so i want to go to gallaudet after high school...

Yeah, you might be far from home, but lots of students are too! You won't be alone if you get homesick. Plus you can always Skype, VP, send mail, etc. It's a bad neighborhood, but as long as you aren't out by yourself wandering the bad area at night, you'll be fine. Basically you just need to have some common sense and be aware of your surroundings. That's the same with ANY other big city--not just DC.

The tuition is expensive, but not more than many schools I was accepted to. It's not as expensive as an Ivy League or something. Someone already told you about VR, and that's something that'll help to pay whatever college you choose to go to. If you qualify for it, they pay for SO much. If not, then I'd just cross your fingers for scholarships. Gallaudet has many scholarships that'll pay for a good chunk of your tuition if your GPA and everything is satisfactory. Dorms aren't that bad. I wouldn't even concern myself with that at all, it's just part of the college experience.

If you do apply to Gallaudet, just letting you know that if you apply early in the fall, it's FREE TO APPLY if you're deaf. So you could always see if you get a scholarship or something before you talk to your parents about it again.

As far as talking...There's TONS of oral/mainstreamed students at Gallaudet. You won't miss talking, because when you go to the store, to the mall, or whatever, hearing people are everywhere for you to talk to. :P I'm sure hearing students wouldn't mind talking to you if you asked, but because Gally IS a deaf campus, you have to sign at all times. If you're in your dorm and your roommate talks too, then obviously that doesn't matter. Talk away.

The decision is yours in the end, but don't do anything you'll regret later on. Choose what makes YOU happy.

Just to add....."bad area" doesn't nessarily mean if you wander in, you'll get shot and killed by gangs. Matter of fact, I think unless you're buying drugs or in a gang dangerous areas can be OK.....It's not like it's Beruit or Iraq or whatever. But yeah....always be with someone in those types of neighborhoods...especially if there are high numbers of drug addicts.....
And I agree with you coolgirlspyer. TELL your parents that you want to have an AMAZING college experiance. with other deaf kids. The Deaf college experiance is NOT gonna be found at a hearing school with a handful of dhh UGs. It is SO worth it.....especially with networking for jobs later on. Yes, Gally is far away from your parents, BUT the most important gift a parent can give their kid is INDEPENDACE and not sheltering them!

Just to add....."bad area" doesn't nessarily mean if you wander in, you'll get shot and killed by gangs. Matter of fact, I think unless you're buying drugs or in a gang dangerous areas can be OK.....It's not like it's Beruit or Iraq or whatever. But yeah....always be with someone in those types of neighborhoods...especially if there are high numbers of drug addicts.....
And I agree with you coolgirlspyer. TELL your parents that you want to have an AMAZING college experiance. with other deaf kids. The Deaf college experiance is NOT gonna be found at a hearing school with a handful of dhh UGs. It is SO worth it.....especially with networking for jobs later on. Yes, Gally is far away from your parents, BUT the most important gift a parent can give their kid is INDEPENDACE and not sheltering them!

When my parent's say "bad area" they mean like stealing, getting beat up, or something like that. I'm just guessing that's what they're picturing. I haven't talked to VR, I've been so busy with band lately, and I haven't had a chance to really talk about it with my parents. Plus the VR thing...I don't think they are willing to go for that. Don't we have to pay for VR after they pay for everything? Like student loans?

When my parent's say "bad area" they mean like stealing, getting beat up, or something like that. I'm just guessing that's what they're picturing.
that kind of thing happens in just about all campuses anyway. most of times... it's because they lack common sense and they put themselves in such foolish position.

I haven't talked to VR, I've been so busy with band lately, and I haven't had a chance to really talk about it with my parents. Plus the VR thing...I don't think they are willing to go for that. Don't we have to pay for VR after they pay for everything? Like student loans?
no. it comes from our taxes anyway and we as a nation have a social responsibility to help others.

that kind of thing happens in just about all campuses anyway. most of times... it's because they lack common sense and they put themselves in such foolish position.

no. it comes from our taxes anyway and we as a nation have a social responsibility to help others.

oh okay, that makes sense now. :D

:ty:

I had DVR assistance and no, we didn't have to pay it back-

:wave:good luck with your college planning, coolgirlspyer!

coolgirlspyer90,

I have been in your shoes and I finally convinced my parents about this situation. However, I live in NY. Anyway, what I did was research before I mentioned anything and just apply to see where your chances are. Your chances of being accepted is varied. You'd never know based on your background.
Once I gotten accepted to Gallaudet University. That's where the trouble begins and I did everything myself. I gather all the calculator, figure out all my math, and use resources available online. I gather facts, information, and made sure I was prepared to talk with my parents.

Now, take one question at a time and answer calmly. Tell them to treat you like an adult.

Questions :

Why do you not approve Gallaudet University, mom/dad? - Wait and hear them out first. Just give them time to explain. If they chose not to, respect that.

Why are you so worried about me going to Gallaudet? - If they say the same thing, then remind them that there are people like you going through the same thing everyday. Or, that the fact you want to become more independent and stop being all.

