special needs children??

jamielee

Reaction score
Hey all
I was just wondering if there are any parents hearing or deaf that have a child or children with special needs?? I work with children with Autism and really enjoy it. Soon I will be working with a new child who has Autism, Down Syndrome and he is also Deaf.He understands sign but does not sign back at this time. I am really excited about meeting him but am also wondering how to work with a child who has such complex needs. anyone with sugestions or stories I would love to hear from you. thanks
Jamie

I have a special needs child. Silas is deaf, mentally handicapped, and physically handicapped oh and visually impaired. With Silas it's just work, work, work, between his teachers and I we really don't put up with much. It may take a 1/2 hour but if he is still hungry and wants more carrots or salad or something then we make him tell us. People think I am mean when we take the kids to a birthday party and he starts screaming and I know what he wants, I have been known to get it close enough for him to see it and pull it away until he signs more or cake. :) I know it sounds horrible but he has to learn to communicate. Even if it's with pictures. I even have my girls waiting for signs but they usually give in after a couple of minutes. lol :angel: They love their brother. Together me as the parent, teachers and doctors are working together as a team to make it happen. These kids need to know basic communication in terms of hungry, drink, more, all done, you know the simple things. I thought at first it was horrible but Silas is now signing, eat, drink, more, ball, swing, ice cream, bubbles, sleep, and toilet(that one is going to take more time to perfect lol) but at least he is communicating by more than kicking and screaming. I know it has to be hard on him. But if I leave him with someone like let's say my mom he needs to communicate his needs and if he can't then they will both be miserable. Let me know if you need more info. :fingersx: Good Luck

jamielee said:
Hey all
I was just wondering if there are any parents hearing or deaf that have a child or children with special needs?? I work with children with Autism and really enjoy it. Soon I will be working with a new child who has Autism, Down Syndrome and he is also Deaf.He understands sign but does not sign back at this time. I am really excited about meeting him but am also wondering how to work with a child who has such complex needs. anyone with sugestions or stories I would love to hear from you. thanks
Jamie

My son is deaf and also has autism. We just found out about the autism afew months ago. We have had alot of problems with him eating new food and trying new anything really. It's been really hard for us, but then there are the good days and it makes everything else fade away, even if it's just for a few mins., or hours. He still doesn't sign, except for his cup. He seems to understand us when we sign to him different things, but my husband and I are still learning sign language so we probably don't do it as much as we should. The words that we really know we use all the time around him and he's really starting to understand what they are, mostly things he doesn't like, but sometimes we get a smile out of him (bath time).

I'm hoh low muscle tone, social-emotional delays, foot problems, and probaly other stuff I've forgotten!

my son was born with cleft lip and cleft palate, but that's it.

I'd suggest that you do as much research as possible. talk to parents of austic children and try to learn what it's like to be austitic.

I think it's an awesome thing you're doing. kudos to you for trying to learn more.

Ellie said:
My son is deaf and also has autism. We just found out about the autism afew months ago. We have had alot of problems with him eating new food and trying new anything really. It's been really hard for us, but then there are the good days and it makes everything else fade away, even if it's just for a few mins., or hours. He still doesn't sign, except for his cup. He seems to understand us when we sign to him different things, but my husband and I are still learning sign language so we probably don't do it as much as we should. The words that we really know we use all the time around him and he's really starting to understand what they are, mostly things he doesn't like, but sometimes we get a smile out of him (bath time).

I am in the same boat with you, Ellie. My son has autism and is also deaf too. He is at the point where he can be able to do things that are physically able and among other things. The only thing is - He cannot communicate but however he TRIES to do so. He's 6 years old and just recently signed MOM which was a joy to me. He's been trying his damnest to learn alot of signs but is getting there little by little. He also understands what the family and I are signing to him but he doesn't come back to us but would understand. It is rare for him to smile too, the only time he will smile really big is when he jumps into the swimming pool. Boy I swear, I have to constantly struggle with him getting OUT of the pool and he just loves it, haha. Anyhow, Yes I am also having a hard time trying to introduce him to new foods. He's usually into the cheese, chicken nuggets, so and on. All I can say is, keep learning the sign language along with your son and you guys will get there. It is a long journey to the top of the mountain.

