finally got to sleep. This morning feeling much better.

Sent from my iPhone

If the headaches continue you may want to talk to your ENT surgeon about it. They kept me over night and I only had to keep the pressure bandage on in the hospital till I saw the surgeon the next day and while I had a headache it came from the bandage being too tight and went away after it was taken off. Other than that a mild earache and slight pressure in my ear is all I had besides vertigo and my taste being off.

Good luck on your activation.

Feeling great!! Can't wait till Wed to get this turned on. I have mixed feelings about it though. I've been Deaf so long now that I hope I remember what things are suppose to sound like. I also use sign in my household as well. I don't want to lose that. See what I mean? But I want to hear.

I LOVE my CI!!! Had my fitting today n love it!!! I can hear!! Oh my gosh I can't wait till we get it fine tuned down the road to better hearing. WOW!!!

Sent from my iPhone

I LOVE my CI!!! Had my fitting today n love it!!! I can hear!! Oh my gosh I can't wait till we get it fine tuned down the road to better hearing. WOW!!!

Sent from my iPhone

After my activation I would write down one new sound I heard a day. It's fun looking back to see how far I've come. I'm really happy that you're having such tremendous success.

Oh such a good idea!! I heard a bird!! Wonderful!!

Sent from my iPhone

I love it when I can hear a bird , most people take it for granted but will stand outside and listen for a moment . How about a paper bag , I could not believe how much noises a paper bag made when I got my first HA at 8 yo.

My earliest memories of sound was when my mother opened the windows and I could hear the birds outside for the first time. It remains one of my favorite sounds and what I love about the bike trail I take, hearing and seeing all the different birds. It's so peaceful. The other was the cars go by on the street outside while I lay in bed at night; my bed was against the wall so I could kneel and look out....and crickets....the first time I heard that was magical.

My earliest memories of sound was when my mother opened the windows and I could hear the birds outside for the first time. It remains one of my favorite sounds and what I love about the bike trail I take, hearing and seeing all the different birds. It's so peaceful. The other was the cars go by on the street outside while I lay in bed at night; my bed was against the wall so I could kneel and look out....and crickets....the first time I heard that was magical.

My older sister said she cried when I heard the rain falling for the first time.

Back