Starkey Something

They do. Granted there is an adjustment period after you get new aids that are working better for you, but all that "noise pollution" as someone who used to have completely normal hearing I can tell you without a doubt that yes all those little sounds are amplified louder than it would normally be. So don't go feeling bad for hearies Jiro, what you're hearing isn't what they would be hearing.

I agree!!!

The "really really really not as loud to them" -- is that because hearies are used to them and tune out (or tune down), or is it that the HA over-amplifies? I have no clue myself, so it's a genuine question.

And, the "what you are hearing is not what they are" .. like what? Again, genuine question. It's not often we get a chance to ask these questions of someone who once had hearing.

Your brain learns to filter those sounds out--sharp sounds like pots and pans, paper rustling, doors closing, etc. are WAY louder with hearing aids.

Can't a volume adjustment be made to accommodate? My HAs have a volume control of 1 to 4. Anything above 3 is distorted for me, and glaringly loud. So I wear mine at 2 to 2.5.

Yep, but like Ambrosia, if you turn them down too much you lose speech. It's the biggest problem I have with my hearing aids, they focus in on the loudest sounds around so, while we may be sitting outside talking, if an airplane flies overhead, my hearing aids pick that up and drown out the converstation, where as before I lost my hearing, I probably wouldn't have even notice the airplane going overhead.

If you turn it down, then you lose speech, it's loud enough to understand it. I am forever complaining about how loud the music is at work, and all the hearing people say it's quiet, and it's not even clear to me, it's just loud and obnoxious because it makes harder to understand people.

Or any background noise for that matter---fans, heating systems, etc. Then trying to understand in a situation where they are talking over a microphone and it's just painful.

Yep, but like Ambrosia, if you turn them down too much you lose speech. It's the biggest problem I have with my hearing aids, they focus in on the loudest sounds around so, while we may be sitting outside talking, if an airplane flies overhead, my hearing aids pick that up and drown out the converstation, where as before I lost my hearing, I probably wouldn't have even notice the airplane going overhead.

I totally relate to that. If my husband is talking while the TV is on, I cannot even hear the TV anymore. So if he's having a conversation with our roommate, it gets annoying because I see picture on the TV, and this blah-blah-blah noise that I cannot make any sense of. :lol: My loss is profound enough that even with HAs I still cannot understand speech. I experience the same as you do about airplanes overhead when I am outside, can't hear anything else but that plane.

I totally relate to that. If my husband is talking while the TV is on, I cannot even hear the TV anymore. So if he's having a conversation with our roommate, it gets annoying because I see picture on the TV, and this blah-blah-blah noise that I cannot make any sense of. :lol: My loss is profound enough that even with HAs I still cannot understand speech. I experience the same as you do about airplanes overhead when I am outside, can't hear anything else but that plane.

That is pretty much how I heard with my HA's for many years.

I must admit, this is a pretty good discussion we all are having here...

Today's technology is much nicer...the ability to suppress certain sounds through programming is a great thing. I did not have a chance to experience programmable hearing aids before going straight to CI's, and I have 4 programs to choose from on each side. Can drive in a car or fly in a plane and still be able to hear someone speaking while there is a loud noise in the background. Impossible to do when all sounds are amplified at the same time.

That's how I hear as well. Glad to know its normal for someone with a profound loss.

That is pretty much how I heard with my HA's for many years.

I must admit, this is a pretty good discussion we all are having here...

Today's technology is much nicer...the ability to suppress certain sounds through programming is a great thing. I did not have a chance to experience programmable hearing aids before going straight to CI's, and I have 4 programs to choose from on each side. Can drive in a car or fly in a plane and still be able to hear someone speaking while there is a loud noise in the background. Impossible to do when all sounds are amplified at the same time.

What I hate is that I think the technology suppresses the wrong thing sometimes. Yesterday I was playing my Flamenco guitar and I was havng trouble really hearing the instruement. I'm guessing compression so I put it on "music" mode. There are times I really miss analog HAs and yesterday was one of those times.....

How can you watch TV if you can't understand speech?

My loss is pretty profound in the speech and higher range, low tones are ok, I can't understand anything anyone says on tv.

How can you watch TV if you can't understand speech?

My loss is pretty profound in the speech and higher range, low tones are ok, I can't understand anything anyone says on tv.

Closed captioning.

That's how I hear as well. Glad to know its normal for someone with a profound loss.

Yes, I think this is quite normal. Whenever someone asks me how I can hear many different sounds at once, I say that I don't really. I hear the loudest sound and it drowns everything else out, pretty much.

On weekends I often don't put my HAs in at all. I much prefer the total silence over a bunch of gobbledy-gook. :lol:

Yes, I think this is quite normal. Whenever someone asks me how I can hear many different sounds at once, I say that I don't really. I hear the loudest sound and it drowns everything else out, pretty much.

On weekends I often don't put my HAs in at all. I much prefer the total silence over a bunch of gobbledy-gook. :lol:

I'm liking the silence more and more now :)

I now know that I'm chasing adjustments that will properly never work for me :)

What I hate is that I think the technology suppresses the wrong thing sometimes. Yesterday I was playing my Flamenco guitar and I was havng trouble really hearing the instruement. I'm guessing compression so I put it on "music" mode. There are times I really miss analog HAs and yesterday was one of those times.....

yea it's nice to have a HA with few different settings

Jiro first off congrats! (even if your just trying out the aids, still congrats on exploring something different) I'm also severe-profound and my first aid was a Phonak (yearrrrs ago analog) and going from that to Starkey RIC (although my model is longer than yours, still tinier than most models though)I can say I favor Starkey. I tried it without the mold and with the soft black squishy (didn't work for me, ended up with the custom mold also) it doesn't sound as robotic to me as my old one and feedback isn't as easy to signal as my old one was. My only regret is now they have better RICs than they did 3 yrs ago so I wish I had more of the features that they have now but it still gets me by. Also wish I had went with a colored one instead of the same old tan color. Definitely not as noticeable as the old aid I had but thats a pro and a con IMO enspecially when people don't believe your deaf.

You know its funny when I had my HA in for the first time in years I really noticed things I haven't heard in forever. I didn't realize how noisy everything is. I used to be the kind of girl that chatted on the phone ALL the time but since my hearing dropped I just switched to texting. Now when I people watch and I'm seeing these women on their phone I sit there and think to myself "wow was I REALLY that annoying???" I don't miss talking on the phone at all lol.

seriously the best for a mild-moderate.

new Oticon SP model is the Chilli in case if you were wondering ;D

Yea the Chili is much better than the Sumo. After a while you realize everything makes a noise, practically everything, keys, coins, fridges, doors.. wait till you're in the toilet with the door closed, and you flush. The echo of the flush across the ceramic wall and floor tiles is.. interesting :P

Yea the Chili is much better than the Sumo. After a while you realize everything makes a noise, practically everything, keys, coins, fridges, doors.. wait till you're in the toilet with the door closed, and you flush. The echo of the flush across the ceramic wall and floor tiles is.. interesting :P

yeah and besides, I have a Safari/Chili model but mine's is P platform instead of SP lol :)
you'll love it since that hearing aid has the volume wheeler just like my 1st hearing aid

Back