Social Security disability insolvency?

or.... he can be a federal/state employee instead

Give me some ideas .... I am at the end of my rope.

edit: I have also been looking into local resources for him to complete his GED - he has the smarts, just not the confidence.

hard to tell. you'll have to describe him for me. what kind of guy is he? is he a type who can fare well in armed force? what's his talent/interest/hobby? can he do labor job? etc.

edit: I have also been looking into local resources for him to complete his GED - he has the smarts, just not the confidence.

you sure it's the confidence issue? not laziness?

you sure it's the confidence issue? not laziness?

I don't really know and it's hard to tell. He does everything I ask him to do - but he has to be told how to do it, what to do, and when he is done, he stops and I have to go find him.

He is awfully slow and very timid. He is not a slow thinker - he takes much more time (waaaay too much time) to complete a task, and it is my opinion that he is trying to do it absolutely perfect.

He has self esteem issues and beats himself up when he doesn't get something done absolutely perfect.

That has been a pattern I have noticed with him that has been consistent. He also gives up way to easy. It might seem to be laziness, but I think there are other issues. I do not suspect drugs - that has been ruled out. I think this pattern of behaviour may have to do more with a traumatic upbringing - mourning the loss of his mother etc.

He is very polite and personable and very respectful. He is in very good physical shape - can play basketball in this heat for 8 hours straight.

I don't really know and it's hard to tell. He does everything I ask him to do - but he has to be told how to do it, what to do, and when he is done, he stops and I have to go find him.

He is awfully slow and very timid. He is not a slow thinker - he takes much more time (waaaay too much time) to complete a task, and it is my opinion that he is trying to do it absolutely perfect.

He has self esteem issues and beats himself up when he doesn't get something done absolutely perfect.

That has been a pattern I have noticed with him that has been consistent. He also gives up way to easy. It might seem to be laziness, but I think there are other issues. I do not suspect drugs - that has been ruled out.

He is very polite and personable and very respectful. He is in very good physical shape - can play basketball in this heat for 8 hours straight.

hmmmm..... looks like a labor-type worker. and probably reliable.

well then.... gardening-related job? construction? forestry? warehouse?

hmmmm..... looks like a labor-type worker. and probably reliable.

well then.... gardening-related job? construction? forestry? warehouse?

He would be way too slow. He second guesses himself all the time. Which, I don't think, in the right environment, would be a bad thing. He is methodical.

edit: We have discussed what he wants to be "when he grows up" - both of us realize that time is already here - he wants to be a CNA because that is what his mother did. He wants to work in thehealth field - and yes, I can actually see him being good at that - he cares about people.

I don't really know and it's hard to tell. He does everything I ask him to do - but he has to be told how to do it, what to do, and when he is done, he stops and I have to go find him....
He might do OK as a one-term enlisted man but unless he becomes more "take charge" he won't make it as a career military member.

One of the important areas military people are evaluated for is if they can work without supervision. If they can't do that, they can't be promoted beyond the most basic levels. If you can't be promoted, you can't be retained (reenlisted).

Initiative is important in the military.

Maybe he should try factory assembly work.

This person does not have a disability and qualifies for the GED program that the Army National Guard offers. If my understanding is correct, if he is enlisted, he gets medical insurance, dental, vision, and qualifies for the GI Bill once he completes his GED.

I think it is a good opportunity for him.

For people with GED, you are required to have 15 credits from college to able to join the military, that what my sister was told because she got GED and denied from join the military due fail to meet education requirement.

For people with GED, you are required to have 15 credits from college to able to join the military, that what my sister was told because she got GED and denied from join the military due fail to meet education requirement.

They have a program now for high school drop outs.

Who is the "current" President? Is it Bush? Still trying to blame the actions of the current administration on Bush?

When Obama took office in 2008, the national debt was $10.626 trillion. It is currently $14.071 trillion. That means that our national debt increased on average of $5 billion a day since Obama has been in office.

In 2009, Obama signed a $409 billion pork laden omnibus spending bill.

In other words, during the "current" administration - which would be the Obama administration - for the very first time in our nations's 236 year history, our credit rating has been downgraded. So, don't try to blame this on the Tea Party, or the Republicans. The Democrats controlled the house and the senate for two years, and look what happened.

Not to mention the $265 billion in the stimulus package that failed.

Economic and political commentators have noted a pattern between changes in US national debt and US presidential terms in the recent few decades. Commentators have noted that US national debt (as a percentage of GDP) had increased under Republican Presidents, but had decreased under Democratic Presidents since the mid-1970s until the presidency of Barack Obama.
National debt by U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are going to have to refresh my memory. Spats on AD don't stick with me any longer than 4 minutes, tops.:laugh2:

Ok - thank you for not holding any grudges - let me think about it. (this one is serious stuff).

While the SS system is still around, it's not quite as stable as we would like. So, there should be more rules. Like say someone found a job while on SSDI, he/she should be pushed to go for full time if possible. I have a co-worker who can work more but she doesn't want to. She is currently working about 20-23 hours a week. Whenever she gets a quarterly bonus or a holiday bonus, she cuts back her hours temporarily so she stays under the income limit. When she gets her annual raise, she also cuts back her hours a bit. Her husband makes a nice salary because he worked for some electrical wiring company for about 30 years (retiring in a few years) and he does a lot of overtime. She does have a long history of employment as well; she was laid off from her acocunting job before coming to work at Walmart. She wouldn't let go of her SSDI until she feels her debt (mortgage, loans, etc) have been mostly cleared. In other wods, she is counting on SSDI as a secondary source of income and relishes the free time she can get. She knows that her retirement checks will be smaller, but she's not worried because her husband will be bringing in fat SS checks when he retires, on top of his pension payments.

