Social Security disability insolvency?

The Fair Tax would solve that problem.

That's backwards.

If the court tells the parent to pay a certain dollar amount per month rather than a percentage of income for child support, then the non-custodial parent would be motivated to get as much work and income as possible.

There shouldn't be a time limit on when back payments can be collected.

If the garnishment is attached to the SSN, then it shouldn't matter where the person works.

In that case, send them to jail. I'm sure they'd like to pay their way out.

It's not simple but that's not the same as impossible.

The babymakers are getting away with way too much. The custodial parents and courts need to put the pressure on for the child support.

At least collecting from the ones who are working and can pay, would free up resources for support to those trying to collect from those who can't.

Do you know what 'working under the table' means? It means that someone who does that is not paying any tax at all (no tax for Medicare, SS, state, etc). The employer does not have this person on records and is paying directly to the person in cash, maybe checks. So, no tax system (including the fair tax) would have results. The deadbeat may also be doing gigs (like cleaning a house, some landscaping) or odd jobs and keep all the money without reporting to the state or IRS.

Someone may be motivated to work more, but it depends on his skill set and the economy. And, not all deadbeats are motivated to support their kids. That's the truth because it does happen. A friend of mine has a partner like that. This partner was married and had a child, but then he got divorced. He used to have a good steady job doing service work on electronic towers. But then he became a slacker pothead boozer who mooches off of my friend. He was supposed to pay child support, but he hasn't done that. He would quit jobs, and he has zero motivation to work. He wouldn't consider applying to a McDonald's.

You don't know how long it takes to find a deadbeat. You would need a lawyer or a private investigator to find out if the deadbeat has a job and where, then there has to be a court order so to get the wages garnished. Then the order has to be passed down to the employer so they can process the order and set up the paychecks to divert the child support amount. And if the deadbeat quits, the process starts all over again.

This sucks for everyone all around , including deadbeat.

what about parents on disability? I don't see the revelance? as for jail comment- I think SS should be suspended when in jail.

I still dont understand why when we have all this today's technology- it should be found within a week when a person starts working.

yeah I know- any ideas?!

I agree with you, but you need to be careful with your wording. we need to protect the rights of a disabled person attempting to work. If an employer says umm , yeah they could (remember- companies do things by the numbers) and "temporary" add more hours thinking they have to do it because they are under government scrutiny. After the said disabled person is working full time, then they pare back hours after SSA is not looking then what?! We need to make sure the employer CAN guarantee permanent full time hours within reason.

Kinda like canada where everyone has coverage? We could use a page out of cananda's playbook in healthcare , thats for sure.

If a deadbeat is on SSI, his SSI can't be garnished. So, no child support payment. SSDI can be garnished, but I think there's a max percentage that can be taken out. If someone is in jail, his/her SSI/SSDI payments are suspended until he/she gets out.

Like I said to another commenter, it takes weeks to find a deadbeat. Have someone search employment records by SS number (if the custodial parent even has it), then get a court order for wage garnishment, then send it to the employer, then the employer has to set up the payroll to divert child support amount. And if the deadbeat quits? The process starts all over again.

I just found this: one-third of child support in the US hasn't been paid. That should tell you just how much of a problem it is just to collect support.

If an employer pares back the hours, the worker can call the SSA and let them know. Then, he/she can file for partial unemployment income while trying to get back more hours or find a second job or a full time job somewhere else. I have read in many threads that some people here are not motivated in working full time. This really isn't an issue of the employer paring back the hours; the worker pared back the hours in order to keep the full amount of benefits, like my friend/co-worker. The worker should go looking for a second job just like anyone else who is not disabled. Being disabled doesn't always mean they can't work at all. When I was talking about the SSA contacting the employer, all the employer has to state that more hours are available and can give them to the worker. The SSA is not going to force the employer to give more hours if these are not available. My friend/co-workers herself told me she doesn't want to work more, wants to relax more while being paid to do that. She can get more hours, but she's not willing due to laziness.

Back