Sleight of Hand

I'm not sure because I don't remember one like this but is it, "Don't let that knowledge grind you down, or into the ground."?

Terrific! You got all but one word. "Knowledge" is not the word. Latin for the word you want is "illigitimus." Say it to yourself.

ASL for that word is the B hand to the upper "male" half of the face. If you put the same sign to lower "female" half of the face, it says "bitch."

Ha ha ha, did you learn more sign than you really wanted today?

Terrific! You got all but one word. "Knowledge" is not the word. Latin for the word you want is "illigitimus." Say it to yourself.

ASL for that word is the B hand to the upper "male" half of the face. If you put the same sign to lower "female" half of the face, it says "bitch."

Ha ha ha, did you learn more sign than you really wanted today?

hahaha are we discussing a person of dubious conception? hahaha

hahaha are we discussing a person of dubious conception? hahaha

Is it... "Don't let the bastard grind you down?" I've never heard it before but your latin clues assisted my sleuthing. Can we say, "elementary my dear watson"? Sure I knew we could! :giggle:

Is it... "Don't let the bastard grind you down?" I've never heard it before but your latin clues assisted my sleuthing. Can we say, "elementary my dear watson"? Sure I knew we could! :giggle:

Y hand shape back and forth in front of your body palm down
Next sign twenty but meaning small winged animal
Next sign flat O hand shape in front of mouth repeated tapping motion on mouth with this shape

Meaning: not consuming enough nourishment for health purposes

Now while we are awaiting for some brave soul to try and figure out the English Idiom, I am going to attempt to put all you LURKERS, (you know who you are!) that aren't participating, to SHAME!:whip: Yes I am going to attempt to describe an ASL idiom! It will be like watching a high diver into a cup of water with no safety net! I, fredfam1 am going to venture into the world of Deaf Idioms, bearing in mind, I never even knew there were Deaf people until I got to college! So prepare to watch an amazing, death defying attempt!......:fingersx:

ASL IDIOM: lightly tap third finger of each hand together, palms facing toward each other in a repeated motion, with eyebrows raised and leaning slightly forward.

Meaning: Let's not allow ourselves to loose contact with each other.

Y hand shape back and forth in front of your body palm down
Next sign twenty but meaning small winged animal
Next sign flat O hand shape in front of mouth repeated tapping motion on mouth with this shape

Meaning: not consuming enough nourishment for health purposes

I can make out "bird" and "eat," but no sign I understand for "like." However, I'm going to guess "Eat like a bird."

Now while we are awaiting for some brave soul to try and figure out the English Idiom, I am going to attempt to put all you LURKERS, (you know who you are!) that aren't participating, to SHAME!:whip: Yes I am going to attempt to describe an ASL idiom! It will be like watching a high diver into a cup of water with no safety net! I, fredfam1 am going to venture into the world of Deaf Idioms, bearing in mind, I never even knew there were Deaf people until I got to college! So prepare to watch an amazing, death defying attempt!......:fingersx:

ASL IDIOM: lightly tap third finger of each hand together, palms facing toward each other in a repeated motion, with eyebrows raised and leaning slightly forward.

Meaning: Let's not allow ourselves to loose contact with each other.

Common! Somebody must know this idiom! I looked it up on an ASL Idiom of the Week Web site! Somebody give it a try!:fingersx::dance2::D:whistle::run:

You got it. Did I not describe "same as" correctly? How should it be done?

I'm certainly no authority on most-correct ASL signs. I learn them from my know-it-all sister, but I do know ASL is similar to English in that the same word may be expressed in different ways.

She tells me "like" is signed by placing all the fingers on your chest and drawing them away to touch the thumb and forefinger together, as in the F hand. It can also mean "same."

The sign for "same" and "same as" she taught me is bringing both index fingers together pointing away from you. It's also "also," "too," and "like."

However I'm sure the sign you learned is also a good one--I just don't know enough ASL signers to have seen it before.

The next two-word idiom means to take everything:

1. The down-turned right hand wipes everything off the upturned left hand.

2. Both hands grasp and pretend to use a broom.

I'm certainly no authority on most-correct ASL signs. I learn them from my know-it-all sister, but I do know ASL is similar to English in that the same word may be expressed in different ways.

She tells me "like" is signed by placing all the fingers on your chest and drawing them away to touch the thumb and forefinger together, as in the F hand. It can also mean "same."

The sign for "same" and "same as" she taught me is bringing both index fingers together pointing away from you. It's also "also," "too," and "like."
I don't want to "off-topic" into an ASL lesson, and maybe your sign is a regional difference but here's the scoop on "LIKE".

1. placing all the fingers on your chest and drawing them away to touch the thumb and forefinger together, as in the F hand.
That is the sign for the feeling "like", as in "I like that dress" or "I like my teacher." The "8" hand shape or modified open "8" hand shapes are often used for "feelings" signs, such as "EXCITED", "HATE", "FEELING", "SENSITIVE".

2. bringing both index fingers together pointing away from you.
Yes, that means "like" when the meaning is "same as", such as "That car looks like mine" or "She sings like an angel." The sign shows two things matching each other, as the left index finger "matches" the right index finger.

3. using the "Y" hand shape directionally indicating two people or objects are similar; the thumb of the "Y" points to person A, then the pinkie of the "Y" points to person B, back and forth a couple times.
That indicates "me too", sameness or agreement. "You were born in Georgia? Me, too!" "Sue, Ann, you're wearing identical sweaters!" "Those two vases on the shelf look the same to me." "Do you think this is a boring class? Yeah, me, too."

Common! Somebody must know this idiom! I looked it up on an ASL Idiom of the Week Web site! Somebody give it a try!:fingersx::dance2::D:whistle::run:

For sake of learning: I am going to give the answer to this ASL idiom and I need some one to tell me if they recognized it and were to shy to say so or if it was unrecognizable. Pretty please?!

It is supposed to say: Let's Keep In Touch as: I'm going to school next fall but let's be sure to keep in touch!

Did any one recognize it? Or did I not give clear enough instructions?

Reba,

I can't speak for Cathe, but I don't think you're off-topic a bit.

I play this game to practice my signs (which I have to do several times when writing them out) and to learn new and different signs. Thanks to you, I did just that.

And "clean sweep" is correct. You win all the marbles.

Good morning. Here's some sleight of hand to start the day:

This three-word idiom is an answer to an unreasonable request. It means “No way!” or “You’re seriously deluded!”

1. The tips of all fingers and thumb of the right hand are fit into the O-shaped left hand.

2. Point to the person who made the preposterous suggestion.

3. The right index finger touches the forehead, then rapidly closes to the X sign and opens again, repeating several times as it rises above the head.

Reba,

I play this game to practice my signs (which I have to do several times when writing them out) and to learn new and different signs. Thanks to you, I did just that.

Since people spend MY whole life trying to get ME back on topic, I wouldn't even know if we were off.:giggle:

lol Fredfram I am the worst one to ask! Although I can sign pretty well I sign SEE more than I do ASL.

I can read ASL but signing it is a different matter. I grew up hearing so I tend to sign SEE due to that fact.

Reba,

All I can see is: In you understand. Did you mean to sign out and perhaps intend to sign: Are you Out of your mind? If that is correct I would add, "raised eyebrows" so we know its a yes/no question, (of course some people could take all day and never answer that). And if you needed to sign out, I would say, "remove" before the rest of what you had already said. ????

Back