Is it the fact we can't afford Gallaudet University? - If that is the issues, tell them there are ways to earn scholarships and get help to pay for it. If you are part of VESID, they should be able to help you out. Take advantage of that offer may ease stress on all of that.

What's wrong where Gallaudet University is? - If they feel that it is because it's not a safe place for you and all, tell them that you will not be alone when you will be around with new friends. That you finally feel where you belong. Just don't push it to mention about the crimes fact or anything. That's a big major line cross.

Telling them that you want to be independent and finally feel wanted in conversations for change will help you. Plus, the availability that Gallaudet can provide just for you! Say, the usual IEP you are used to. You can continue that with your choice that you believe will help you survive. Gallaudet also provides JumpStart Program for a beginner Signer and give all new signers an idea what to expect.

Lastly, tell them to give you at least one year and work it out. If everything seems to go as plan for one year to prove that you can be independent, responsible, careful, and staying on top of things that will give your parents trust to make things possible.

So, get your high school guidance counselor and talk to them about it. He/She will help you on every step of the way! They can provide a fee wavier and everything. Just read what you need on your application - which you can print it up right on their site - and gather all the information you need! So, go for it. The only one is truly stopping you is yourself. As they all say, "Nothing adventure, nothing gained."

Just talk to your parents little by little and work it out that will be the best for the both of you. :)

Yeah, you might be far from home, but lots of students are too! You won't be alone if you get homesick. Plus you can always Skype, VP, send mail, etc. It's a bad neighborhood, but as long as you aren't out by yourself wandering the bad area at night, you'll be fine. Basically you just need to have some common sense and be aware of your surroundings. That's the same with ANY other big city--not just DC.

The tuition is expensive, but not more than many schools I was accepted to. It's not as expensive as an Ivy League or something. Someone already told you about VR, and that's something that'll help to pay whatever college you choose to go to. If you qualify for it, they pay for SO much. If not, then I'd just cross your fingers for scholarships. Gallaudet has many scholarships that'll pay for a good chunk of your tuition if your GPA and everything is satisfactory. Dorms aren't that bad. I wouldn't even concern myself with that at all, it's just part of the college experience.

If you do apply to Gallaudet, just letting you know that if you apply early in the fall, it's FREE TO APPLY if you're deaf. So you could always see if you get a scholarship or something before you talk to your parents about it again.

As far as talking...There's TONS of oral/mainstreamed students at Gallaudet. You won't miss talking, because when you go to the store, to the mall, or whatever, hearing people are everywhere for you to talk to. :P I'm sure hearing students wouldn't mind talking to you if you asked, but because Gally IS a deaf campus, you have to sign at all times. If you're in your dorm and your roommate talks too, then obviously that doesn't matter. Talk away.

The decision is yours in the end, but don't do anything you'll regret later on. Choose what makes YOU happy.

Fat chance of that happening. They'll want anyone to go to a public university over private school--even the private school gives better education, network, resources, etc than the public school. I'm talking about non-RIT, non-Galludet private schools that are creme de la creme.

Fat chance of that happening. They'll want anyone to go to a public university over private school--even the private school gives better education, network, resources, etc than the public school. I'm talking about non-RIT, non-Galludet private schools that are creme de la creme.

it's a state agency with limited budget. it's understandable that they prefer people to go to public school than private school because it's taxpayer's money they're using.

It's sad that they do this because they feel the likelihood of deaf student finishing private school is lower than those who goes to state school... and that's a lot of money wasted.

1 private school tuition is equivalent to about 10 community college tuitions... just a thought.

it's a state agency with limited budget. it's understandable that they prefer people to go to public school than private school because it's taxpayer's money they're using.

It's sad that they do this because they feel the likelihood of deaf student finishing private school is lower than those who goes to state school... and that's a lot of money wasted.

1 private school tuition is equivalent to about 10 community college tuitions... just a thought.

Agreed. It's still sad that they do that--not much faith in deaf students nowadays. They should take a more holistic approach rather than just telling me to go to a public or community college (the MA VR people actually did that!)

When I become rich and powerful, I'll start a foundation where highly qualified deaf students can go to any university of their choosing without the financial pressure (especially when attending good private colleges, and my soon-to-be alma mater!). Or donate millions of dollars to my university to create scholarship awards specifically for the deaf/disabled students. :)

Agreed. It's still sad that they do that--not much faith in deaf students nowadays. They should take a more holistic approach rather than just telling me to go to a public or community college (the MA VR people actually did that!)

When I become rich and powerful, I'll start a foundation where highly qualified deaf students can go to any university of their choosing without the financial pressure (especially when attending good private colleges, and my soon-to-be alma mater!). Or donate millions of dollars to my university to create scholarship awards specifically for the deaf/disabled students. :)

you could do that... or you can simply hire them :)

you could do that... or you can simply hire them :)

Good suggestion ;) Perhaps I should hire you as my bouncer with that nasty/witty/sarcastic mouth of yours who can tell off anyone nasty who come too close to me :P

Back