Some suggestions for Law Enforcement. I could use your help.

Bergc, I have a couple of questions. 1) You already know ASL but other cops don't so how do they tell ASL from gang signs? 2) When do you use PA for?

I don't keep anything with my address on it in my car. I keep my license, registration and proof of insurance card with me in my fanny pack. My reason is that if somebody steal my car and can use the information to go rob my home using the garage opener and break open the door that lead into my home.

I don't like to display on my car anything that identify me as a deaf person. I don't even like the decal that one put in the bedroom window for the firemen. Do you always type in the tag number every time you pull someone over? If so, it would be easy for the computer to shows that I am deaf. Who else can use the system? I just want to make sure that no bad people can misused it.

If you had to use PA to tell the driver to step out, can you use some sort of electric display (like the ones in the bank to keep us occupied until we can see a teller) in mirror-reverse so they can read it in the rearview mirror??? I am not sure where you can mount it.

Cheri...dispatch asks so many questions because we need to know whats going on. It is essential for us to know who is with you, where you are...etc. It isnt safe for us to just show up without any information. I do agree that relay takes..................a................really.......................long...................time! I was on the phone with a gentleman not to long ago using a relay service. The converstation lasted roughly an hour and I got the amount of information that a face to face interaction would have taken 5 min. I think this is a huge communication barrier that needs to be broken. Would it be a terrible idea for a deaf or HoH person to have an emergency box where they could type information quickly and it would go directly to dispatch? Is something like this already made available? This would save us both valuable time.

Kaitin... you have many many good questions. Without getting too much into firearm guidelines...it may have been standard protocol for them to pull firearms when a person doesnt respond to a PA. The PA system isnt so much used as pulling a person over, as it is used to give commands to a person who is non compliant with exiting the vehicle. Again, this is a barrier that needs to be overcome. As with the never ending stay in the car/get out of the car battle...stay in the car. There are many ways to show someone you are friendly. Being polite is one way. But please, getting out of the car will do nothing but upset officers. instead of having handicap plates (which I agree, would make a person feel vulnerable), would it be out of line to have, say, a colored piece of reflected metal (the size of a quarter) in the upper right hand corner of the license plate? How do people feel with that? <--Still, I feel on the fence about that one. This just helps law enforcement get through the communication barrier.

Instead of having a visual decal or etc on the car. I see policeman with computers in their car all the time. Why not just have it noted in the computer for when you run the plates number?

oops. didn't read far enough to see the question has been asked already :ugh3:

Cheri...dispatch asks so many questions because we need to know whats going on. It is essential for us to know who is with you, where you are...etc. It isnt safe for us to just show up without any information. I do agree that relay takes..................a................really.......................long...................time! I was on the phone with a gentleman not to long ago using a relay service. The converstation lasted roughly an hour and I got the amount of information that a face to face interaction would have taken 5 min. I think this is a huge communication barrier that needs to be broken. Would it be a terrible idea for a deaf or HoH person to have an emergency box where they could type information quickly and it would go directly to dispatch? Is something like this already made available? This would save us both valuable time.

Kaitin... you have many many good questions. Without getting too much into firearm guidelines...it may have been standard protocol for them to pull firearms when a person doesnt respond to a PA. The PA system isnt so much used as pulling a person over, as it is used to give commands to a person who is non compliant with exiting the vehicle. Again, this is a barrier that needs to be overcome. As with the never ending stay in the car/get out of the car battle...stay in the car. There are many ways to show someone you are friendly. Being polite is one way. But please, getting out of the car will do nothing but upset officers. instead of having handicap plates (which I agree, would make a person feel vulnerable), would it be out of line to have, say, a colored piece of reflected metal (the size of a quarter) in the upper right hand corner of the license plate? How do people feel with that? <--Still, I feel on the fence about that one. This just helps law enforcement get through the communication barrier.

