So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nope, I think FJ knows what I'm referring to. I've read plenty of blogs where parents are frustrated that they can't get their child implant above 30 db.

I honestly don't know that. I have not read those blogs, but I would love to, because I am sure they need support. What devices do they have? When were they implanted? Where do they live? Maybe I could recommend a better audiologist, I know of many that are great, and the audiologist really is key.

nope, I think FJ knows what I'm referring to. I've read plenty of blogs where parents are frustrated that they can't get their child implant above 30 db or above 20 db

Ah, changed your post...

20 db is great. It is perfectly acceptable for a CI user to hear at anything better than 30 db, because then they can access all of speech.

faire joure, WRONG!!!!! Please stop acting like I'm an anti CI/anti HA old school deafie.
You are forgetting that I AM HOH. I am NOT denying that kids can hear pretty well with hearing aids/CIs. Heck, I really like my HAs. (and have ALWAYS loved them)
BUT, HOH DOES NOT equal hearing. Even late deafened people don't always get a TON of benifit from CI! As a matter of fact, even Hearing Exchange and HLAA (both organizations that are VERY hardcore about both admit, that benifit is very indivdual!
I KNOW the difference between a "voice off profound Deafie" and a Hoh kid.
It's great that your daughter is doing really well with her CI. Heck my parents prolly reacted the same way when I got my first hearing aids!
BUT hoh DOES NOT MEAN hearing. It has NOTHING to do with how well a kid can respond to sound. It's a CULTRAL thing. That is what you're not understanding! Hoh is a COMBO of being hearing AND DEAF. The traditional thinking is that hoh kids are more hearing then deaf, culturally. Yes, some hoh kids are "almost hearing" culturally but many more fall across the identity spectrum. To the point where many hoh kids can identify as being "almost Deaf"

nope, I think FJ knows what I'm referring to. I've read plenty of blogs where parents are frustrated that they can't get their child implant above 30 db or above 20 db

I'm surprised, because I've not come across - in person or in blogs - any implanted-young who aren't testing above 30db with full-insertion. That isn't to say there aren't many parents concerned with refining that MAP to improve comprehension and articulation, but that initial access to sound isn't usually in question.

faire joure, WRONG!!!!! Please stop acting like I'm an anti CI/anti HA old school deafie.
You are forgetting that I AM HOH. I am NOT denying that kids can hear pretty well with hearing aids/CIs. Heck, I really like my HAs. (and have ALWAYS loved them)
BUT, HOH DOES NOT equal hearing. Even late deafened people don't always get a TON of benifit from CI! As a matter of fact, even Hearing Exchange and HLAA (both organizations that are VERY hardcore about both admit, that benifit is very indivdual!
I KNOW the difference between a "voice off profound Deafie" and a Hoh kid.
It's great that your daughter is doing really well with her CI. Heck my parents prolly reacted the same way when I got my first hearing aids!
BUT hoh DOES NOT MEAN hearing. It has NOTHING to do with how well a kid can respond to sound. It's a CULTRAL thing. That is what you're not understanding! Hoh is a COMBO of being hearing AND DEAF. The traditional thinking is that hoh kids are more hearing then deaf, culturally. Yes, some hoh kids are "almost hearing" culturally but many more fall across the identity spectrum. To the point where many hoh kids can identify as being "almost Deaf"

Where did I say ANY of those things?

This debate is getting old. The thread was a good one, but the debate is not helping those who were interested in the primary idea behind this thread.

I love ASL and the Deaf culture...I don't think I would be where I am now without it. Probably still stuck in abad marriage believing that all hearing people are superior over deaf people. Thank god I got rid of that mindset and don't take their BS anymore. :)

I'm surprised, because I've not come across - in person or in blogs - any implanted-young who aren't testing above 30db with full-insertion. That isn't to say there aren't many parents concerned with refining that MAP to improve comprehension and articulation, but that initial access to sound isn't usually in question.
I can't remember where because it was a long time ago, but it doesn't matter because we know that some people hear at 30 db or above with their implant. I wasn't talking about below.

I can't remember where because it was a long time ago, but it doesn't matter because we know that some people hear at 30 db or above with their implant. I wasn't talking about below.

I don't understand. Are you saying that you agree with Grendel (and me) or not? I'm a little confused.

I love ASL and the Deaf culture...I don't think I would be where I am now without it. Probably still stuck in abad marriage believing that all hearing people are superior over deaf people. Thank god I got rid of that mindset and don't take their BS anymore. :)

I am loving ASL more as I learn it. I am also loving the Deaf Culture more and more as I learn about it as well. AllDeaf has helped me in more ways than one. AllDeaf and the people here have helped me deal with going from hoh to total deaf without too many issues.

I'm saying not almost all kids hear at 15 db.

Nobody said that. I (and Grendel agreed) said that nearly all implanted children hear above 30 db. I said that MY child hears and understands speech (meaning she can discriminate words) at 15 db.

you say same benefit as your child. I assume you mean 15 db as well.

I don't know when I said "same benefit" but I never meant EXACTLY the same. I mean that children who are implanted (barring an extenuating circumstance such as no nerve or malformation) get the spoken language benefit my child does, which is the ability to hear all sounds in spoken language. That would mean hearing better than 30 db.

I apologize. I was just going with the flow of your sentences. I had to ask myself "what benefit was she referring to" and you were talking about whispers and 15 db before the "you know what, ..."

This is whole medical view on deafness is getting old. We are people not a pair of ears. Just start a thread about all these adiology stuff. It is getting too confusing.

This is whole medical view on deafness is getting old. We are people not a pair of ears. Just start a thread about all these adiology stuff. It is getting too confusing.

I thought this thread was about whether or not modern technology would end deaf culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back