Supreme Court considers legality of Tasers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockin'robin

Reaction score
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -
The Taser has been a controversial tool in policing since officers first used it. For instance, in 2007, police used the device on a disruptive University of Florida student who famously uttered the phrase, "Don't Tase me bro!"

Now, for the first time, the Supreme Court is taking up the issue and looking into whether or not the use of Tasers is excessive force and if law enforcement officers should have them.

According to Channel 4 records, since 2002, two people have died after a Jacksonville Sheriff's officer used a Taser on them. There have been seven deaths after a Taser was deployed involving law enforcement agencies in surrounding counties.

Community activist Eunice Barnum said it's about time someone looked into the high-electricity weapons.

"I personally know someone who was Tasered and was Tasered in his eye," Barnum said. "To this day he's still having difficulty with his eye."

Former police officer and FBI agent Dale Carson agrees.

"There are a lot of unwanted deaths in the deploying of Tasers and it's been a long question in my mind as to when the court would begin to address these issues," Carson said.

Now working as a lawyer, Carson said officers should be trained to use their voice and their minds to contain people. If their lives are threatened, he said that's when they have to use their guns.

"Oftentimes police officers will deploy a device instead of using their brain in figuring out a way to control an individual," Carson said. "You see this happening with children, the elderly, pregnant women."

Former officer and current Channel 4 crime and safety analyst Ken Jefferson said Tasers can really help when things get hairy.

"I think that Tasers are a great non-lethal weapon that police officers have in their continuum of force they can use," Jefferson said.

But, he said it's a good thing the justices will take a look at the issues at hand.

"It it's meant to be a non-lethal weapon and it's causing deaths and it's proven to cause deaths, it needs to be taken off the shelves," he said.

The case will be among many considered by the Supreme Court's nine justices at their May 24 conference. If at least four justices agree, the case will be added to the docket for the upcoming 2012 term.

Supreme Court considers legality of Tasers | News - Home

What's next???? Supreme Court considers legality of Glock ????
Supreme Court considers legality of nightstick ???

I personally believe that Tasers are very safe if used properly. They have saved many officers as well as offenders lives. Taser has spent millions testing and proving them and have a huge host of medical systems and doctors behind them. I have been tased! It hurts but when you turn it off it is over. Sure people have died after being tased but that number is low and over exaggerated. People die because of drug use, heart problems and other medical issues not directly related to being tased. If tasers are taken away look for deaths to go up not down.

The real answer here is don't do something that will cause the cops to be called. Then if they are don't fight them! Easy & simple!!! Take away the Taser and you just might find yourself shot when fighting the cops! People don't like pepper spray either but would you rather be hit by a nightstick which has been around for thousands of years?! Cops have to protect themselves and others from the violent people that live in our society these days that hate them. Bottom line is we/they have a dangerous and thankless job to do and just want to go home when their shift is over like everyone else! Cops have families and children. Cops are people too!

Last edited:
And some of the very best people too.

airportcop....check out P.I.P. (Positive Interaction Program), an organization here in Houston for interactions between the police and the citizens. We have a specific meeting just for the deaf. Two wonderful officers meet with a group of the deaf (usually 35 in attendance) with all questions taken, answered and all concerns addressed. They even got 17 VRIs installed at all the police Headquarters, sub-stations and airports of Houston to assist with interpretering. Just a great help for the deaf community of Houston.

huh?

the whole purpose of taser is providing police officer a nonlethal weapon to safely disarm a non-compliant subject without endangering both officer's and subject's lives because gun is a lethal weapon.

apparently it isn't working well as originally thought. there has been a growing number of troubling cases where officers were quick to use taser that was not necessary and it's because officers want to purposely inflict maximum amount of pain equivalent to Rodney King beatdown.

the only difference between taser and baton is... no bruise. no broken bones.

I do believe taser is a great tool for police officers but I also do believe we need to reanalyze the use of taser.