I just post in another thread about my interest in your law enforcement guidelines and I am very impress on learning how to keep calm and not get upset and worry about fronting with the police officer. Also about emergency calls like 911. Thank you very much for giving us advice and feedback so that we can sure be ready for future emergency or crisis. Like I said in the other thread that it is really scary as a deaf individual and did not know what to do the proper way to handle this situation. Welcome to AllDeaf forum. We are happy to meet you and glad that you are learning ASL and doing your class in law enforcement. :ty:

Thanks for input everyone! Im currently looking into what needs to be done so when you go to the DMV to get plates or a new license, deaf or HoH have the option to release info that they are deaf or HoH. This info would not be visual on the outside of the car...no stickers...no decals...no special plates. The info would only come up on the squad computers. Law Enforcement only have access to these capabilities and it cannot be accessed from the outside...no bad people getting in.

In order to help me along with getting this completed, I need your help. To prove that this is necessary, I need to come up with actual articles where deaf or HoH have come in contact with law enforcement with negative outcomes (ex. someone being injured because they were labeled as non compliant and not deaf or HoH)...and positive ones too. Once again, thanks for all of your help.

They vote Saskatoon is elected Nov.8

I think so taser is electric help you stop deaf and I heard to many too people in Saskatoon is awful.. That is not safe deaf is scared because sometimes He want to know lets go to new Canada law. I don't know want to new technology to police want to more job in Station Police. That is better safe prevent to meth and cocaine. That is maybe drunk beer can't help to remember difficult to communication to well misunderstand. I don't 'know however you think new program teach workshops for Law in Canada. I think so conviction to Stephen make sure right to law policy. I don't want to bad if I don't work find out try fight to police want to stop no more bullets.

travis smith
i opinion I think you are good ask to you.

From The Hearing Review: Use of Force Underscores Breakdown Between Police and Deaf Community

-The organization reports that recent incidents involving police officers and individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing remind us that our commitment must be ongoing. For example, in November 2006, Douglas Bahl of Minnesota was pulled over by police for failing to stop at a red light. Bahl is deaf. Bahl tried to use gestures and paper and pen to communicate with the police officer. The police officer used physical force. Bahl was arrested. After being treated at a hospital for his injuries, Bahl was taken to a jail where he spent 4 days without access to a TTY to make a phone call and without interpreter services, despite repeated requests for these accommodations. On September 14, 2007, Bahl was convicted of obstructing the legal process without force.

Bahl is not the first deaf or hard-of-hearing person to encounter communication problems with law enforcement officers, according to NAD. The organization has represented deaf or hard-of-hearing individuals in disability discrimination complaints against law enforcement agencies when those individuals were arrested and held in jail without access to a TTY to make a phone call or interpreter services to communicate effectively with police. As a result of those complaints, the NAD has obtained favorable legal rulings and settlement agreements requiring law enforcement agencies to provide appropriate auxiliary aids and services, including qualified interpreter services and TTYs.
-

---

(No offense, Christian :() From About.Com: Deafness

Police Mistreatment of Deaf

---

From Hearing Loss: The deaf face challenges when interacting with law enforcement

Jerry Siders expected some miscommunication with the police officer who pulled him over for expired tags, but he didn't expect to be held at gunpoint.

"I decided to get out of the car, and the policeman put the gun right up to my face," Siders said. "I pointed to my ears and he knew I was not a dangerous person."

Siders is deaf and spoke through an operator for Sorenson Video Relay services.

"I pointed to a pad in a pocket that I had inside my coat and once he saw that we communicated by writing," said Siders. "Now I know to put paper beside me."

---

From (blog): Say What? About Deafness and Connecting Communities

Thoughts on Deaf and Police Relations

A recent story that made the Modesto Bee news and was later picked up by Deaf News Network, is about a deaf pizza deliveryman who was mistaken for a wanted criminal. A friend of mine, who is reporter at Modesto Bee, forwarded the story to me when it appeared but I didn’t have a chance to use the story till now. The original article is here: deaf pizza deliveryman Tessien was pulled over and shot at with beanbags. Police officers say they did not hear him shout that he was deaf. Tessien is suing the officers in federal court for excessive force and violating the Americans With Disabilities Act for not providing an interpreter after he was taken into custody.

