so i want to go to gallaudet after high school...

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
I've been thinking about colleges awhile since i'm getting into my senior year. The top colleges i've been thinking and looking into alot is Gallaudet. And I really want to go to this school because I've been in mainstream school alot throughout my 17 1/2 years of life. The reason why I wanted to go to this school is because I get to use my ASL more, get to be around my deaf culture more, and not feeling left out at all with nobody talking to me or miss-communication during lunch, I went to st.rita's school for the deaf in the 4th grade for about 1 semester and that was It. I didn't really like st.rita's... Plus being in mainstreaming schools was a struggle to keep up with grades because of my bad interpreter from 3 years of middle school including 3 years of high school with her (as I posted alot on all deaf). Also, Gallaudet has my major and minor that I want to do. Which is majoring in graphic design and minoring in photography. So, I'm hoping that I would really like gallaudet after leaving st.rita's for one semester.

The bad part about it is that my parents kind of knows that I want to go to gallaudet. They keep making an excuse saying that I would be far from home, its a bad neighborhood, a high tuition (but i'm just confused about the tuition situation from their website.) and they think I won't enjoy being in a dorm there or just not being able to talk alot. I think they just want me to stay in ohio. But the thing is I have to grow up, I mean I'm not going to be living in their house until they're getting older. I asked my mom a few minutes ago if I could talk to her about gallaudet tomorrow, she rolled her eyes. I don't know how to make her understand why I'm choosing this school. A few close friends of mine have heard about me wanting to go to gallaudet, and after i told them about my situation with my parents, they said "it doesn't hurt to try and apply for it." But i don't know. Should I please my parents on not applying for gallaudet and stay in ohio? :hmm:

Is YOUR life. Do you want regret for rest of your life missing out because you try please parents?

I've been thinking about colleges awhile since i'm getting into my senior year. The top colleges i've been thinking and looking into alot is Gallaudet. And I really want to go to this school because I've been in mainstream school alot throughout my 17 1/2 years of life. The reason why I wanted to go to this school is because I get to use my ASL more, get to be around my deaf culture more, and not feeling left out at all with nobody talking to me or miss-communication during lunch, I went to st.rita's school for the deaf in the 4th grade for about 1 semester and that was It. I didn't really like st.rita's... Plus being in mainstreaming schools was a struggle to keep up with grades because of my bad interpreter from 3 years of middle school including 3 years of high school with her (as I posted alot on all deaf). Also, Gallaudet has my major and minor that I want to do. Which is majoring in graphic design and minoring in photography. So, I'm hoping that I would really like gallaudet after leaving st.rita's for one semester.

The bad part about it is that my parents kind of knows that I want to go to gallaudet. They keep making an excuse saying that I would be far from home, its a bad neighborhood, a high tuition (but i'm just confused about the tuition situation from their website.) and they think I won't enjoy being in a dorm there or just not being able to talk alot. I think they just want me to stay in ohio. But the thing is I have to grow up, I mean I'm not going to be living in their house until they're getting older. I asked my mom a few minutes ago if I could talk to her about gallaudet tomorrow, she rolled her eyes. I don't know how to make her understand why I'm choosing this school. A few close friends of mine have heard about me wanting to go to gallaudet, and after i told them about my situation with my parents, they said "it doesn't hurt to try and apply for it." But i don't know. Should I please my parents on not applying for gallaudet and stay in ohio? :hmm:

just a thought to think about - even if you go to Gally... they'd have to accommodate you because you are not fluent in ASL yet. It's a bit of double-edged sword.

Think carefully and choose wisely.

I'm assuming that you are already 18+ years old so now you can legally make a decision for yourself and take action for yourself. You should contact your nearest VR and make an appointment to talk to them about it.

VR = Vocational Rehabilitation. They do usually pay for schools. Every state has VR agency. Simply google "[your state] Vocational Rehabilitation"

just a thought to think about - even if you go to Gally... they'd have to accommodate you because you are not fluent in ASL yet. It's a bit of double-edged sword.

I'm assuming that you are already 18+ years old so now you can legally make a decision for yourself and take action for yourself. You should contact your nearest VR and make an appointment to talk to them about it.

VR = Vocational Rehabilitation. They do usually pay for schools. Every state has VR agency. Simply google "[your state] Vocational Rehabilitation"

Alot of my deaf friends can understand me pretty well with my ASL. I've been signing alot with my friends, i'm even teaching them. Plus i have an interpreter with me as well.

