Sprint now taking pre-orders for iPhone 4S

Technology regarding batteries has come a long way since Thomas Edison, remember the huge car phones that had to be plugged into the cigarette lighter for a power source? The technology was bad and it was hugely expensive at the time and thus it never caught on. Cell phones have evolved a multitude since then. My old phone used to be able to go 3-4 days between charges, buy my iPhone, needs to be charged daily.

Daily recharge here.

There has got to be a new battery technology out there that holds a charge a lot longer.

I think it's because we are asking these smartphones to run off the same battery power source as a regular 'dumb phone' does. My old phone could go 3-4 days without needing to recharge. But it was also just an LG EnV3.

that's what I'm saying. technology has changed a lot but battery technology hasn't. It's still same as Thomas Edison's. why? chemical engineering is difficult. it doesn't progress as fast as technology. so sad...

the only thing we can do is let technology continues to progress to the point where it can sip a power from battery that can be recharged by solar power.

If you will buy iPhone 4S in Sprint Store, you will end up to have slow sprint network. I read on what they complain about sprint network.

Sprint Community: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd7taHnHzcg&feature=player_embedded]iPhone 4S: AT&T Vs. Verizon Vs. Sprint Speed Test! - YouTube[/ame]

Sprint is by far the slowest of the three networks, with AT&T and Verizon having similar speed results with web browsing.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/1...wn-att-vs-verizon-vs-sprint-speed-test-video/

since you're in California - you can catch the Woz at Los Gatos apple store. He's camping out there tonight.

I'm in Texas right now. Be in DC for a few months soon. Busy busy

I am back off from Sprint users got angry about slowest network when they bought it. They should look at what blogs review on 3 carriers network before they decide to buy it.

Yes, IPhone 4S's network is slower than Android devices because iPhone 4s don't have 4G chip. But Android devices s battery drains quickly in using 4G. I m waiting to get next gen iPhone (LTE) and most improved battery life next year.

iPhone 4S Test Notes: Data Speed (It's Slow)

Interesting.. Sprint's iPhones use CDMA EV-DO Rev A and AT&T's iPhone 4S uses a version of HSPA+ .

I'll wait for iPhone 5 next year...

I am sticking with AT&T iphone 4 for now until iphone 5 comes out.

AT&T's HSDPA speeds seem normal for the tests. Not surprised Sprint and Verizon 3G is still slower than AT&T's.

One problem with gizmodo is they are comparing LTE (4g) to 3.5G so it's not the same thing. I get anywhere from 3-5mbits/sec avg on my HTC on AT&T, so it's the same thing. They will never reach theoretical cap at 14.4mbits/sec, not real. Maybe if you camp next to the cellphone tower lol.

AT&T just released some LTE towers last month in some cities. Not many though, only Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, and Houston. It may take awhile until they cover most of the US. Even Washington DC, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, lots of major areas are not covered yet. It may take longer until 2013 or 2014 before 4G is in every major area.

See here for an accurate comparison of vanilla 3G test, they don't include 3.5G HSDPA/HSPA+. I think those tests are unfair against CDMA Sprint/Verizon because it's faster.

189592-smartphonechart1_original.gif

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1895...rlds_second_3g_wireless_performance_test.html

iPhone 4S shootout: AT&T vs. Sprint vs Verizon

The AT&T, Sprint and Verizon Wireless versions have all sold out (at least temporarily). And the overwhelming demand is understandable, given the brilliant Siri voice-controlled assistant, faster dual-core processor and super-sharp 8-megapixel camera. But which of the carrier models is best? We evaluated all three versions based on pricing plans, data speeds and call quality to help you decide which iPhone 4S is right for you.

Pricing plans
Let's say you opt for the minimum amount of minutes on each of the carriers (450 minutes), unlimited text messaging, and 2GB of data (it's unlimited for Sprint). If you factor in the cost of the $199 iPhone 4S, over two years you'd pay $1,896 on Sprint, versus $2,520 on AT&T and $2,640 on Verizon. If you went with Sprint, you'd save $144 versus AT&T and $264 versus Verizon. However, Sprint charges more than the other carriers to use your phone as a hotspot — $30 versus $20 — and at that point you would be paying about the same amount versus Verizon and about $100 less on AT&T.

Winner: Sprint
Provided you don't plan to use your phone as a hotspot — something we wouldn't recommend with a 3G phone anyway — Sprint's plans are much more affordable than AT&T's and Verizon's. And you don't have to watch the data meter.

Data speeds
The AT&T version of the iPhone is the only one that supports speeds up to 14.4 Mbps on the carrier's HSPA network, while the Verizon and Sprint versions are tied to older and slower EV-DO networks. So it wasn't a surprise that AT&T turned in the fastest download and upload speeds in our three testing locations using the Speedtest.net app.

The AT&T iPhone 4S pulled off an overall average rate of 970 Kbps for downloads, and 270 Kbps for uploads. By comparison, Verizon only mustered 380 Kbps on the download and Sprint was even slower at 280 Kbps. Verizon's iPhone 4S consistently offered the slowest upload speeds, with an average of 100 Kbps versus a not-much-better 170 Kbps for Sprint.

