Student of ASL

want2interpret

Reaction score
Hello all!!!:wave: I am currently studying to become an interpreter and it is becoming very hard. I was previously a Communication Assistant with Relay Services of South Carolina in which I decided to get into interpreting. I'm only in ASL 3, but in 1 & 2 we only covered the basics and now it's all signs and really fast finger spelling, this teacher is Hearing but the last teacher was deaf which I must say made things a lot easier. I've been told there is a great need for African American interpreters in my community and I am very interested in learning. Does anyone have any suggestions?? :Ohno::confused:

:wave: welcome to AD want2interpret -- enjoy ur stay! :D

u will find so much information here across the boards to answer ur questions :D

Welcome and enjoy posting here with us. This is a great place to meet wonderful people. Look out for the weeds, though. ;)

want2interpret said:
Hello all!!!:wave: I am currently studying to become an interpreter and it is becoming very hard. I was previously a Communication Assistant with Relay Services of South Carolina in which I decided to get into interpreting. I'm only in ASL 3, but in 1 & 2 we only covered the basics and now it's all signs and really fast finger spelling, this teacher is Hearing but the last teacher was deaf which I must say made things a lot easier. I've been told there is a great need for African American interpreters in my community and I am very interested in learning. Does anyone have any suggestions?? :Ohno::confused:

MsMell....

Just relax, you will do fine, just do what you can do and feel comfortable....
meet deaf people in your area may also help to boost up your signing too... I am sure your teacher will have some kind of silent meeting or silent dinner/coffee... If he/she doesn't then suggest that to the teacher ?

AND

Welcome to AD!!

Wendy

Back