The real answer here is don't do something that will cause the cops to be called. Then if they are don't fight them! Easy & simple!!! Take away the Taser and you just might find yourself shot when fighting the cops! People don't like pepper spray either but would you rather be hit by a nightstick which has been around for thousands of years?! Cops have to protect themselves and others from the violent people that live in our society these days that hate them. Bottom line is we/they have a dangerous and thankless job to do and just want to go home when their shift is over like everyone else! Cops have families and children. Cops are people too!

America is a progressive modern country - culturally and socially. We get more sensitive to what we see in news. Because of that.... our methods and tools have to follow same. That's why our police officers do not pummel or shoot or beat or choke-hold subjects like a bunch of vicious Viking warriors. An angry-looking officer tasering a very stubborn, non-compliant subject repeatedly and he's screaming in pain. It does not look good in tv at all. It's just as bad as farmers mistreating and abusing cows with cattle prods at slaughterhouse.

How many times have we seen "shocking police videos" and say - "what the F??????" We should not be like those kind of police officers from other countries like South Africa, Saudi Arabia, India, or China. Ideally, we would want our police officers to "expertly" handle a violent situation as humanely and quickly as possible. In this modern country, it is definitely doable.

Even if police officers were in the right because a strong, non-compliant subject was high on PCP.... a prolonged, bloody struggle to arrest him does not look good in public and we question ourselves - could officers have done it better? Do they need to improve or learn an effective hand-to-hand combat training like Steven Seagal? Do we need to make a better version of taser like a stun baton in Demolition Man movie where it doesn't involve spastic movement and blood-curling screaming?

Apparently, there are members who don't watch COPS nor JAIL. On the shows the violators are shown refusing to submit to command by law enforcement. Because of the refusal, the officer(s) have to take physical action to subdue these violators. Yes, there are videos of officers going too far but there are many, many times that of violators resisting. Which would you rather believe, 1)a report or 2) a "live" video?

Apparently, there are members who don't watch COPS nor JAIL. On the shows the violators are shown refusing to submit to command by law enforcement. Because of the refusal, the officer(s) have to take physical action to subdue these violators. Yes, there are videos of officers going too far but there are many, many times that of violators resisting.
that's the point. just because a subject was being violent doesn't mean police officers should respond in same manner - UFC style. that's why there are hand-to-hand combat trainings along with non-lethal tools to counteract subject's violence effectively and quickly. Israelis do this very well.

if an officer cannot effectuate an arrest effectively and professionally, then that person needs to consider a change in career. I certainly do not want an incompetent officer to be patrolling on street because that kind of person is most likely prone to carnal violence and policy violations.

Which would you rather believe, 1)a report or 2) a "live" video?
I'm referring to videos or in-person. see below for highlights in my previous post in case you may have missed it.

America is a progressive modern country - culturally and socially. We get more sensitive to what we see in news. Because of that.... our methods and tools have to follow same. That's why our police officers do not pummel or shoot or beat or choke-hold subjects like a bunch of vicious Viking warriors. An angry-looking officer tasering a very stubborn, non-compliant subject repeatedly and he's screaming in pain. It does not look good in tv at all. It's just as bad as farmers mistreating and abusing cows with cattle prods at slaughterhouse.

How many times have we seen "shocking police videos" and say - "what the F??????" We should not be like those kind of police officers from other countries like South Africa, Saudi Arabia, India, or China. Ideally, we would want our police officers to "expertly" handle a violent situation as humanely and quickly as possible. In this modern country, it is definitely doable.

Even if police officers were in the right because a strong, non-compliant subject was high on PCP.... a prolonged, bloody struggle to arrest him does not look good in public and we question ourselves - could officers have done it better? Do they need to improve or learn an effective hand-to-hand combat training like Steven Seagal? Do we need to make a better version of taser like a stun baton in Demolition Man movie where it doesn't involve spastic movement and blood-curling screaming?

Get a real and don't be silly, man.

I personally believe that Tasers are very safe if used properly. They have saved many officers as well as offenders lives. Taser has spent millions testing and proving them and have a huge host of medical systems and doctors behind them. I have been tased! It hurts but when you turn it off it is over. Sure people have died after being tased but that number is low and over exaggerated. People die because of drug use, heart problems and other medical issues not directly related to being tased. If tasers are taken away look for deaths to go up not down.