And i haven't contacted VR.. I honestly thought the best way to kind of help pay for college would be saving up for college and finding scholarships for school. And i'm not quite sure if my parent's would be super happy about me contacting VR. one of my deaf friends is going to gallaudet next year, and I might try and text him and see how much the tuition is.

She has had ASL terps for a long time. I would assume she is fluent enough in it.

Alot of my deaf friends can understand me pretty well with my ASL. I've been signing alot with my friends, i'm even teaching them. Plus i have an interpreter with me as well.

And i haven't contacted VR.. I honestly thought the best way to kind of help pay for college would be saving up for college and finding scholarships for school. And i'm not quite sure if my parent's would be super happy about me contacting VR. one of my deaf friends is going to gallaudet next year, and I might try and text him and see how much the tuition is.

oh my bad! I must be confusing you with somebody else. well then! :thumb:

yep - contact your local VR and see what happens next. You need to act fast cuz this whole process does take quite a while. They may or may not pay for your Gally tuition cuz they do factor in your parents' income status.

As Gally student, the neighborhood around Gally is okay but unsafe at night and recommended to go with someone to make in group. I got used with them now and they aren't bad as I thought.

You could try to apply for Gally and you are more likely to accepted at Gally but for with low ACT/SAT score, or low GPA, or committee believes that you need more support then you will be required to attend Jumpstart program before able to register for fall semester. This program isn't bad and they just want to help you to be ready for fall semester.

oh my bad! I must be confusing you with somebody else. well then! :thumb:

yep - contact your local VR and see what happens next. You need to act fast cuz this whole process does take quite a while. They may or may not pay for your Gally tuition cuz they do factor in your parents' income status.

That's true, every situation with VR is different from state to state.

Just curious... why don't you like St. Rita? Too many nuns??? I went to St. Rita from 9th grade to graduation so there are no nuns in high school. I am glad I missed the nuns completely.

Yes, do go and see your friend about the VR and Gallaudet. Good luck!

Wish VR would help to pay for other schools besides just colleges for the deaf.

Anyway, apply to Gally and see how it goes. You could end up getting scholarships. Don't let parents dictate your whole life.

first, contact the VR and make appointment first. You can wait till to see what VR looks up at your parents income status and explains to VR about your parents. To see if VR thinks you may be eligible for VR then you can try to neogiate with your parents to make a deal. like You tell your parents that you will make sure to get a good grade for a year at gallaudet then you can continue to finish it. If you happens not to do not too well at gallaudet then you will come home and stay in where you guys live and attend to college community to make your parents think hard. You need to tell them how you feel, " i d like to explore deaf identify, communicate methods and can try out for any kind of activities with clearly communication" did you know gallaudet have "bison song" Deaf person signs in singing while Deaf person uses the big drum ( i do not know whats it called for the big drum) when the Deaf person sings in signing to follow the beats of the drum but Deaf person hits the drum real loud that go flow well along with the Deaf person sings. AWESOME. here it is Gallaudet University [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVbUfuqXuk]Galladuet University's Bison Song Team 2005-2006 - YouTube[/ame]

sorry i cant find the Deaf person to use the drum in youtube but everyone can hear and feel the vibration.

I found it. lots of Deaf people tried to apply for playing the drum. this youtube seems to me that they practice or something. It's gallaudet Unviersity's tradition bison song. MY FAVORITE SONG.

you could try for this one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD5Wv1PaIaU&feature=related]Gallaudet University Bison Song - YouTube[/ame]

Just curious... why don't you like St. Rita? Too many nuns??? I went to St. Rita from 9th grade to graduation so there are no nuns in high school. I am glad I missed the nuns completely.

Yes, do go and see your friend about the VR and Gallaudet. Good luck!

Part of the reason why I stayed at st.rita's for a semester was because of being far away from home, I never lived in their dorms. And the teachers there was too strict when i was a student there, I remember getting into trouble one time with one of the nuns for i forget what I did wrong, But one of the nuns had me and another guy in the room together and I think we were arguing about something and she was really strict, and she got a ruler in her hand as if she was going to smack our hand with the ruler for misbehaving, I was so afraid of her. it's been awhile. My parents didn't like it. But I really enjoyed being at Horace Mann, I was there for about i think 2 years (2nd and 3rd grade) , they had 2 deaf classes there and the rest of the school was hearing. That's where I met most of my deaf friends, including deaf clubs. Horace mann was really friendly and really helpful. Just like you said gallaudet is.