Winner: AT&T
While all three iPhone 4S models trail true 4G phones by a mile, the AT&T iPhone 4S consistently delivered the fastest download and upload speeds.

Laptop

Comparative data speeds for the three phones, gauged using the Speedtest.net app.
Web browsing
Our Speedtest results were backed up by our real-world testing: the average times it took to load different websites. It took an overall average of 19 seconds for the AT&T iPhone 4S to load the full website of the New York Times on the AT&T iPhone 4S, 20 seconds faster than Verizon's overall average time (39 seconds), and 40 seconds faster than the average time it took for the Sprint iPhone 4S to load the page (59 seconds). It loaded the full website of Laptopmag.com and ESPN's mobile website fastest as well, at 20 seconds and 10 seconds, respectively. The only site it did not load faster than the other two carriers was CNN's mobile website, which it loaded in an average of 10 seconds, compared to Verizon's average of 9 seconds.

Winner: AT&T
The AT&T iPhone 4S loaded sites considerably faster than the Verizon and Sprint versions of the device.

Call quality
We found the call quality on Verizon's iPhone 4S to be top notch. Sound was loud, clear, and exhibited no choppiness. In the first and third locations where we tested for call quality (a noisy coffee shop in New York, a private residential area in New Jersey), our callers had the same comment: We sounded the loudest, and background noise was present. On our end, we heard some scratchiness and static during calls, but there was less of it compared to the AT&T experience, and none during silences.

On Sprint, calls sounded quieter, which some callers said they appreciated, especially coming from two very loud calls (AT&T and Verizon). With Sprint background noise was less of an issue. One caller from our second location even said we sounded like we were in an office cubicle; initially he couldn't tell we were using a mobile phone at all. However, in every location where we tested for call quality, callers commented that the Sprint iPhone 4S sounded choppy. On our end, we sometimes heard a strange sort of echo to our voice.

Winner: Verizon Wireless
Verizon beat out AT&T and Sprint with the clearest and loudest call quality on both ends of the line.

Final verdict
AT&T has shaken its reputation for poor service on the iPhone in this shootout, offering better data speeds than both Sprint and Verizon. And while Sprint offers unlimited data, AT&T's 2GB plan is cheaper than Verizon's. Verizon wins out for best overall call quality, but that's not why people buy smartphones. Whether you're asking Siri to find nearby steakhouses, downloading an app or sending a tweet, AT&T's iPhone 4S is just faster. And that's why it's your best bet.

Gadgetbox - iPhone 4S shootout: AT&T vs. Sprint vs Verizon

AT&T's HSDPA speeds seem normal for the tests. Not surprised Sprint and Verizon 3G is still slower than AT&T's.

One problem with gizmodo is they are comparing LTE (4g) to 3.5G so it's not the same thing. I get anywhere from 3-5mbits/sec avg on my HTC on AT&T, so it's the same thing. They will never reach theoretical cap at 14.4mbits/sec, not real. Maybe if you camp next to the cellphone tower lol.

AT&T just released some LTE towers last month in some cities. Not many though, only Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, and Houston. It may take awhile until they cover most of the US. Even Washington DC, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, lots of major areas are not covered yet. It may take longer until 2013 or 2014 before 4G is in every major area.

Not really, My iPhone 4 VZ is pretty quick than most of my coworker's iPhone 4 ATT for Safari and google maps due low pings.

Did you really watch youtube about ATT vs VZ VS Sprint for safari speeding test?

Again, 4G is pointless to most of us since there is no 4G coverage anywhere in USA and I said there is probably 2-3% of coverage and major city only. Boo.

Not really, My iPhone 4 VZ is pretty quick than most of my coworker's iPhone 4 ATT for Safari and google maps due low pings.

Did you really watch youtube about ATT vs VZ VS Sprint for safari speeding test?

It's kinda tested tho, did you read the benchmarks?
It's also important about location if you saw my 2nd post above.
imagesizer

Again, 4G is pointless to most of us since there is no 4G coverage anywhere in USA and I said there is probably 2-3% of coverage and major city only. Boo.

That's what I said, glad you agree too. :D

It's kinda tested tho, did you read the benchmarks?
It's also important about location if you saw my 2nd post above.
imagesizer

That's what I said, glad you agree too. :D

Because you live in major city.

Again, Did you see a video that ATT is quick than VZ for benchmarks but VZ's safari is quick than ATT. How? It's low pings and low pings is very good for VP and gamers. In real world, you don't really need HIGH benchmarks as over 10mpbps for just safari/browers without flash/java.

iphone 4s is 3g only and doesnt have 4g but it's better to wait till iphone5 comes out it has 4lte and have better features than 4s so dont waste your $$$ on 4s

I'm not even going to mess with 4S. There's nothing about it that makes me want to have it. Of course my next phone will still be iPhone, just not the 4S.

Back