Supreme Court considers legality of Tasers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiro,

I tend to agree very much with rolling7! He tells the truth! Does it hurt you?! I know because I have been on the job for over 18 years!!! Police excessive use of force and brutality is a rare thing that gets the media attention every time! Why don't they show the cops using incredible restraint that occurs most all of the time?! Why, because it doesn't sell papers! Violence sells like horse crap for manure! Tasers have time & time again been proven safe and effective. The problem has not been as you report (over use) but one of it being used when lethal force should have been instead for officer and bystanders safety! Get real and get off the cops backs! Maybe you should thank a cop for what they do, but no that would not make sense! You might be embarrassed or scared since we are sooo intimidating and mean! I am sick to death of all this police brutality BS! That is what it mostly is! Sure some cops mess up just like you and I mess up. What, you're perfect?! Well excuse me!

Sorry for the rant but I had to get it out! The truth hurts doesn't it?! Think about what our society would be like without the police! Off my soapbox for now. How about a little positive news maybe?! ;)

Jiro,

I tend to agree very much with rolling7! He tells the truth! Does it hurt you?! I know because I have been on the job for over 18 years!!! Police excessive use of force and brutality is a rare thing that gets the media attention every time! Why don't they show the cops using incredible restraint that occurs most all of the time?! Why, because it doesn't sell papers! Violence sells like horse crap for manure! Tasers have time & time again been proven safe and effective. The problem has not been as you report (over use) but one of it being used when lethal force should have been instead for officer and bystanders safety! Get real and get off the cops backs! Maybe you should thank a cop for what they do, but no that would not make sense! You might be embarrassed or scared since we are sooo intimidating and mean! I am sick to death of all this police brutality BS! That is what it mostly is! Sure some cops mess up just like you and I mess up. What, you're perfect?! Well excuse me!

Sorry for the rant but I had to get it out! The truth hurts doesn't it?! Think about what our society would be like without the police! Off my soapbox for now. How about a little positive news maybe?! ;)

where exactly did I say that all cops are bad? where did I say taser should be banned? did you not see the part where I asked if cops can do better?

could officers have done it better? Do they need to improve or learn an effective hand-to-hand combat training like Steven Seagal? Do we need to make a better version of taser like a stun baton in Demolition Man movie where it doesn't involve spastic movement and blood-curling screaming?

that's not a negative tone. that's a progressive question... meaning it actually benefits you and all police officers since we're taxpayers and technology experts. we make tools for you in order to do your job better.

so what would you like to have in order to effectuate an arrest on non-compliant person resisting arrest? better hand-to-hand combat training? a better tool than taser? what?

Jiro,

Why are you upset with Jiro's post?

I can understand Jiro's post and his post doesn't against your willing nor your job performance, however he is just explain about concern with police brutalities. There is main point in his post is about some cops are too far than supposed to be like NYPD pushed the innocent cyclist down for no reason, use taser gun or pepper spray on person in handcuff without any resist, stop the car without break any laws and ask for ID, overact at people wichever they wear like banana and they don't break the laws nor join the gangs, etc.

Do you read my #11 post and please could you answer my question?

We had some members that who are police officers, especially one in St. Louis and he usually avoid any political discussion and police brutalities at all charge.

Why are you upset with Jiro's post?

I can understand Jiro's post and his post doesn't against your willing nor your job performance, however he is just explain about concern with police brutalities. There is main point in his post is about some cops are too far than supposed to be like NYPD pushed the innocent cyclist down for no reason, use taser gun or pepper spray on person in handcuff without any resist, stop the car without break any laws and ask for ID, overact at people wichever they wear like banana and they don't break the laws nor join the gangs, etc.

Do you read my #11 post and please could you answer my question?

We had some members that who are police officers, especially one in St. Louis and he usually avoid any political discussion and police brutalities at all charge.