So, a general rule would be checking with the emlployer to see if more hours could be given to the SSDI recipient. If more hours are possible, SSDI checks are automatically pared back so the recipient is working more. If the recipient truly can't work more, the medical documents will back that up. Hearing loss alone wouldn't prevent a person from working more.

One out of one thousand people is deaf. Plus, blind people, people in wheelchairs, children who lost a parent, widows, Down Syndrome, mental health issues, children with disabilities, and so on. We are now supporting one person with tax money paid out by three workers. Let's be realistic. SS needs reform and stricter rules. We should be more flexible about Medicare and let all people with disabilities have Medicare no matter if they are working or on SSDI. There should be federal programs providing jobs directly to people with disabilities if they are experiencing discrimination.

so instead of giving them food stamps... you prefer to say "uh too bad. not my problem" to single mom with kids to feed?

make the fathers feed their fuckn kids

as the bumper sticker sez, "Cant Feed 'em Dont Breed 'em!"

make the fathers feed their fuckn kids

The problem is, some deadbeats do duck the system by working under the table (pay no taxes) or getting a lousy job on purpose. Say he has the skills to be a manager at a nice company or a construction worker on big projects or an engineer, he might go work at McDonald's instead so he pays less in child support.

And then you have some parents who are indeed struggling to survive themselves. Say a guy earns $1200 a month and has to pay $800 in rent and utilities. That leaves $400 for other things, including child support.

Then there are parents who are on disability or in jail. SSDI can be garnished but not SSI. Parents in jail can't have a job.

When a deadbeat parent applies for a job, it can take months to find out where he/she is working and then issue a court order to garnish his/her wages. When the deadbeat finds out his/her wages are garnished, he/she will quit and go find another job.

Rich deadbeats do sneakily squirrel away their money in other accounts so nobody can find that and use it to support the custodial parent.

So, it's not really that simple chasing down non-custodial parents.

Plus, this economy is lousy and the unemployment rate is pretty high. So, if a non-custodial parent is very willing to work but can't find a job, there's still no money for the custodial parent.

The problem is, some deadbeats do duck the system by working under the table (pay no taxes)
The Fair Tax would solve that problem.

or getting a lousy job on purpose. Say he has the skills to be a manager at a nice company or a construction worker on big projects or an engineer, he might go work at McDonald's instead so he pays less in child support.

And then you have some parents who are indeed struggling to survive themselves. Say a guy earns $1200 a month and has to pay $800 in rent and utilities. That leaves $400 for other things, including child support.
That's backwards.

If the court tells the parent to pay a certain dollar amount per month rather than a percentage of income for child support, then the non-custodial parent would be motivated to get as much work and income as possible.

Then there are parents who are on disability or in jail. SSDI can be garnished but not SSI. Parents in jail can't have a job.
There shouldn't be a time limit on when back payments can be collected.

When a deadbeat parent applies for a job, it can take months to find out where he/she is working and then issue a court order to garnish his/her wages. When the deadbeat finds out his/her wages are garnished, he/she will quit and go find another job.
If the garnishment is attached to the SSN, then it shouldn't matter where the person works.

Rich deadbeats do sneakily squirrel away their money in other accounts so nobody can find that and use it to support the custodial parent.
In that case, send them to jail. I'm sure they'd like to pay their way out.

So, it's not really that simple chasing down non-custodial parents.
It's not simple but that's not the same as impossible.

The babymakers are getting away with way too much. The custodial parents and courts need to put the pressure on for the child support.

Plus, this economy is lousy and the unemployment rate is pretty high. So, if a non-custodial parent is very willing to work but can't find a job, there's still no money for the custodial parent.
At least collecting from the ones who are working and can pay, would free up resources for support to those trying to collect from those who can't.

The problem is, some deadbeats do duck the system by working under the table (pay no taxes) or getting a lousy job on purpose. Say he has the skills to be a manager at a nice company or a construction worker on big projects or an engineer, he might go work at McDonald's instead so he pays less in child support.

This sucks for everyone all around , including deadbeat.

what about parents on disability? I don't see the revelance? as for jail comment- I think SS should be suspended when in jail.

I still dont understand why when we have all this today's technology- it should be found within a week when a person starts working.

yeah I know- any ideas?!

While the SS system is still around, it's not quite as stable as we would like. So, there should be more rules. Like say someone found a job while on SSDI, he/she should be pushed to go for full time if possible.

I agree with you, but you need to be careful with your wording. we need to protect the rights of a disabled person attempting to work. If an employer says umm , yeah they could (remember- companies do things by the numbers) and "temporary" add more hours thinking they have to do it because they are under government scrutiny. After the said disabled person is working full time, then they pare back hours after SSA is not looking then what?! We need to make sure the employer CAN guarantee permanent full time hours within reason.

We should be more flexible about Medicare and let all people with disabilities have Medicare no matter if they are working or on SSDI. There should be federal programs providing jobs directly to people with disabilities if they are experiencing discrimination.

Kinda like canada where everyone has coverage? We could use a page out of cananda's playbook in healthcare , thats for sure.

Back