Personally, I have had a generally professional experience with police officers. I’ve been pulled over only twice although I’ve had other encounters over accidents or where I was merely the passenger. One was for a fix-it citation in Yuba City in 1994 or 1995. My rearview mirror had become unglued from my windshield due to extreme summer heat, and a police officer on motorcycle happened to be behind me when he noticed it was not there. The officer communicated with me via notepad.

The second one was near Wainscott, New York for speeding. There was a semi truck loaded with tires and at least 4 other vehicles with me. A team of police officers were nabbing speeders on this residential road that was popular for motorists to take to go around the morning traffic jam. The police officer that dealt with me was young and very polite. He communicated with me via notepad. I tried to give him gruff for ticketing me and informed him I was LATE to work. As it turns out, I shouldn’t have hurried to work. It was the day our CEO announced that they were laying everyone off temporarily. I learned my lesson that day. If I’m late, I’m late period. No amount of speeding is going to turn the clock back.

The only negative experience I had was with Los Angeles police officers when I was living in Northridge. I was involved in an accident with a hearing driver that was DUI, uninsured and not wearing a seatbelt. An emergency response personnel knew a few signs, but we did not use him as an interpreter. One of the police officers was an older officer. He was clearly displeased that he was dealing with two deaf women (my roommate and I). A younger officer intervened and took over. My roommate and I thought the older officer was extremely rude to act impatient with us.

My opinion is that law enforcers have a tough job. They must be hard on the real criminals yet sensitive when dealing with the various people they encounter on the job. And they’re still human beings.

(good and bad experiences also in comments)

---
From (blog) Deaf Insights: Police Brutality AGainst the Deaf Needs To Stop Now! (sorry again, Christian)

We have seen so many physical and verbal abuse reports from the Deaf people all over the country. Majority of the abuse is related to lack of communication. Most law enforcement personnel have no patience in communicating with the Deaf ,even, writing down on paper, also hand gestures.

Ricky Taylor (ridorlive.com) has expressed his lack of trust for law enforcement officers. Taylor's reasons are valid and we have seen too many Rodney King scenarios against the Deaf people in general.

At the deafdc.com there is also a discussion related to law enforcement issues and one prominent writer has expressed his concerns and fears in case he gets pulled over by a law enforcement officer. One little misunderstanding will be impossible to rectify because dead people cannot talk.

A lot of police officers have killed Deaf people in the United States even most of them knew they were Deaf. Law enforcement officers assume that signing to them is a threat and they get into fight and flee mode. They have little or no training on how to communicate using gestures or sign language.

---

From Hands and Voices: A Traffic Violation Can Be High Anxiety For Some Deaf/Hard of Hearing Citizens

You are driving along at night and one of your worst fears comes true. You look in your rear-view mirror and see there is a law enforcement officer behind you. His emergency lights are turned on and you are the one he wants to pull over. Now your anxiety level kicks into high gear. You wonder - how long has he been behind you trying to get you to pull over, will he be angry and how will I let him know that I am deaf/hard of hearing? - Over and over, this and similar scenarios have been described to me by many deaf/hard of hearing people. As a law enforcement officer for over thirty years, fifteen of which I have been the deaf/hard of hearing liaison for the Houston Police Department, I understand the anxiety a deaf/hard of hearing person has when being pulled over for a traffic violation. For this reason I developed a "Deaf/Hard of Hearing V isor Card" for deaf/hard of hearing citizens to carry in their vehicles. I am not the only law enforcement officer that has seen this need. The Michigan State Police and the Chicago Police Department also have visor cards for their deaf/hard of hearing citizens.

---

Post about police by deaf in Deaf Forum

---

News article about deaf and police in DeafSign Forum

Police treatment of Shaun Phurprate

'Obscenity' was sign language
By Hannah Hennessy

A DEAF and dumb man who was arrested for making an obscene gesture was actually using sign language to tell police that he could not hear.
Shaun Phurprate, 22, was out celebrating his birthday with his brother, Michael, 20. PC Steve Hawkins told Sunderland Magistrates’ Court that his patrol car was forced to stop by Mr Phurprate, who had mouthed an obscenity then raised his fingers in an obscene gesture. PC Hawkins told the court that Mr Phurprate had also sworn at him.

