Speech and Hearing aids

Recover5302

Reaction score
Why is there shame on the deaf or hard of hearing who speak like a hearing person? Must you have the so called "accent"..does that make you look more hearing than deaf? "It shouldn't".:roll:

Last edited:
Perhaps Hard of Hearing or "deaf" could speak before becoming "deaf". Not sure about "deaf accent" means?

Since becoming Bilaterally deaf my voice was louder and after activation was much quieter-I could hear myself and thus automatically lowered my voice. Perhaps this happens to most people in such circumstances.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Perhaps Hard of Hearing or "deaf" could speak before becoming "deaf". Not sure about "deaf accent" means?

Since becoming Bilaterally deaf my voice was louder and after activation was much quieter-I could hear myself and thus automatically lowered my voice. Perhaps this happens to most people in such circumstances.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Some people think I have a Spanish accent ! One woman thougth I had a French accent! I am like WTF!! I spoke real loud when I was a child , I was better when I got my first HA at the age of 7 years old.

Why is there shame on the deaf or hard of hearing who speak like a hearing person? Must you have the so called "accent"..does that make you look more hearing than deaf? "It shouldn't".:roll:

You know a lot of deaf people who can tell what you sound like? :lol:

Yes some deaf who were born deaf can't pronounce and annunciate things properly so their speech and voice are different thus the "deaf accent"

Sometime the deaf accent also tend to be more nasal.

I am nasal, I was told that we can't hear with our ears so we use our noses to feel the sounds. Have anyone heard this before. Helen Keller was really nasally , I heard a record of her taking.

Yes some deaf who were born deaf can't pronounce and annunciate things properly so their speech and voice are different thus the "deaf accent"

I see... I used to have speech therapy at my high school and my teacher said that the deaf community didn't like the way she teaches and that she was trying to teach all of her students to talk clearly like a hearing person (I'm missing the right word for this). She wasn't against the deaf community and the way they talk (talk? I didn't know), but she thought it would be better if the deaf could talk and communicate with the normal hearing crowd.

I didn't really get what she was trying to say at the time (I mean ASL and talk?), but now I understand...

Is there a good video that shows a person using sign language and is talking with a "deaf accent"? I never met and communicate with people who were born deaf. I hear about them, but never got to meet them... (darn public school).

Some people think I have a Spanish accent ! One woman thougth I had a French accent! I am like WTF!! I spoke real loud when I was a child , I was better when I got my first HA at the age of 7 years old.
I'm late-deafened (began in my mid-30's) and I've been told prior to that and after that I have an English or Bostonian accent. I spent the first 11 years of my life in GA and have lived in DE since. I just figure it's a mix of southern and mid-atlantic accents.

Thanks for all replies!!! :) I was just wondering some people say I sound wierd? Others say I sound the wrong Race? LOL. I have met many teachers who prasise I guess a so called regular voice...I have other deaf and hard of hearing friends and they get compliments for talking clearly. The interpreter even told my friend she didn't sound deaf ,and so she doesn't interpret how she needs to. WOW! Sometimes I get sad and feel less smart about my voice. They also get "you talks so clear how can you be deaf". I just find that interesting because they have to explain to hearing people. They say they get very annoyed. That must be annoying. People put deaf in a box. I wish there was more deaf awareness. We all vary.:giggle:

They also get "you talks so clear how can you be deaf". I just find that interesting because they have to explain to hearing people. They say they get very annoyed. That must be annoying. People put deaf in a box. I wish there was more deaf awareness. We all vary.:giggle:

Before my son was dx with hearing loss, when I hear the word "deaf" I think you can't hear ANYTHING. That isn't the case. I've always said my mom has "hearing loss" due to her age. I never say she's "deaf" because to me she can hear. So I guess when someone tells me they're "deaf" and they speak clearly. I think most of society are like me and wonder how someone can have good speech if they can't hear speech.

I think that's what soceity thinks too if you have good speech then you can hear. It's funny my friend speaks and they say ohh I didn't know you were deaf and then I speak they stare at me :giggle:

I am nasal, I was told that we can't hear with our ears so we use our noses to feel the sounds. Have anyone heard this before. Helen Keller was really nasally , I heard a record of her taking.
I'm nasal too. Cause the hearing aids that the profoundly deaf wear basically works as an amplifier. Thus the "feeling" of our voices.

However, I find that it has somewhat improved since I had gotten the CI. Whereas there'd be more oral and mouth resonance to my voice (i.e. coming from the chest and mouth area more).

I also used to think that my communication skills would be a little more affected a little more quickly when I was being bothered by sinuses and congestion when wearing hearing aids. However, I also find the CI has helped in this regard. Sometime I still get a little affected but not as much.

Thanks for all replies!!! :) I was just wondering some people say I sound wierd? Others say I sound the wrong Race? LOL. I have met many teachers who prasise I guess a so called regular voice...I have other deaf and hard of hearing friends and they get compliments for talking clearly. The interpreter even told my friend she didn't sound deaf ,and so she doesn't interpret how she needs to. WOW! Sometimes I get sad and feel less smart about my voice. They also get "you talks so clear how can you be deaf". I just find that interesting because they have to explain to hearing people. They say they get very annoyed. That must be annoying. People put deaf in a box. I wish there was more deaf awareness. We all vary.:giggle:

The misconception that because a DHH person can speak/articulate well that they also hear well is common.

I have to regularly explain to People that while my son does speak and articulate well, he still has a significant hearing loss. Receptive language and expressive language are two different things.

To me, situations like that are an opportunity to educate people about something they otherwise wouldn't know.

People should be proud of themselves regardless of how well they can articulate English.

One thing that really bother me is that hearing people told me that I speak very well. Also they said that my voice is clear enough for them to understand. When I watched my niece's video taking home movie of me talking. I really do have a "deaf" accent. I know that I mispronounced words that I can not pronounce well.

There are some hearing people who worked in the fast food industry or business places that don't understand me. I guess they are shocked or surprised that I am deaf if I told them. But once they get to know me, they will listen to my "deaf" accent voice. :hmm:

I found out my son who was in the elementary school years ago and the teacher told me that he mispronounced the words not correctly. That is why hearing people are not telling me the truth and they meant well. :eek:

Those hearing people are really fooling us by saying "Oh, you speak so well and clearly". Hah! That is a laugh. :roll:

I get that too. That's why my good speech has been a double edge sword for me all of my life. They have proved more trouble than they are worth because of situations like these among many others.

Heck, even some hearing people are nasal. That depending on one's demographics, background, ethnicity, family traits, upbringing, etc, some hearing people are more nasal than others. :lol:

my husband <audiologically severe loss> has gotten comments his talking like what Bebonang and Shel wrote, and what Recover wrote too, about "talking clear"; he's also been told that <a quote> "he's lucky he can talk at all"

Back