Sometimes...

for what reason you do that,would you ask someone for brail menu...why don't you just ask deaf person to sign with you or go to deaf club....you better be careful who you sign to they may understand and think you barking mad...it not hard to see what you doing if deaf bsl/asl watching you

I really don't think my signing is that bad that people won't understand it. I just think practice would make it better, or faster. I've been asking people to sign with me, sometimes in the wrong places, but still no one ever has time.

When I sign on campus, people ask me to teach them, then when I finally try to teach them. They say "I don't have time" or let's do it later or this is too hard...etc. And I understand if they don't want to, but they get my hopes of practicing with someone up for nothing.

Hearing people, at the emotional level of yours, take it easy. Most of your posts are not helping her at all. I did not say that I agree with all of you and agree with cylly1.

but i dislike how hearing people preached her in the harsh way when it comes to the Deaf issue.

Not all of them are hearing people, but they are sensitive not matter how many times I tell them it wasn't a joke.

coffee_beans.gif

I know you aren't planning to become an interpreter for now. I can see that you found SEE or ASL or PSE that is kind of fun for you. That's cool. Just keep reading every threads of this forum due to attitude with deaf or hearing people. I can see that you are pretty blunt which is COOL.

I hope one of those days you will bump into the COOL deaf people so you will see how different when you sign to yourself while you sign to someone else who is ASL user.
Hope you don't lose your interest in having of your hobby for ASL. LOL

Not to put interpreters out of a job, but I'd rather not rely on them. For any language ^^ I don't think I'll be turning away from ASL, PSE, or SEE any time soon, but I do think I'll find a way to learn it without being offense.

using indervidual signs is like using english dictionary one word at a time and you look a dick,carry on you dont need deaf community to help you look complete dick....if you genuine and want to learn try..be really clever learn welsh

using indervidual signs is like using english dictionary one word at a time and you look a dick,carry on you dont need deaf community to help you look complete dick....if you genuine and want to learn try..be really clever learn welsh

Using individual signs is what translates ASL to English for something useful like writing papers etc. ASL and SEE/PSE should be used equally, you don't often encounter anything written in ASL's grammar structure...

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Cylly1 said:

Using individual signs is what translates ASL to English for something useful like writing papers etc. ASL and SEE/PSE should be used equally, you don't often encounter anything written in ASL's grammar structure...

Actually - you're incorrect. ASL isn't translated sign-to-word it's translated phrase/concept for concept.

ASL isn't a "signed form of English". ASL is it's own language with totally different grammar, word order, phrasing and means of indicating concepts of "time","space", emphasis etc.

I'd recommending reading a number of books on both Deaf culture and ASL linguistics.

Last edited:
Let's say someone went to school to learn to fix a car properly. Someone else try their hands to fix car on their own. They're stuck. They don't know what to do. Hey, finish my job. I cannot fix the car properly.

What do you think? See why a mechanic may charge you more if you try yourself first. Not trying to hurt you, but there are people that works hard on their craft.

I am pretty sure that you understand why they got upset at how your post was. Same idea for a person who was really hispanic but he told everyone that he is an italian guy. He speaks fluent in italian language. Every italian people are thrilled to hang out with him asking lots of italy history etc. All of a sudden, He turns out that he told them that he is not italian. He is hispanic so the italian people would be feeling insulted. That's what it applies to how deaf/hoh people feel about it.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that you understand why they got upset at how your post was. Same idea for a person who was really hispanic but he told everyone that he is an italian guy. He speaks fluent in italian language. Every italian people are thrilled to hang out with him asking lots of italy history etc. All of a sudden, He turns out that he told them that he is not italian. He is hispanic so the italian people would be feeling insulted. That's what it applies to deaf/hoh people feel about it.

Yeah, I really do understand, but I didn't tell them I was deaf. I just started signing and they just assumed and it wasn't to make fun of them.

Let's say someone went to school to learn to fix a car properly. Someone else try their hands to fix car on their own. They're stuck. They don't know what to do. Hey, finish my job. I cannot fix the car properly.

What do you think? See why a mechanic may charge you more if you try yourself first. Not trying to hurt you, but there are people that works hard on their craft.

But if I find people to teach me the correct way, then I wouldn't have to rely on them no matter how good they are.

If I saw you signing and I just walked up to you and started signing, would you ask me if I was hearing or deaf? When I went to the restaurant, I didn't pretend like I couldn't hear, I just didn't use my voice, so people just assumed and I guess that's where the pretense came from. It was more like a way to put myself in someone else's shoes and see if I could get them to sign with me.

Actually, depending on the context, yes there's a fairly high likelihood you'd be asked and expected to offer if you are: Hearing/Hoh/Deaf, where you went to school, were you learned to sign (and who your teacher were), as well as you're connections in the Deaf community.

