State budget cuts force a near-impossible decision

Judge Terror

Reaction score
The N.C. Department of Public Instruction will hold the first of three public hearings on Tuesday to determine which of the state’s special-needs schools should be shut down.

The budget approved by the Republican-controlled N.C. General Assembly over the summer directs NCDPI to make recommendations to close one residential school and consolidate services at the remaining two schools to save $5 million.

That places on the chopping block the N.C. School for the Deaf in Morganton, the Governor Morehead School for the Blind in Raleigh, and the Eastern N.C. School for the Deaf in Wilson.

In a recent radio interview, State Superintendent June Atkinson told N.C. Policy Watch that even with the public’s input, this won’t be an easy choice. The residential schools serve approximately 220 students.

To hear Dr. Atkinson’s comments on the decision-making process click below.

The three hearings will be held from 5:30p-7:00pm at the following locations:

Tuesday, Sept. 20
City of Morganton Municipal Auditorium
401 South College Street, Morganton

Thursday, Sept. 22
Hardy Alumni Hall, Barton College
Located off Atlantic Christian Drive, Wilson

Wednesday, Sept. 28
Council Chamber, Room 201
Avery C. Upchurch Government Complex
222 West Hargett Street, Raleigh

State budget cuts force a near-impossible decision (audio) « The Progressive Pulse

I looked it up, and the school for the Blind only has 73 students! :eek3:
I think that is prolly going to be on the chopping block. I wonder if they could create a dedicated resource room for blind/low vision kids in the area. The thing is.....I think a good idea to revamp blind/low vision ed would be to turn Overbrook School into a federal blind school (a la MSSD) for middle and high schoolers who are struggling, and offer dedicated blind/low vision resource room wherever possible. Also, I mean maybe states need to collaborate on blind schools. It really is too bad........but maybe they could create a blind unit at the deaf school that is going to stay open.

Back