Starkey Something

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
got a new pair of ears today - Starkey something. It's RIC (receiver inside canal). it's been 8 years since I got a new pair. bottom one is Oticon Sumo.

181199_10102599568840089_652494157_n.jpg

I find this new experience... quite troubling. I now hear laundry machine noise and I even can hear my iphone vibrating on my table from across the room. oh my... how troubling... must have sucked to be a hearie lol

even more troubling..... I should have picked a different color :mad2:

Gimme your old aids, if they still work. lol, just kiddin' :)

Make sure you keep that little white thing on the end (wax guard) clean. I have the same HA and one day one of them stopped working. After replacing the wax guard tip, everything was back to normal. Now I use a special vacuum to clean them every week or so. You can use the brush they give you if you don't have a vacuum.

Make sure you keep that little white thing on the end (wax guard) clean. I have the same HA and one day one of them stopped working. After replacing the wax guard tip, everything was back to normal. Now I use a special vacuum to clean them every week or so. You can use the brush they give you if you don't have a vacuum.

yea the audiologist taught me how to change the filter. that's what he called it.

a special vacuum? can you give me a link for it? I'd like to know more about it.

a special vacuum? can you give me a link for it? I'd like to know more about it.

It's called the Jodi-vac. It's a little pricy, but I want my HA to last a very long time and I think it's worth the investment. I found it on Amazon a little cheaper than buying it directly from the Jodi-vac site. Very happy with it too. The website is Jodi-Vac - Hearing Aid Vacuum Systems - Clean Hearing Aids - Remove Wax. I got the consumer version which is really good enough for a normal user and paid $112 with shipping included.

Edit: this is the model I got:
http://www.jodivac.com/jodi-consumer_product_details.html

It's called the Jodi-vac. It's a little pricy, but I want my HA to last a very long time and I think it's worth the investment. I found it on Amazon a little cheaper than buying it directly from the Jodi-vac site. Very happy with it too. The website is Jodi-Vac - Hearing Aid Vacuum Systems - Clean Hearing Aids - Remove Wax. I got the consumer version which is really good enough for a normal user and paid $112 with shipping included.

Edit: this is the model I got:
Jodi-Vac - Jodi-Consumer - Consumer Hearing Aid Vacuum Product Details

thanks for link!

I HATE Oticon Sumo!!! it has lot of feedback!! it was freaking annoying. im so happy with phonak now.

How do you like the RIC? What type of loss is that best for?

My husband has that type, except by Siemens, and in a lovely chestnut brown. :P
He loves it!
I definitely plan to get the same type also.

How do you like the RIC? What type of loss is that best for?

I'm severe-profound so the audiologist said either Starkey RIC or Oticon (newer model of my old one) will do the job just fine.

Starkey's way is putting speaker right in the ear mold and it's been an interesting experience. now I just gotta deal with all these noise pollution. I truly feel sorry for hearies :ugh:

Thats cool ... you can hear your phone vibrate from across the room wait till its sitting right next to you it will make you jump and skeer the crap out of you ... yep background noise is annoying but you may be able to pick things up like i did after I got my CI ... the cat purring ... soda fizzing ... stomach growling when your hungry it will surprise you ...

Starkey's way is putting speaker right in the ear mold and it's been an interesting experience. now I just gotta deal with all these noise pollution. I truly feel sorry for hearies :ugh:

Interesting....Normal HA's have their speakers inside, and what you are describing is....because the speaker is right at your eardrum, the efficiency of sound delivery is much better.

I believe it....think about carburetors vs direct fuel injection, which would be a similar principle.

Interesting....Normal HA's have their speakers inside, and what you are describing is....because the speaker is right at your eardrum, the efficiency of sound delivery is much better.

I believe it....think about carburetors vs direct fuel injection, which would be a similar principle.

yep. as we all know - the common method is speaker + processor outside the ear and hangs on top of... the ear and the sound is transmitted through the tube into your ear. That's a long way to travel thru and the sound quality gets diluted down or muddled because of debris/water/wax in the tube and tube condition (hard/soft/dampy/etc).

Starkey's method is interesting and the audiologist has said the #1 issue when switching to Starkey is the sounds sounding quite different and this can be a troubling experience. so far - I've played some simple piano tunes and listening to old classical music. I think it sounds almost the same but I can't be too sure. Need to keep testing couple more weeks.

What's troubling me now is being able to hear the noise pollution such as fridge, laundry machine, traffic noise, and driving my truck - wind, engine, etc. I can even hear my mom's soft humming and it's bit amplified. This common noise pollution is giving me a bit of a headache but the audiologist told me that this is to be expected and it will take some time for my brain to adjust to it and get used to it. now I have experienced what being a hearie is like and I wouldn't want to be a hearie if I were granted one wish. :ugh:

Starkey's programming is also interesting. It's binaural. left and right hearing aids work together wirelessly to make it a directional. If a sound is coming from left side, your left HA will amplify it while right HA will not amplify it. Its sound processing and amplification are specifically tailored for your hearing loss. And it is a hybrid - analog & digital. There's only 1 button each. left button is for Volume Down and right button is for Volume Up.

Back