Sleep Disorders

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some ADers had problem with insomina.

About 70% of Americans have sleep problems.

Food and Sleep: How to Do It Right
If you can’t get to -- or stay -- asleep, there may be a food connection. Try these tips:

Don’t eat a heavy meal within four hours of going to bed.
Don’t eat or drink anything that has caffeine after noon.
Do eat a small snack if you wake up hungry, but don’t get into the habit of eating too much, as you may gain weight.
Do avoid eating a lot of protein, but a small piece of cheese or a dab of peanut butter with your crackers is OK.

My son has lack of sleeping or over sleeping since high school. His weight was 250 lbs and height 6' 1"

Sometime, he did not go bed for over 30 hours. Many time, I yelled at him. He did poor grade in high school.

Right now, he is 4th year college student. Still same bad habit no bedtime for two day. His height is 6' 3" and weight 190. He is more happy at college life. Also. he earned honor student and dean list.

He has two different majors in Physics and Economic Sciences (similar to movie Beautiful Mind - John Nash). Plus work with college football for all year and stage manager at theater. Also, he has good time to play video game tournment, flag football, soccer, bowling, out to see movie, travel with football team, good time snowboard at Verment, etc...

I wonder how much time for his homework (two different majors) & work with team and stage crew (mgr) at theater. His GPA still above from 3.5. Recently, I talked him about next Master degree. He said master or PhD degree good for what?

Nothing I can solve his problem with disorder sleeping. Many times, I try to explain him - most important to have good sleep. He did not follow us what we try to explain. He will won't listen anyone.

drink anything that has caffeine after noon.

One thing, I drink diet soda or seltzer "water soda" help me reduce headache.
No problem for me to sleeping with high caffeine from ice cream with top of crushed imported coffee beans and drink seltzer. Many times, I got in bed and watch TV for few minutes then fall asleep.

Most important for me to feel better than headache or no energy or else what.

I have had insomnia problems for the last 6 years... some suggestions that have worked for me include that if you cannot fall asleep within a half hour of laying down and get restless, get up. Do NOT read or watch tv, it stimulates the mind and the light can stop release of melatonin, the body's sleep hormone. Instead walk around your home a bit or just sit... I sit in the dark living room and pet my kitty. It makes me quite sleepy after a bit.

Setting a wake up time that is consistent everyday, including weekends, is supposed to help. I do not do this. I keep being told this will help.

Bed time rituals help to, start them at the same time every night but do not force yourself to sleep. If you cannot sleep follow suggestions above...

This has helped me a great deal. I've begun cutting the pills I am given and am doing fine on half a dosage. I also find that a nice scented body wash or shampoo for a warm shower before bed helps. But I know showers wake up some people.

Darkage - My home remedy for a headache is tea tree oil. Just a tiny amount on the finger dab onto the temples, just at the hairline. beware of eyes as its a strong thing. For tension headaches I lay down, use a sleep mask to hide from the light and a heating pad at my neck to relax any muscles that may cause the headache.

i am insomniac since teenager i do not eat lot and i do not drink much coffee
i guess maybe it is part of depression and anxiety i have.

Dbarovian, thanks for the really good advice. I'm having temporary sleep problems due to worry over an upcoming cataract operation. I realize worry is fruitless, but I still can't sleep, and have also gained some pounds due to over-eating.

In addition to your good advice is to engage in physical labor, such as yard work or take walks. Mild fatigue can help.

Ha ha ha, my doctor recommended the same thing you do, but charged me big time.

Thanks for advise- I have insomnia since young child. I think my circadian rythm is just FUBAR. I used to stay up all night when I was 6-7 yrs old when my mother was in nursing school and stay up to study. What was she thinking...Im maimed for life. :giggle: I further enhance insomnia by working graveyards, and of course screwin around on AD at night. One option also is that pharmacies sell pure melatonin OTC and take at night a couple hrs before bed is very effective for a lot of people. Plus it is more "natural"

Some ADers had problem with insomina.

About 70% of Americans have sleep problems.

Food and Sleep: How to Do It Right
If you can’t get to -- or stay -- asleep, there may be a food connection. Try these tips:

Don’t eat a heavy meal within four hours of going to bed.
Don’t eat or drink anything that has caffeine after noon.
Do eat a small snack if you wake up hungry, but don’t get into the habit of eating too much, as you may gain weight.
Do avoid eating a lot of protein, but a small piece of cheese or a dab of peanut butter with your crackers is OK.

ahh, that's interesting.. My ex told me that He couldnt sleep unless he touch or hold me..

I'm fine with that..

Mod's note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

Zack, since you said you needed beauty sleep - I agree with you, this morning, my boss said the same thing! :rofl:

Back