Yup, taser guns are less lethal than pistol, also police officers over the world, including Europe uses taser guns as primary weapon to take the suspected offenders down.

First, are you working as cop at airport?

I don't hate cops, however some polices are corrupted in some cities and they don't earn my respect if they abuse any suspicious whoever don't hostile toward cops. Back in December 31, 2006, I got pulled out by city police (in Chicago metro) and bang my body on car so hard after I tried ask for paper and pencil so whole situation went messed up due to miscommunication so they tested with breathalyzer and it turned to be negative with 0. I didn't drink any alcoholic beverages and I was heading to my workplace. My mood got destroyed because cops were very ruthless and make more difficult to trust with them. I never break any laws in my life. There are police raid in gay clubs for no reason, especially in Atlanta and make city looks bad.

Jiro made a good point and people do react differently to police, depending on situation and their experience.

If cops are corrupted or unprofessional so they are not going earn my respect.

My experience with sheriff and state police are very friendly and more professional than city police, however it is depends on location and I heard about some people got worst experience with state police.

that's the point. just because a subject was being violent doesn't mean police officers should respond in same manner - UFC style. that's why there are hand-to-hand combat trainings along with non-lethal tools to counteract subject's violence effectively and quickly. Israelis do this very well.

if an officer cannot effectuate an arrest effectively and professionally, then that person needs to consider a change in career. I certainly do not want an incompetent officer to be patrolling on street because that kind of person is most likely prone to carnal violence and policy violations.

I'm referring to videos or in-person. see below for highlights in my previous post in case you may have missed it.

Apparently, you missed the thousand of episodes of officers using real restrain.
All your post take a negative viewpoint of these officers all over America.

Apparently, there are members who don't watch COPS nor JAIL. On the shows the violators are shown refusing to submit to command by law enforcement. Because of the refusal, the officer(s) have to take physical action to subdue these violators. Yes, there are videos of officers going too far but there are many, many times that of violators resisting. Which would you rather believe, 1)a report or 2) a "live" video?

I'm big fan of Jail and Cops.

I think you should watch Beyond Scared Straight that where teens got scared when visit the jail. I support to expands the juvenile programs to make teens to visit the prison and learn the lesson to not break any laws.

My good friend works at state prison and he told me about how is experience at prison. The prisons are not fun place to stay.

I heard about police unions are very nasty and it is impractical in Alabama because collective bargaining are illegal and it is up to city to make decision to set the police.

Apparently, you missed the thousand of episodes of officers using real restrain.
All your post take a negative viewpoint of these officers all over America.

ok.

and apparently, you missed several of my sources that have investigated and concluded that cases of police misconduct and excessive force were widespread and problematic. something that GWB recognized and exercised with his federal power.

you should move on and specifically discuss about taser cases where it may have been misused or used against department policy. let's leave your agenda out of this thread. why must every simple discussion be very difficult? you need to let go and move on. focus focus focus!

ok.

and apparently, you missed several of my sources that have investigated and concluded that cases of police misconduct and excessive force were widespread and problematic. something that GWB recognized and exercised with his federal power.

And I have seen the videos and read the reports but what you are scared to admit to is that there are thousand more that recognize the officers acted with restrain and "by the book". As I stated before, your post IMO focus totally on the negative.

And I have seen the videos and read the reports but what you are scared to admit to is that there are thousand more that recognize the officers acted with restrain and "by the book". As I stated before, your post IMO focus totally on the negative.

re-read Post #6 and #7 especially first sentence in third paragraph and #9. read it slowly and carefully. you will see that I ask how can our police officers do better? law enforcement agencies are always and constantly seeking for better methods and tools. why do you think how did taser come into existence?

by your logic - police officers should be perfectly fine with batons as long as they clobber people "by the book".

Imagine if a cop uses a taser on a CI user.

Anyway cops use tasers because they don't know how to kung-fu.

Imagine if a cop uses a taser on a CI user.

Anyway cops use tasers because they don't know how to kung-fu.

I'm former CI user and not concerned about taser guns.

I think it rather to be less harmful than cause fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back