Stand alone CC Decoders

Fran49829

Reaction score
I have just lost my hearing and need a decoder to get CC on my tv because it doesn't have it.

Any input on which one to buy?

Can it be hooked up before the vcr to I could record tv shows with CC?

Any problems I need to know about?

Here is a different angle. How do you guys and gals record tv shows with your vcr with CC?

Thanks,
Fran :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have a 27" Sony. I would like to be able to use my vcr to record tv programs. The tv does not have a video out. Even if the tv had CC I would not be able to record in CC.

Here is a different angle. How do you guys and gals record tv shows with your vcr with CC?

Fran ;)

How old is your TV? That size should have CC. Are you sure it doesn't have CC?

Every regular VCR will record CC programs. It depends on your TV to show the CC.

Last edited:
We got a whole bunch of the cc devices. All we need is shipping costs and we'll send you them.

Richard

CC is in the Video itself. So most any device that will record the Video, will record CC including VCRs.

out of curiousity, how does a CC record on a VCR tape.. i mean how does CC work when u're watching it repeatly..

Thanks everyone,

I bought a 27" Sanyo at Walmart for $228 which turned out to be pretty good. Hooked the thing up to my complex system just like the old tv and began to play with it.

I found that any medium I have that was CC, like a tv show recorded on a vcr or a DVD movie, anything that had CC encrypted on it I could decode it with the new tv. This means that when you record a CC tv show on your vcr the CC encription is in the tape even though you cannot see it until you activate the CC in your tv. So you can have your vcr hooked up before the tv and it doesn't matter, there is nothing you need to do to get CC on the recording, it is there even if your CC is turned off on your tv (of course to see it you must turn your tv CC on). ;)

Fran

Fran,
Glad you like your new TV but I hope you didn't throw the old one out. As Reba mentioned, one that size should have had CC. If I recall, there is a requirement that TV's over a certain size have it. Unfortunately, I do not recall what the size requirement is but it wasn't that big. Is it possible your old TV has it but is tucked away in a deep menu somewhere. I know on my TV it was difficult to get it to decode as it wasn't an obvious option. Could it be the same with yours?

Thanks Pete...I forgot about that 1990's part (although that is now 14 years ago...wow time flies)

DeafSCUBA98 said:
out of curiousity, how does a CC record on a VCR tape.. i mean how does CC work when u're watching it repeatly..
A VCR records the whole TV signal, which would include the "vertical blanking interval" (the time when the electron beam makes its way back from the bottom of the screen up to the top, at least on CRTs). CC is transmitted in "line 21" of the vertical blanking interval; the VCR records it and plays it back just like it records and plays back the rest of the signal, so if your TV is set to display captions and the program you taped has captioning, you'll see it when you play the tape back.

Back