Willie Johnstone, for Mr Phurprate, said that his client had made the British sign language signal for “I am deaf”: lifting two fingers to his ear. Mr Phurprate has been deaf since birth with no speech, so could not have sworn, Mr Johnstone said.

The magistrates took just seconds to clear Shaun Phurprate, of Downhill in Sunderland, of being drunk and disorderly. A charge against Michael Phurprate of causing harassment, alarm or distress was also thrown out.

---

From (blog I think) WhiteWolf: Police and Deaf People

Some of you have problem with the police departments and/or their officers. The only thing you should know and keep in mind that NOT all officers are considered bad. There are many GOOD and HELPFUL officers around us. Perhaps, some of you may be abused by them, if you were; before you talk to sergeants, chiefs, or internal affairs: dot down the officer's names, badge number, vehicle's number, time, and location and what happened. Thought, sergeants and/or chiefs are more than happy to assist you in solving the problem between you and an officer in their headquarters. Some of you choose not to report the misconduct of the officer(s), then you rave at anyone about the officer(s).

---

From YouTube: My Deaf Mom, the Cop and the Law

---

Off topic a bit but horrible: Police Forums and Law Enforcement Forums: Deaf driver?

(Post from a policeman!)

The other day I made a stop and found both the driver and passenger to be deaf. This surprised me, as I didn't think a deaf person could get a driver's license. But the driver presented a driver's license and it came back as valid.

I did a short search of our state statutes and could only come up with one the seemed to address this issue: 343.06(1)(f) The department shall not issue a license to any person who is required by this chapter to take an examination, unless such person takes and passes such examination. Deaf persons otherwise qualified under this chapter to receive a license shall be issued such license in the discretion of the secretary.

Does anyone else have any experience with deaf drivers? It would seem to me that being deaf could be a major disadvantage for a driver. Is it legal in your area?

Just curious, mostly.

:squint:

---

Depressing articles.......:(

Gee, I didn't know that cities and states hired stupid people to become police officers and state troopers and the like! :eek3: I don't give any of these cops a break, a benefit of a doubt or anything else that would give them an advantage in a courtroom. You assault a deaf person, you WILL be arrested by the deaf person and charged with at least a misdemeanor; injury to their assistance animal will be upgraded to a possible felony; kill the animal and consider finding a cellmate named Moose to be your best friend, until he or she finds out you were a police officer. :D

Simply put: Violence and threats of violence against deaf and their persons (including assistance animals) will be convicted at the highest extent of the law and will be enforced.

In order to help me along with getting this completed, I need your help. To prove that this is necessary, I need to come up with actual articles where deaf or HoH have come in contact with law enforcement with negative outcomes (ex. someone being injured because they were labeled as non compliant and not deaf or HoH)...and positive ones too. Once again, thanks for all of your help.

Hi, Chrisitian: I did not write in my last post that all the articles/blogs were replies to your request. I looked for positive and negative with several Google searches.

Deaf people can do anything including kill, rape, steal and commit crimes except hear.

I saw those cites at a blog at Deaf Blogs and Vlogs - DeafRead

Berko, Michele-Lee. Preserving the sixth amendment right of the deaf criminal defendant.
97 Dickinson Law Review 101-130 (Fall 1992).

Harris, Susan R. The Hearing Impaired Advocate.
67 Judicature 95-97 (August 1983).

Harry, Bruce. A deaf sex offender.
29 Journal of Forensic Science 1140-1143 (October 1984).

Harry, Bruce. Offenders in a silent world: hearing impairment and deafness in relation to criminality, incompetence, and insanity.
13 American Academy of Psychiatry & Law Bulletin 85-96 (March 1985).

Gallie, Beth and Deirdre. Representing deaf clients: what every lawyer should know.
15 Maine Bar Journal 128-EOA (April 2000).

Gardner, Elaine. Deaf victims and defendants in the criminal justice system.
19 Clearinghouse Review 748-751 (November 1985).