All of these are fairly typical things Deaf (and hearing ASLers) share when introducing themselves - upfront.

You'd be expected to say right off that you are a hearing person, trying to learn ASL on your own, and that you haven't taken any classes yet, nor have any Hoh/Deaf/ASLer friends etc... and you'd certainly never "pretend no to hear" (ie pretend you don't hear sounds going around you, or answer if one of your hearing friends said something etc ...you'd be expected to be and act hearing.

If you asked where a bathroom was, then no it's not going to come up. However if you start an actual conversation - or expect to "chat", then yes - be expected to give you're associations. It's Deaf Cultural Norms.

Also - you did more than just "not talk" - you allowed your friends to "pretend you were deaf" (your words) to perpetuate the misconception.

Real Hoh/Deaf people would either sign and speak (or mouth words) or would ask "do you sign" in ASL and if no, we'd grab a paper and pen, or our mobile and start writing/typing. We'd never stand there signing at someone who doesn't sign "hoping they guess" what we mean or conducting some sort of communication experiment.

The most important thing when people interact is communication - that means finding common ground and using it. Anything else, regardless of language and culture is disrespectful to all parties.

Cylly1 - might I suggest that you read this?

What you're doing - pretending to be deaf when you're not, and/or signing to people and letting people THINK that you are deaf, just as a social experiment - makes me really mad. Without completely bursting my top on you, I can't add anything else to this thread besides this: If you want to learn ASL/PSE/SEE/whatever you're learning, then okay. But please do it the correct way - either with competent, skilled teachers, or by making some local Deaf friends who would help you to learn and practice. Read up on Deaf culture, and try to be more considerate.

Oh, silly one... You don't know everything. If you think that you do, I'm here to tell you that you're wrong.

Sometimes, I pretend I can hear normally and make fun of the person speaking, as if they are speaking poorly.

:giggle:

Sometimes, I pretend I can hear normally and make fun of the person speaking, as if they are speaking poorly.

:giggle:

There's your mistake. I didn't do it to make fun of anyone. Sorry if your feelings got hurt, but you shouldn't assume that all hearing people are out to make fun of deaf people, that they think it's funny that deaf people have to use another language to communicate. I didn't go around waving my hands frantically around like it was joke. I used actual signs like water, or drink and guess what they did understood. I like ASL and I want to use it, and I end up using it whenever I'm in a conversation anyway...

Cylly1 - might I suggest that you read this?

What you're doing - pretending to be deaf when you're not, and/or signing to people and letting people THINK that you are deaf, just as a social experiment - makes me really mad. Without completely bursting my top on you, I can't add anything else to this thread besides this: If you want to learn ASL/PSE/SEE/whatever you're learning, then okay. But please do it the correct way - either with competent, skilled teachers, or by making some local Deaf friends who would help you to learn and practice. Read up on Deaf culture, and try to be more considerate.

Oh, silly one... You don't know everything. If you think that you do, I'm here to tell you that you're wrong.

People practice languages on there own all the time. It's not to make fun of anyone. Sorry that you're mad about it. I can't change my ethnicity to speak Japanese, but I can turn off my voice to use sign language.

You THINK that I think I know everything, but I'm here to tell you... you're wrong.

There's your mistake. I didn't do it to make fun of anyone. Sorry if your feelings got hurt, but you shouldn't assume that all hearing people are out to make fun of deaf people, that they think it's funny that deaf people have to use another language to communicate. I didn't go around waving my hands frantically around like it was joke. I used actual signs like water, or drink and guess what they did understood. I like ASL and I want to use it, and I end up using it whenever I'm in a conversation anyway...
I was being sarcastic. I also have pretty thick skin, so don't worry.

If you want to practice ASL, find the deaf coffee near you and attend it. Those deafs don't have to fake, and they know ASL very well. Maybe they will teach you.

Hanging out with your friends at the mall, pretending to be deaf, is not much different from walking with a fake limp. Maybe you mean well, but it does not appear that way to the people that LIVE deaf every day.

Peace out.

I was being sarcastic. I also have pretty thick skin, so don't worry.

If you want to practice ASL, find the deaf coffee near you and attend it. Those deafs don't have to fake, and they know ASL very well. Maybe they will teach you.

Hanging out with your friends at the mall, pretending to be deaf, is not much different from walking with a fake limp. Maybe you mean well, but it does not appear that way to the people that LIVE deaf every day.

Peace out.

Well, I don't know how many time I can apologize for offending people, but it wasn't to make fun. Maybe you can thicken up some of their skins by telling them not everyone hearing person's out to get them. I've looked for deaf groups around my area, but I haven't found any since school let out. Living deaf is just living, people can get by whatever language they use. i was just using sign language to see what it was like since there's not other way to practice it. Sometimes I use my voice when I sign sometimes I don't.

Back