I don't mean to be rude but I'm curious about this - Acceptance - That is. Did you have a hard time accepting that he is autistic? How old is your son? I'd love to share the feedbacks as a parent to know how to go through this as well.

Autism

Jolie_77 said:
I am in the same boat with you, Ellie. My son has autism and is also deaf too. He is at the point where he can be able to do things that are physically able and among other things. The only thing is - He cannot communicate but however he TRIES to do so. He's 6 years old and just recently signed MOM which was a joy to me. He's been trying his damnest to learn alot of signs but is getting there little by little. He also understands what the family and I are signing to him but he doesn't come back to us but would understand. It is rare for him to smile too, the only time he will smile really big is when he jumps into the swimming pool. Boy I swear, I have to constantly struggle with him getting OUT of the pool and he just loves it, haha. Anyhow, Yes I am also having a hard time trying to introduce him to new foods. He's usually into the cheese, chicken nuggets, so and on. All I can say is, keep learning the sign language along with your son and you guys will get there. It is a long journey to the top of the mountain.

I don't mean to be rude but I'm curious about this - Acceptance - That is. Did you have a hard time accepting that he is autistic? How old is your son? I'd love to share the feedbacks as a parent to know how to go through this as well.

Also he will smile when see a 18 wheeler and any trailer on any vechiles
our son hates most of many foods...

for Ellie, I grew up in Louisville too.. but presnetly livingin Danville bein closer to my boys. and helpin our older son even though we are divorced...

I am profoundly deaf and quadriplegic so your children are not alone

rjr2006 said:
I also type with my toe on left foot
still can sign? I can see you in fingerspellings RVJ but it is hard to see thou. Way to go. Do have CP or ... by accident? I was told there is a Deaf guy who has CP (in his wheelchair) only can do fingerspellings. He lives in Mass. I haven't met him.

Little G goes in next month for further testing. He is Deaf and now they think he may be autistic as well. It helps to see he is not the only one. We never know how tough we are until our little ones really need us.

I am working at a special school and have worked with a boy that has hearing aids in both ears and he is in 1st grade and very cute little kid. I love all those kids at the special school. I get so excited when i work with these kids. The kids have special needs. I have so much fun working with these kids. I have special needs myself. I work with k-2 and ages 5-8 years olds.

To me... all special in need children are very special ,,, i used to be volunteer working with them.. in the matter of fact.. those kids had taught me lots of thngs... i love them dearly...
SxyPorkie

my son TJ- we thought he was austitic cuz of his behavior.. constantly repeating and walk in circles so on. but we moved to my moms within 6 months he had improved thats when we learned it was lead poisonings that was causing him to behave weird. now we know what he have.. its sensory integration disorder but its changed to sensory processing disorder.. alots of austitic kids have spd. keep that in mind tj's had improved so much but still have plms also low muscle tone and messy handwritings... i still love him no matter what hes my baby! :)

My kid was born with spina bifida. That means open spine. She can move her arms and upper body pretty good but she's paralyzed from waist down.

Never heard of spina bifida? go over to Spina Bifida Association Web site - Spina Bifida Association

I know some about this situation,,, now I have a friend living near me ,, she was born that way... she is in wheelchair most of times,,, but she does walks once in while with crutches... She had 4 kidney transplants,,, Now it seems she is doing fine... i see her every week..
SxyPorkie

Our agency works with deaf children with autism and other disabilities. Our recent case was triplets and we suggested 1 get the CI and the other 2 learn to sign.

We have a good collection of products and toys for these people and they are on our ebay catalog.

Richard

Our agency works with deaf children with autism and other disabilities. Our recent case was triplets and we suggested 1 get the CI and the other 2 learn to sign.

We have a good collection of products and toys for these people and they are on our ebay catalog.

Richard

oh no you should not work with kids!

Back