Yes foxrac,

I believe that we have been over this before but I'll entertain you if you wish! I work as a police officer at an airport that is owned by the city that I am employed by. I am also commissioned as a deputy sheriff since the airport sets mainly outside the city. All the airport is city land but most adjacent is in the county. I have also been employed as a city police officer, worked as security for a hospital where we were also commissioned as deputy sheriffs so we can make arrests, carry a firearm etc.. And last but not least I worked in public safety at a college where I was again commissioned as a deputy sheriff in order to affect arrests, etc...!!! Over 18 years in state licensed and commissioned law enforcement. Does that help?? I was upset at jiro because I feel that police brutality is overstated and not reported on accurately as well as the Taser issue. I am tired of all the crap surrounding all of this and yes as rolling7 said tired of all the negativity involved in these threads and life in general! Have a great night! Seriously! :)

Last edited:
where exactly did I say that all cops are bad? where did I say taser should be banned? did you not see the part where I asked if cops can do better?

that's not a negative tone. that's a progressive question... meaning it actually benefits you and all police officers since we're taxpayers and technology experts. we make tools for you in order to do your job better.

so what would you like to have in order to effectuate an arrest on non-compliant person resisting arrest? better hand-to-hand combat training? a better tool than taser? what?

Jiro,

Using hand to hand combat is great when your life or another depends on it! But in day to day police work it is not something that you use all of the time and it is dangerous since we don't practice the martial arts! (And I do mean practice) Going hands on gets officers and suspects hurt or killed in many cases. We are not ninjas or kung fu experts but we are cops! Trained to do a helluva a lot of stuff from counseling to understanding law to educating, etc......!!!! This is why we have tools like Tasers, pepper spray, ASPs, handcuffs, etc....!!! I'm just tired of all the cops are bad people BS!!! Lawyers, doctors, plumbers, mayors, secretaries, preachers and teachers are all bad people too sometimes!!! Have a great night and sleep well thanks to a cop!~ :D

Oh and by the way, a tool better than a Taser would be great!!:D Something along the lines of a sound ray that incapacitates! Don't laugh as they are working on it!!! Nite John Boy! :cool2:

I'm former CI user and not concerned about taser guns.

I think it rather to be less harmful than cause fatal.

Foxrac,

I'd say from my Taser training that you are correct. I doubt it would hurt anymore just because you have a CI! It doesn't kill those that have pacemakers! :giggle:

I think that a lot of police brutality videos don't show the whole story. The media has bias and does not always present a balanced view of events.

Jiro,

Using hand to hand combat is great when your life or another depends on it! But in day to day police work it is not something that you use all of the time and it is dangerous since we don't practice the martial arts! (And I do mean practice) Going hands on gets officers and suspects hurt or killed in many cases. We are not ninjas or kung fu experts but we are cops! Trained to do a helluva a lot of stuff from counseling to understanding law to educating, etc......!!!! This is why we have tools like Tasers, pepper spray, ASPs, handcuffs, etc....!!! I'm just tired of all the cops are bad people BS!!! Lawyers, doctors, plumbers, mayors, secretaries, preachers and teachers are all bad people too sometimes!!! Have a great night and sleep well thanks to a cop!~ :D
It would be insane if cops had hand-to-hand battles with suspects. Taking huge chances with lives that way. Cops have to take control of situations fast, otherwise things can and will get out of hand...and people die.

Yes foxrac,

I believe that we have been over this before but I'll entertain you if you wish! I work as a police officer at an airport that is owned by the city that I am employed by. I am also commissioned as a deputy sheriff since the airport sets mainly outside the city. All the airport is city land but most adjacent is in the county. I have also been employed as a city police officer, worked as security for a hospital where we were also commissioned as deputy sheriffs so we can make arrests, carry a firearm etc.. And last but not least I worked in public safety at a college where I was again commissioned as a deputy sheriff in order to affect arrests, etc...!!! Over 18 years in state licensed and commissioned law enforcement. Does that help?? I was upset at jiro because I feel that police brutality is overstated and not reported on accurately as well as the Taser issue. I am tired of all the crap surrounding all of this and yes as rolling7 said tired of all the negativity involved in these threads and life in general! Have a great night! Seriously! :)

