Sorenson, Shame on You!

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorenson, shame on you!

Shame on you!

The provincial government of British Columbia, shame on you!

Shame on you!

The federal government of Canada, shame on you!

Shame on you!

Some of you may have heard by now, Sorenson set up a VRS (Video Relay Service) call centre in Burnaby, British Columbia. It is a province right above the state of Washington. Some of you may think that's a great thing. Well, it's not. It's already causing problems for the deaf communities in British Columbia. You see, Sorenson is not supported by either governments of B.C. (British Columbia) or Canada. That means we cannot use their services. Basically, it is okay for them to lure our interpreters away and cause a critical shortage, which they already have caused in several places across the USA.

To read the full blog entry, click here.

"I think it's tough because most interpreters are community-minded but they also need to pay the bills."

Sorenson contributes to the problem while providing consistent employment with benefits. Shaking your fist at Sorenson while not blaming the Canadian interpreters?

"It's a bigger problem than just in Vancouver," she said. "There are a shortage of interpreters everywhere. There are many reasons for the interpretation shortage, often because of a lack of social services."

On the flip side, isn't this a start for Canada to have VRServices available to its own citizens?

On the flip side, isn't this a start for Canada to have VRServices available to its own citizens?

We are able to use some services such as HOVRS, Viable and more. But we cannot use Sorenson. They are planning to set up VRS but apparently it will only be available to two provinces instead of going nationwide.

It's complicated. But if we let Sorenson build more call centres across Canada to be used exclusively for the Americans, it will become a problem. If we want our own VRS, we have to eliminate the American VRS call centres from Canada.

Besides, Some of the major deaf organizations actually applied for a license to set up a videophone system but were turned down by the CRTC (Canadian version of FCC) because they said that the major telecoms will get to run them instead.

That's a big issue if you ask me. I think they need to change a few things.

The problem is the same in the US. People have complained for a long time that VRS takes interpreters away from communities. Just because they are now doing it in Canada too doesn't mean it's a different problem. Americans and Canadians should work together to solve this issue.

Also, Canadians can call into the U.S. over VP using software if they want. As long as one person is in the U.S., Sorenson will interpret the call. But if both people are in Canada, that is not allowed.

VRS is paving the way for the major moneymaker: Video Remote Interpreter (VRI).

Progress.

The problem is the same in the US. People have complained for a long time that VRS takes interpreters away from communities. Just because they are now doing it in Canada too doesn't mean it's a different problem. Americans and Canadians should work together to solve this issue.

Also, Canadians can call into the U.S. over VP using software if they want. As long as one person is in the U.S., Sorenson will interpret the call. But if both people are in Canada, that is not allowed.

Yes, however you cannot use the IP relay at all as a Canadian. They will automatically disconnect you.

Don't blame the interpreters. Blame the governments for not allowing their citizens to use the services.

Yes, however you cannot use the IP relay at all as a Canadian. They will automatically disconnect you.
You're misdirecting here. IP relay is completely irrelevant to this thread. IP relay does not take interpreters away from the community. Mentioning IP relay has no purpose here.

Living in a city with small number of qualified intereprters, Sorensen has taken away majority of our certified interpreters, leaving us deaf folks with unqualified and unethical terps at doctor clinics, courts, etc. I am not blaming Sorensen because Sorensen does pay a lot better and offers benefits whereas going free lance provides no stability.

I just wish that there will be a forum for this issue - this has become a major issue/challenge in our community. How can we find a win-win situation? I am tired of having my appointments delayed or cancelled only because they cannot find any interpreters.

I feel for Canada - it truly sucks.

I wish more interpreters sought to keep a balance. I work part-time for a VRS provider, usually Tuesday and Thursday evening and Sunday mornings for a few hours. My FT job is for a company that provides interpreters in community settings. I spend one week in the office doing administrative/scheduling work, and one week out in the community interpreting.

Balance is key.

Perhaps the interpreters like the idea of a stable income ;)
Sorry about the situation being bad in Canada. It's like that in Norway, too, and they definitely need interpreters while every deaf person there has the right to have one (for free).

You're misdirecting here. IP relay is completely irrelevant to this thread. IP relay does not take interpreters away from the community. Mentioning IP relay has no purpose here.

I was just responding to what you said about videophone services being available to Canadians only if they call American phone numbers. I just happen to mention that it's not possible with IP relay. I know they don't use sign language interpreters in that area of service. But yes, that's off the topic.

Besides, I have heard a lot of complaints about Sorenson and other VRS providers using up the resources in deaf communities across the USA. If that wasn't the case, I doubt they would be building call centres in Canada. It wouldn't be really saving any money since our dollar is now of the same value as the USA.

You can see why I'm concerned about that because if we allow Sorenson to build more call centres across Canada only to be used exclusively for Americans, then it may cause a longer delay in getting an interpreter. In many places, you already have to book one 1 to 3 weeks in advance. Do we really need it to get any worse?

Sorenson VRS services=leeches.

traditional interpreting services=dead leeches.

See what I mean?

I don't know if anyone noticed what I found peculiar. The Sorenson P.R. person said that one of the factors toward the interpreter shortage is "lack of social services."

Can someone tell/give me an example? I don't understand that factor.

I don't know if anyone noticed what I found peculiar. The Sorenson P.R. person said that one of the factors toward the interpreter shortage is "lack of social services."

Can someone tell/give me an example? I don't understand that factor.

Good question. I'll like to know too. In Canada, we have CHS (Canadian Hearing Society), they are able to provide interpreters. Here, we hardly lack "social services." I know who to call for interpreters, and a lot of deaf people should too.

Unless they don't have a CHS office in B.C., I would be surprised if they didn't.

Back