Oh yes In the old times, nuns usually hit the rulers on Deaf kids' hands. It did happen in my old school years ago. jeez.

first, contact the VR and make appointment first. You can wait till to see what VR looks up at your parents income status and explains to VR about your parents. To see if VR thinks you may be eligible for VR then you can try to neogiate with your parents to make a deal. like You tell your parents that you will make sure to get a good grade for a year at gallaudet then you can continue to finish it. If you happens not to do not too well at gallaudet then you will come home and stay in where you guys live and attend to college community to make your parents think hard. You need to tell them how you feel, " i d like to explore deaf identify, communicate methods and can try out for any kind of activities with clearly communication" did you know gallaudet have "bison song" Deaf person signs in singing while Deaf person uses the big drum ( i do not know whats it called for the big drum) when the Deaf person sings in signing to follow the beats of the drum but Deaf person hits the drum real loud that go flow well along with the Deaf person sings. AWESOME. here it is Gallaudet University Galladuet University's Bison Song Team 2005-2006 - YouTube

sorry i cant find the Deaf person to use the drum in youtube but everyone can hear and feel the vibration.

The video looks Awesome! I saw the other video too. What the drummer is playing is simply easy. Just 8th and quarter notes :giggle: And no i never knew that Gallaudet did that kind of stuff. I was looking around for activities there and I never saw anything about the Bison (if i spelled that correctly) song. It looks really fun to do!

Yeah. I love to be in this very much same room. You could feel the beats. Awesome.

Bison Song

The Bison Song was originally written in 1960, in English, by Gallaudet student Dorothy Squire Miles (Class of '61). It is, of course, presented in American Sign Language (ASL) during Gallaudet events instead of in spoken or sung English. Each year, auditions are held among the students for one female and one male performer to lead the Bison Song at Gallaudet games.

The ASL version's words have diverged from the original English over the years. This is probably in part from a student desire for a more "aggressive" song, and probably in part from the annual performers' desire to imprint their own stamp on the song. Following are Miles' original 1960 English version of the Bison Song, a 1980s ASL version, and an ASL version from around 2002. The latter two have been "glossed" into English words.

Dorothy Miles' original Bison Song

Hail, hail, mighty Bison spirit!
Hail to Gallaudet's flag
Its colors are buff and blue.

We challenge the four corners of the world
While we fight, aim, fight to pull our team through
Even though all along we are frustrated.

We are being beaten, we are losing. We wait.
We wait. As the sun rises, we practice.
The sun comes up, the sun goes down.

We practice.
All night, all morning.
It's time for the game.

Throw that whistle away.
We hear nothing.
Why? Why?
We are deaf.

Our team, our big team cooperates,
Rah, rah, rah, we support our team.
We love our mighty Bison.

Up the proud Tower Clock pole is Gallaudet's flag,
Its colors are what? Of course, buff and blue.

FAQ: Gallaudet Bison: Origin, Statue, Song, etc.

Yeah, you might be far from home, but lots of students are too! You won't be alone if you get homesick. Plus you can always Skype, VP, send mail, etc. It's a bad neighborhood, but as long as you aren't out by yourself wandering the bad area at night, you'll be fine. Basically you just need to have some common sense and be aware of your surroundings. That's the same with ANY other big city--not just DC.

The tuition is expensive, but not more than many schools I was accepted to. It's not as expensive as an Ivy League or something. Someone already told you about VR, and that's something that'll help to pay whatever college you choose to go to. If you qualify for it, they pay for SO much. If not, then I'd just cross your fingers for scholarships. Gallaudet has many scholarships that'll pay for a good chunk of your tuition if your GPA and everything is satisfactory. Dorms aren't that bad. I wouldn't even concern myself with that at all, it's just part of the college experience.

If you do apply to Gallaudet, just letting you know that if you apply early in the fall, it's FREE TO APPLY if you're deaf. So you could always see if you get a scholarship or something before you talk to your parents about it again.

As far as talking...There's TONS of oral/mainstreamed students at Gallaudet. You won't miss talking, because when you go to the store, to the mall, or whatever, hearing people are everywhere for you to talk to. :P I'm sure hearing students wouldn't mind talking to you if you asked, but because Gally IS a deaf campus, you have to sign at all times. If you're in your dorm and your roommate talks too, then obviously that doesn't matter. Talk away.

The decision is yours in the end, but don't do anything you'll regret later on. Choose what makes YOU happy.

Back