That's very interesting to hear and thanks for sharing about your experience. Yup, it does help. :ty:

Do you know how much I'm concerned about police brutality? Very little or nothing at all, at least in USA, if police goes too far so it doesn't means they are police brutality because definition of police brutality require very serious harmful like broken bones over body, beating until death or excessive torture over body. If offender got down on street so hard when try to resisting to arrest so that's not police brutality, sometime, police has use much force to take them down as possible with very small or no injuries. It isn't easy to handle with drunk or druggies so make police job so more difficult. I had seen a lot of drunk people went out of control, especially some of my family members so I have very hard time to make them to calm down.

I will extremely scared of police in Iran, Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea and Sudan that where police brutality is very higher, even some people died from that for commit a small crime like steal small candies. It isn't huge issue in USA and if police goes too far, doesn't means they commit police brutality.

Tasers are way overused. Name a mid size city or larger that has not had abuse cases. Some cities have even done away with them od have only supervisory officers carrying them. In my opion it is used as a crutch by 9officers who have low training or physical strength to take down a prep. It is human nature to take the easy way out and zap someone.

Jiro,

Using hand to hand combat is great when your life or another depends on it! But in day to day police work it is not something that you use all of the time and it is dangerous since we don't practice the martial arts! (And I do mean practice) Going hands on gets officers and suspects hurt or killed in many cases. We are not ninjas or kung fu experts but we are cops! Trained to do a helluva a lot of stuff from counseling to understanding law to educating, etc......!!!! This is why we have tools like Tasers, pepper spray, ASPs, handcuffs, etc....!!!
that's the thing. we're not talking about some master-level kung fu moves. only couple of moves that everybody can do. this is something that you already learned at police academy. Police officers deal with non-compliant subjects on nearly daily basis and the moves are usually very similar. I think ya'all should be practicing takedown/arrest/etc techniques regularly.

Being a police officer is a tough life-and-death job. It would behoove you and all to train self-defense techniques regularly so that media shark won't prey on you or costs city hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in legal settlement.

I'm just tired of all the cops are bad people BS!!!
then you need to drop that kind of attitude because it's going to keep breeding more public scrutiny and harsh criticism. Don't forget that it is us who have a power over your fate. We are your jury, employers, and legislators. We have a power to put you in jail or not as we see it fit.

Lawyers, doctors, plumbers, mayors, secretaries, preachers and teachers are all bad people too sometimes!!! Have a great night and sleep well thanks to a cop!~ :D
yes but they don't kill or hurt people. bad cops do.

It would be insane if cops had hand-to-hand battles with suspects. Taking huge chances with lives that way. Cops have to take control of situations fast, otherwise things can and will get out of hand...and people die.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PIzc6qDnh8]COPS TV Show, Failure to Comply, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department - YouTube[/ame]

:eek3:

that's the thing. we're not talking about some master-level kung fu moves. only couple of moves that everybody can do. this is something that you already learned at police academy. Police officers deal with non-compliant subjects on nearly daily basis and the moves are usually very similar. I think ya'all should be practicing takedown/arrest/etc techniques regularly.

Being a police officer is a tough life-and-death job. It would behoove you and all to train self-defense techniques regularly so that media shark won't prey on you or costs city hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in legal settlement.

then you need to drop that kind of attitude because it's going to keep breeding more public scrutiny and harsh criticism. Don't forget that it is us who have a power over your fate. We are your jury, employers, and legislators. We have a power to put you in jail or not as we see it fit.

Now you, Jiro, have officially ben declared crazy. The quote, by airportcop, was that "lawyers, doctors, plumbers, mayors, secretaries, preachers, teachers.." and the quote of you, Jiro, is "yes, but they don't kill or hurt people, bad cops do".
Because it has happen to me, a stated here on AD in the past, that I've personally been hurt by a member of the group quoted by airportcop, I now know you are just plain crazy to make a statement like you did. Have you been living under a ton of rocks? Have you missed all the news reports about teachers?