Lee, Stephanie Hoit. Wisconsin v. Rewolinski: do members of the deaf community have a right to be free from search and seizure of their TDD call?
10 Law & Inequality 187-216 (June 1992).

Lee, Randy. Equal protection and a deaf person's right
to serve as a juror.
17 New York University Review of Law and Social Change 81-117 (1989/1990).

Manson, Harold. Jury selection: the courts, the constitution, and the deaf.
11 Pacific Law Journal 967-992 (July 1980).

McAlister, Jamie. Deaf and hard-of-hearing criminal defendants: how you gonna get justice if you can't talk to the judge?.
26 Arizona State Law Journal 163-200 (Spring 1994).

Relyea, Gregg. Procedural due process: a deaf defendant's right to be heard should encompass a right to 'hear' civil trials through interpretation.
29 Catholic University Law Review 867-890 (Summer 1980).

Sheridan, Brian D. Accommodations for the hearing impaired in state courts.
74 The Michigan Bar Journal 396-400 (May 1995).

Shipley, Andrew E. The Deaf Witness.
14 Litigation 13-15 (Fall 1987).

Simon, Jo Anne. The use of interpreters for the deaf and the legal community's obligation to comply with the ADA.
8 Journal of Law and Health 155-199 (1993/1994).

Smith, Deirdre M. Confronting silence: the Constitution, deaf criminal defendants, and the right to interpretation during trial.
46 Maine Law Review 87-150 (1994).

Tucker, Bonnie. Deaf prison inmates: time to be heard.
22 Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review 1-71 (November 1988).

Tucker, Bonnie P. Accommodating hearing-impaired law students and faculty members.
41 Journal of Legal Education 355-361 (September/December 1991).

Tucker, Bonnie. Mental health services for deaf persons: proposed legislation.
Arizona State Law Journal 673-704 (Fall 1980).

Vernon, McCay and Lawrence Raifman. Recognizing and handling problems of incompetent deaf defendants charged with serious offenses.
20 International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 373-387 (Summer 1997).

Vernon, McCay., Raifman, Lawrence J. and Greenberg, Sheldon F. Forensic pretrial police interviews of deaf suspects: avoiding legal pitfalls.
24 International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 43-59 (January/February 2001).

Vernon, McCay, Lawrence Raifman, and Sheldon Greenberg. The Miranda (Miranda v. Arizona, 86 S. Ct. 1602 (1966)) warnings and the deaf suspect.
14 Behavioral Sciences & the Law 121-135 (Winter 1996).

Vernon, McCay; Steinberg, Annie G.; Montoya, Louise A. Deaf murderers: clinical and forensic issues.
17 Behavioral Sci. & L. 495-516 (Autumn 1999).

Wood, Jeffrey. Protecting deaf suspects' right to understand criminal proceedings.
75 The Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology 166-197 (Spring 1984).

The Confidentiality of criminal conversations in TDD Relay Systems,
79 California Law Review 1349-87 (October 1991).

Due process: the deaf and the blind as jurors.
17 New England Law Review 119-152 (1981/1982).

Protecting deaf suspects' right to understand criminal proceedings.
75 The Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology 166-197 (Spring 1984).

Recognizing and preserving legal rights for the hearing impaired in the courtroom.
57 Wisconsin Bar Bulletin 14-16 (November 1984).

Duray and Kaitin, I know you mean well but don't you think it is too many informations on some of the threads from google. It might make Bergc take a long time to study some of the things you put out for informations for him to read. I hope he did not get turn off from all that informations on the threads. Can you just make it simple by talking on the threads about conversations about fears and problems with Law Enforcement police officers, just like talking between two people with easy to understand? The way you put the informations up is way too much for me. Bergc just want to discuss and how to help all of us deafies to find ways to help deaf citizens, whether you are in United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and Europe or other countries about coping with the laws while driving or approaching the police officers. If you have any questions that is bothering you what is happening in your community with the police officers or criminal crisis. Just ask him and he will provide an answer to you about those topics. I don't mean to rattle on and I want it simple to just explain how to behave in a difficult situation when something arise like sitting in the car with the hands on the steering wheel. :wave:

Duray and Kaitin, I know you mean well but don't you think it is too many informations on some of the threads from google. It might make Bergc take a long time to study some of the things you put out for informations for him to read. I hope he did not get turn off from all that informations on the threads. Can you just make it simple by talking on the threads about conversations about fears and problems with Law Enforcement police officers, just like talking between two people with easy to understand? The way you put the informations up is way too much for me. Bergc just want to discuss and how to help all of us deafies to find ways to help deaf citizens, whether you are in United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and Europe or other countries about coping with the laws while driving or approaching the police officers. If you have any questions that is bothering you what is happening in your community with the police officers or criminal crisis. Just ask him and he will provide an answer to you about those topics. I don't mean to rattle on and I want it simple to just explain how to behave in a difficult situation when something arise like sitting in the car with the hands on the steering wheel. :wave:

Probably you are right, Bebonang.

Christian said he wants "actual articles where deaf or HoH have come in contact with law enforcement with negative outcomes (ex. someone being injured because they were labeled as non compliant and not deaf or HoH)...and positive ones too" I wanted to give Christian many articles to read because some are negative and some positive. I was too enthusiastic with articles because I wanted Christian to have better answer than one bad aritcle etc. But I don't want to turn him off. Too late to edit though.

Sorry, Bebonang and Christian!

what do you think so vote

I want to vote election for open mind you what do you want to rule on law. I think so tell you about to Saskatoon. I think so Brad Wall is nice. I think so good election to youth and adult to want to promise to help with comments. I think so possible you are telling about to me about to how you know rule follow new law. I tell it.

I know alone and I cut my arm that is not good. I have bleed on the cut on the stitch the very bad. St.Paul Hospital is have doctor told stop don't do that hurt to my arm. I tell my dad stopped verbal to me. I don't understand what is about to communication to my father. I don't like about to treat to adult to against to my father is very rude. I don't like treat to my dad very aggressive. That is awful.. I am surprised I don't believe that is one hard specific understand you nothing.

Greetings! My name is Christian and I'm from MN. Im getting close to finishing my degree in law enforcement from Minnesota State and work part time as a sheriff's deputy. This semester I took my first ASL class and instantly fell in love with it. I was able to take what I learned my first week and transfer it over to my job. I'm writing a paper for my ASL 1 class and want to focus on Law Enforcement and the Deaf community. I would appreciate any feedback that you could give me on your aspects on law enforcement. Please provide any positive/negative contacts that you've had, things you would want to see changed or any tips that you can give me that I can carry over into my job when Im working with someone in the deaf community. Again, I appreciate any feedback you can give!
-Berg

I do not have much experience with those cops here except this is small town so we know one cop very well and we get along greatly. Anyway I just want to comment one thing. Never tell us that we can not drive because we are deaf. One of my deaf friend pulled over on freeway for driving on fast lane one day, the cop told him You can not drive. He was shocked to hear from this cop and he was so patient and polite. Yes sir then cop let him go. We do not live in Japan, we live in America and we have to drive to work everyday that is how we make money to pay bills just alike everyone else hearing or not. Thank u for your interest in us.

I want to vote election for open mind you what do you want to rule on law. I think so tell you about to Saskatoon. I think so Brad Wall is nice. I think so good election to youth and adult to want to promise to help with comments. I think so possible you are telling about to me about to how you know rule follow new law. I tell it.

I know alone and I cut my arm that is not good. I have bleed on the cut on the stitch the very bad. St.Paul Hospital is have doctor told stop don't do that hurt to my arm. I tell my dad stopped verbal to me. I don't understand what is about to communication to my father. I don't like about to treat to adult to against to my father is very rude. I don't like treat to my dad very aggressive. That is awful.. I am surprised I don't believe that is one hard specific understand you nothing.

Hi, Travis. Before I didn't see your post. Sorry.

I am sorry you cut your arm and your dad doesn't communicate with you. I hope other family (mom? brother? sister? uncle?) or friend help you. Also I hope now you feel better and found friendly people in Saskatchewon. :)

Back