Skyscrapers in other countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I went to google some images, and I saw some redevelopment plans costing $7 billion in budget

Wow, pretty pricy. Poor New Orleans..

I was off-topic for a bit about Africa's economy to construct skyscrapers. I didn't want to get off topic that discuss about Africa's economy. That's why I said let's get back to topic.

Same here! I hope this trend will last for really long time like decades from now. We will see about that.

Actually We do have a several US cities with many empty skyscrapers... Buffalo, New York; Detroit, Michigan; St. Louis, Missouri; Los Angeles, California; Spokane, Washington.

Buffalo, New York has many abandoned skyscrapers. Right now Buffalo is rebounding but it will take a while to return to normal level again.

Detriot, Michigan which is known as automobile city that manufacture automobiles for decades. Many companies left or went bankrupted. That is why Detroit got many abandoned skyscrapers. Recently, Detroit just started to rebound and filling up the abandoned skyscrapers slowly. Detriot should return to normal level within two or three decades from now.

St. Louis, Missouri struggled with its economy system that caused many companies to leave town or bankrupted. St. Louis is losing its population to the suburbs or different cities. Right now the City of St. Louis is trying to rebound with its economy system so it should fill up these empty skyscrapers within a decade or so.

Los Angeles, California is losing many companies by very high business tax and business-unfriendly environment. Many companies relocated to many cities like Seattle, Portland, Bend, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Scotdale, etc. Every year Los Angeles skyscrapers are getting empty and emptier.

Spokane, Washington got almost died downtown area with completely empty skyscrapers. About all companies left downtown Spokane to the suburbs. Right now, City of Spokane are trying to lure the companies to move back to city center.

Have you forgot to mention about some business are relocate to Inland Empire, including in Riverside and San Bernardino.

Only boom of skyscrapers in LA are mainly from residential and small amount of commerical (such as retail), have you notice? Not many as in 80's.

Does New Orleans consider a ghost city now?

lol no, they are redeveloping that city now. Ghost Town is like this.

silvercityid09.jpg

Also in the video game, Silent Hill is another example of Ghost Town.

New Orleans isn't ghost town, there's some poor side of NO and not considered as ghost town but rather to call ghetto.

Chernobyl area is good example of big ghost town, it has been for 20 years after nuclear accident and about several years before soviet union are gone, including with Prypiat.

Chernobyl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prypiat, Ukraine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

prypiat-4.jpg

060426_f1.jpg

elena_image22.jpg

01-Ville%20de%20Prypiat.jpg

0,1020,607404,00.jpg

Great find, Pacman! That's a good example of a ghost town with towers. They don't seem to be tall buildings, I think they're classified as lowrises/midrises. It sure looks dead.

Yeah, I know. Someone can blame mother nature, but who knows?

Yupp who knows..

New Orleans isn't ghost town, there's some poor side of NO and not considered as ghost town but rather to call ghetto.

Chernobyl area is good example of big ghost town, it has been for 20 years after nuclear accident and about several years before soviet union are gone, including with Prypiat.

Chernobyl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prypiat, Ukraine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

prypiat-4.jpg

060426_f1.jpg

elena_image22.jpg

01-Ville%20de%20Prypiat.jpg

0,1020,607404,00.jpg

Wow, very interesting!! Agree with Sequoias, this city seems very DEAD.

Yupp who knows..

Wow, very interesting!! Agree with Sequoias, this city seems very DEAD.

Wanna go to Chernobyl in 1979? Beware of soviet union and city was alive at once.

I found old pic of Chernobyl metro when before nuclear accident happens.
red_bikers.jpeg

mapoftown.jpeg

central_street.jpeg

Last edited:
I just looked it up and the Koryo hotel is in North Korea. Man, North Korea has some horribly ugly hotels. It's like all the good architects managed to escape to the south:

298010636_0239e2be49_b.jpg

YAY! Look forward to these.. ;)

Sorry for took me a while to post the pictures here.

Here you go!

Buffalo, New York. You can see some empty skyscrapers there.
buffalopic.jpg

Detriot, Michigan. Abandoned train station/office building (City of Detriot is planning to restore it within a several years from now)
02.jpg

Renaissance Center when it got built in the 70s it was for luxury hotels and offices. It became abandoned for a while until General Motor (GM) bought it and relocate their headquarters there.
250px-GM_headquarters_in_Detroit.jpg

You can see some abandoned skyscrapers in downtown Detroit. Some of them are underway of restoration and will turn into condo buildings.
skyline.gif

St. Louis, Missouri. You can see some empty skyscrapers that don't light up at night time.
21150803_9b08186ba4.jpg

Spokane, Washington. I went there few years ago and almost no skyscraper were leased or light up at night time. It is just dead downtown area except new shopping mall that just opened there.
spokane-skyline.jpg

Los Angeles. You can see the difference between 1992 to present day.

1992 when downtown Los Angeles skyscrapers were almost 100% leased out and almost full of lights at night time.
060310-171.jpg

Los Angeles of today. Los Angeles skyscrapers are getting dark and darker because of number of companies already left.
LosAngelesByNight.jpg

Have you forgot to mention about some business are relocate to Inland Empire, including in Riverside and San Bernardino.

Yes and they left again because of high business tax.

Only boom of skyscrapers in LA are mainly from residential and small amount of commerical (such as retail), have you notice? Not many as in 80's.

Right on! City of Los Angeles is trying to lure residents to move back in the city and trying to re-boost its economy. It is seen like so many business that located in Los Angeles are mostly related to locals like pop & mom businesses instead middle to large size companies.

I will fly to Los Angeles this Wednesday and I will check if they're improving or getting worse.

^^^, wow thanks for sharing about the empty skyscrapers in the cities around the world. :) I didn't know that. haha

Sorry for took me a while to post the pictures here.

Here you go!

Detriot, Michigan. Abandoned train station/office building (City of Detriot is planning to restore it within a several years from now)
02.jpg

I found out that one building from picture, it's abandoned since 1988, that very long years ago.

These pictures you showed us looked fantastic, I liked the picture of the 1992 los angeles, and these car lights zooming past, I always wanted to try that with my new camera and I failed. >_< Sorry to go off topic.

Is there anywhere else, similar to USA in different countries?

And also, Pacman, these pictures you provided, seems so dead as I have to agree with others. ;)

These pictures you showed us looked fantastic, I liked the picture of the 1992 los angeles, and these car lights zooming past, I always wanted to try that with my new camera and I failed. >_< Sorry to go off topic.

Is there anywhere else, similar to USA in different countries?

And also, Pacman, these pictures you provided, seems so dead as I have to agree with others. ;)

What do you mean? Every major US city in USA is completely different! :)

What do you mean? Every major US city in USA is completely different! :)

I mean, for other countries, besides than USA, have the similaries like these? Russia? England? Europe? Etc...Does that make sense?

I mean, for other countries, besides than USA, have the similaries like these? Russia? England? Europe? Etc...Does that make sense?

Yeah. Only that I know of USA got similar skylines in Canada, Austraila, New Zealand, and Germany. Many countries around the world got many skylines too but got different layouts than compared to these countries I listed.

Yes as MetroGuy03 said above, but some of them are different because of their own geography, culture, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back