Where it comes to speaking/posting about cops, you are negative, negative and more negative because of your own reason.

Now you, Jiro, have officially ben declared crazy. The quote, by airportcop, was that "lawyers, doctors, plumbers, mayors, secretaries, preachers, teachers.." and the quote of you, Jiro, is "yes, but they don't kill or hurt people, bad cops do".
Because it has happen to me, a stated here on AD in the past, that I've personally been hurt by a member of the group quoted by airportcop, I now know you are just plain crazy to make a statement like you did. Have you been living under a ton of rocks? Have you missed all the news reports about teachers?
I see that you're not very willing to discuss about how can police officers improve themselves. you should know that law enforcement agencies are always seeking for better methods and non-lethal tools to subdue a non-compliant subject quickly and painless as possible (which airportcop acknowledged). that's why there has been a progressive transition from gun to baton to mace to taser.

instead... you want to point finger and make accusation.

Where it comes to speaking/posting about cops, you are negative, negative and more negative because of your own reason.

you might want to ask rest of ADers about that :lol:

First of all, Supreme Court considers legality of tasers because cops use tasers for bad reasons. I never forget the national news about cops tasering a tantruming little boy at school and even old people.

Second of all, tasers make cops lazier and gayer. In other words, cops become lazy faggots because they have taser guns. I saw "Cops" on TV and the cops tasered a guy who kept running away from them so they could stop chasing. WTF?

Last of all, taser guns are not 100% safe.

First of all, Supreme Court considers legality of tasers because cops use tasers for bad reasons.

I was beginning to wonder when will people notice that :eek3:

because this isn't some typical local case. this is actually serious enough to even reach to Supreme Court.

Second of all, tasers make cops lazier and gayer. In other words, cops become lazy faggots because they have taser guns. I saw "Cops" on TV and the cops tasered a guy who kept running away from them so they could stop chasing. WTF?
wanna try chasing after a guy while wearing uniform, a belt full of gears, and bullet vest? I don't have problem with cops using taser while chasing after a subject but my only issue is officers using taser in a situation that wasn't necessary.

In most situations where tasing wasn't necessary, it can be resolved with a simple talk if some officers were just more patient and understanding. I do know a lot of officers are very professional and patient with belligerent/uncooperative people and I do know they do exercise with restraint and if they used taser, they had a really good reason to use it. Some cops are plain damn mean and hostile.... to the point where they're an instigator just so they can use taser. I do not believe taser should be outlawed but more oversight and regulation might be needed (only at where there is a growing numbers of troubling cases, not all police departments).

Last of all, taser guns are not 100% safe.
nothing is ever 100% safe but it's an effective non-lethal weapon to subdue a violent, non-compliant subject. it's certainly a lot better than in past when officers were using batons and fists/kicking. it's the best tool we have out there right now.

in some videos, I find it comical when a suspect pull a "soccer victim" move (fake injury and dramatic acting) when getting taser'ed
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-H2wXK4T4[/ame]

Never been tased or know of anyone that has....but I'd rather be tased if necessary, than be shot....I'm sure there are some bad or cocky cops that would tase someone basically for the hell of it....then again, I feel tasers are a better option than the cop having to use his gun.

As for using tasers on pregnant women, children, old people (especially those with a heart condition), it's dangerous. But feel there are times when the situation would warrant it. And especially someone who was all strung out on Meth or other drugs.

Then I think about deafies...not hearing the cop's orders and being tased. And as for the person that got tased in the eye?...Was the Cop aiming for his head?....Surely, all Cops are trained to shoot a gun....and feel tasers should be used for the lower body, such as the legs or buttocks.

Basically, all people need to be cooperative with the Police in the beginning and not be combative, or risk being tased or even being shot. It's their choice.

jiro,

You are dead wrong in two areas. First when cops go hands on they or the offenders get injured very often and it is certainly more dangerous for both. We know when we can go hands on and it doesn't work for everyone or every time. Second but not least, bad doctors kill people, bad teachers & preachers injure people and it is in the news! Sexual abuse, malpractice! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back