Sometimes...

cilly1 told the truth here. cilly1 learned somehting from each of you. so

Good luck.

That is exactly what you were doing to the hearing people. I know that you are not signing the way ASL is. That is why if you must learn to sign properly and correctly, then it is a must that you have to go to ASL class with the HOH/Deaf teacher. If you want to go into Deaf events to communicate with Deaf people but not trying to pretend when you are not deaf.

As for ASL interpreters, we need them to make us understand what hearing people say at schools, churches, courts, meetings and other important functions that we need to know what is going on. I had ASL interpreter at my wedding and she help me understand what the Judge and members of the wedding party said. Without them, it is hard for us to understand when we could not lipread very well at all. That is why we depend on ASL for language to understand what hearing society is saying. You can not say it is all right to be pretending to be deaf and want to sign with someone who knows sign language or learning to sign. You just can not fool them like that. :roll:

Well i believe the hearing society should learn ASL just as much as any other language, because in all it just connects you to people. I don't have any money for classes and they don't offer it at my school. I've hardly gotten any responses on here for ASL teachers so... what am i to do? This is how I practice, whether you think it's wrong or not. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but this is how I sign.

cilly1 told the truth here. cilly1 learned somehting from each of you. so

Good luck.

I guess it takes pissing people off to get some ASL life changing information. No hard feelings to any of them... all honesty I just want to learn. I can't change their opinions of me or this situation, but I can listen and respond to them.

Well, you DID offend a lot of us!...So I suggest you go back to standing on your head....maybe even finding a hobby to keep you busy...Seems to me that you've got a smart mouth and I dunno how old you are....but the members here, you need to learn "respect"....and not believe that you are "above" of here at AD....

Well, you DID offend a lot of us!...So I suggest you go back to standing on your head....maybe even finding a hobby to keep you busy...Seems to me that you've got a smart mouth and I dunno how old you are....but the members here, you need to learn "respect"....and not believe that you are "above" of here at AD....

ASL is a hobby, it's not my native language. Neither are the other languages I've been practicing. I've got a smart mouth because I'm not gonna let you guys bully me out of learning this language, the way that's best for me. I'm not above anyone, I'm only a student and I find that's the best way to get through life.

See, I'm learning right now. Though there are probably better ways to do it instead of going back to "standing on my head" ^^

I guess it takes pissing people off to get some ASL life changing information. No hard feelings to any of them... all honesty I just want to learn. I can't change their opinions of me or this situation, but I can listen and respond to them.

It takes going to classes and interacting face to face with people who are Deaf to get "ASL life changing information". You don't go on an Internet forum to learn how to sign. You seem to be here for other reasons.

It takes going to classes and interacting face to face with people who are Deaf to get "ASL life changing information". You don't go on an Internet forum to learn how to sign. You seem to be here for other reasons.

Too bad there's not a lot of places to meet deaf people here. Thought I could find someone to Skype with. And please explain what my other reasons for being here would be? ^_^

ASL is a hobby, it's not my native language. Neither are the other languages I've been practicing. I've got a smart mouth because I'm not gonna let you guys bully me out of learning this language, the way that's best for me. I'm not above anyone, I'm only a student and I find that's the best way to get through life.

See, I'm learning right now. Though there are probably better ways to do it instead of going back to "standing on my head" ^^

No one is trying to bully you out of learning ASL. We are just telling you that your methods are disrespectful. If you want to learn ASL without taking a class, look for Deaf meets in your area and maybe you'll find someone who will be willing to help you practice. But don't expect help if you're using SEE, because that is not their language.
There are also some websites for self learning ASL.

Yes, that is too bad. I'm sure you recall in your intro thread that Smithr offered to teach you and there are plenty of people in that sticky thread you could practice with as well.

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100637-hello.html#post2053907

It is very serious., I want to protect, cause i tell you I prevent her bit bash, Ite is not pleasure, I protect high likewise protect more strictly confidental I dont like on negative and troubles point I strictly on clean proper on manner respect! I nothing say words!

No one is trying to bully you out of learning ASL. We are just telling you that your methods are disrespectful. If you want to learn ASL without taking a class, look for Deaf meets in your area and maybe you'll find someone who will be willing to help you practice. But don't expect help if you're using SEE, because that is not their language.
There are also some websites for self learning ASL.

Do they cost money? the websites? I have looked for "deaf meets" but they are very elusive and always when I'm doing something else. Like the deaf bowling... that I showed up to one night only to find them not meeting any more bc schools out.

Yes, that is too bad. I'm sure you recall in your intro thread that Smithr offered to teach you and there are plenty of people in that sticky thread you could practice with as well.

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yourself/100637-hello.html#post2053907

Yeah because every time I tried to contact him he was busy...only so far you can go. Nice of you recall my intro thread..
You are definitely making yourself memorable!

Maybe you could get a student loan and go take courses.

Yeah because every time I tried to contact him he was busy...only so far you can go. Nice of you recall my intro thread..

And on the bold, :lol: this world is so small, everyone will recall it twenty years from now...

Of course I don't imagine you will want to hang around that long..

You realize that the more you type and try to explain yourself, the deeper you dig your grave, right?

Deafies on here do NOT like it when people pretend. It really is that simple. They value their language, and, take great offense at someone trying to make a mockery of it and them. This is what you did. The only thing I can and will say I agree with you on is that ASL should be taught to every hearing person in the country; just like any other foreign language. However, it's not. Therefore, the only way you are going to actually learn the language is to immerse yourself in it. You can start by taking college courses that offer ASL. You can also purchase tapes, but really, the only other way is to find your way into the Deaf community.

Barring that, you're just going to be looked upon as a nuisance or worse.

Just my .02

You realize that the more you type and try to explain yourself, the deeper you dig your grave, right?

Deafies on here do NOT like it when people pretend. It really is that simple. They value their language, and, take great offense at someone trying to make a mockery of it and them. This is what you did. The only thing I can and will say I agree with you on is that ASL should be taught to every hearing person in the country; just like any other foreign language. However, it's not. Therefore, the only way you are going to actually learn the language is to immerse yourself in it. You can start by taking college courses that offer ASL. You can also purchase tapes, but really, the only other way is to find your way into the Deaf community.

Barring that, you're just going to be looked upon as a nuisance or worse.

Just my .02

Okay. I can understand that, but I value the language just as much as any other language I've been practicing. I don't make a "mockery" of Japanese when I speak it or Chinese... or ASL. I just don't think it's wrong to practice a language on your own, because I don't have money for course and I'm not close to any where that offers them without paying. And even if I did purchase tapes, that wouldn't put me on a level to practice with people. Buying tapes is self learning, I'm just doing it without spending money...

Again, it is not practicing if you're the only one who "knows" the language. You can do that kind of practicing at home in front of a mirror.
I sometimes practice my fingerspelling while I'm taking my walk. I don't go up to strangers in the park and start signing to them. How would that help me?

Actually....who cares?....you said that you knew what you were doing "was probably wrong"...in the beginning...and we told you how we felt about it./...still you're "defending" urself!

Now it seems as if you're trying to get someone to send you some $$ for classes/tapes/etc. ....You're an imposter...just a silly little school girl who poses so seductive in her avatar.

Okay. I can understand that, but I value the language just as much as any other language I've been practicing. I don't make a "mockery" of Japanese when I speak it or Chinese... or ASL. I just don't think it's wrong to practice a language on your own, because I don't have money for course and I'm not close to any where that offers them without paying. And even if I did purchase tapes, that wouldn't put me on a level to practice with people. Buying tapes is self learning, I'm just doing it without spending money...

:hmm:

Back