Signatures?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
Signatures? (Posts Allowed)

I'm starting to notice that more and more members are using bigger and bigger images in their signatures. I'm going to have to start enforcing the rules and guidelines as stated in Forum Rules

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=95
3.) Participants using images as signatures and/or avatars are to use JPG or GIF format only. Only 1 image is allowed per signature, and must be 50KB or less in file size.

4.) Participants may not scroll unnecessarily. Scrolling can refer to the following:

a.) Excessive quoting
b.) Excessive smilies, pictures
c.) Marquee images, text (scrolling horizontally)
d.) Anything that is repetitious
I am going to be going through signatures and removing them if they are TOO big and contacting various members as well. If you see that your signature has been changed or removed, contact me through PM. If you see someone else's signature that I may have overlooked, feel free to contact me through PM.

The reason for this is so that the website can be easily accessible for our visitors and members. When signatures and images are too big, it makes the webpages more difficult to load and this isn't good for some of our members. Thanks for your time and understanding.

How do u know?

How do I know how big is my signature? I tried to check mine but still not sure if it's 50K or less.

Lnanaa said:
How do I know how big is my signature? I tried to check mine but still not sure if it's 50K or less.
I don't think it would be a problem. Just by looking at it, I would say that it's only 10 KB or so.

I will be enforcing these soon. Right now, I'll start with those that are too big. Later, it'll be whenever I see them.

For those of you who are using blinkies, it does get annoying when there's a bunch of them on the screen at once. My best suggestion is to have them shown randomly. If you already have a web server for your images, let me know. I'd gladly create a small randomizer file for you to use for your images. That small file will be on my server, but it will show your images randomly. Let me know if you need help with that. (Of course, thanks to Deaf258 for the randomizer information. :thumb: )

For those who have multiple images and want them to be put into one banner, let me know and I'd gladly help you out with that.

If any of you need help with any of your signatures, please PM me and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks and have a nice day. :thumb:

Blinkies are smaller than any other signature images and I would like to know why we are not allow to have more than 2?...

^Angel^ said:
Blinkies are smaller than any other signature images and I would like to know why we are not allow to have more than 2?...
Blinkies are animated and having a bunch of animated images on the same page can cause the page to lag at times for some users. There are some people who have too much animation on their websites because they think it looks cool... but it becomes a pain in the ass because I can't view it well or it's annoying. Secondly, if we bent the rules for one thing... we would have to bend the rules for other things and we can't have that happening, can we?

That's why I recommended using the randomizer for your images. Here's your randomized image:

signature.gif

This is an example of what a typical user can see on his or her computer set at 800 x 600 pixels...

Attachments

• sample.JPG
    sample.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1
Since a good user-friendly website needs to be under 800 x 600 pixels, we should follow that standard if we are going to be user-friendly to our members. The margins on the left and right are 10 pixels each, making 20 pixels. The members display on the left is 187 pixels. The margins for each post/signature is 6 pixels on the left and right, making 12 pixels. The tiny border surrounding each full post is 1 pixels around the edge, making 2 pixels. That's a total of 221 pixels that's already being used. Let's not forget the scroll bar on the right. That's 15 pixels wide. There's also the window borders. That's 2 pixels on each side. The grand total is 240. That leaves 560 pixels remaining for us to use. That's why it's best to have your signature images less than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels high. If you wanted to add text, then the signature image should be smaller to make up for the extra space made by the text.

The reason for this is because I've noticed a growing number of signatures getting bigger and bigger. Some members have signatures that are a total of 500 to 600 pixels high. That's a whole page! If that member were to make 8 posts on the same page, that would mean that we have to scroll down 10 times more just because of one member. Since we have to scroll a lot because of one member's signature, that is considered "scrolling" which is against AllDeaf rules. That's why I am going to try enforcing this rule so that it's fair with everyone.

If anyone has problems with their signatures, please let me know... I'd gladly help you by reducing the size, figuring out how to make it easier, or by creating a randomizer file for your images so that you can gladly show more than one different image at different times. :thumb:

For those of you who are interested in trying to create your own randomizer file...
VamPyroX said:
Create a text file and type in the following:
Code:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .gif
Rename that text file as:
Code:
.htaccess
Create another text file and type in the following:
Code:
<?php

$URL1="signature_01.gif";
$URL2="signature_02.gif";
$URL3="signature_03.gif";
$URL4="signature_04.gif";

srand((double) microtime() * 1000);
$random = rand(1,4);

if($random == 1)
@header ("Location: $URL1");
elseif ($random == 2)
@header ("Location: $URL2");
elseif ($random == 3)
@header ("Location: $URL3");
elseif ($random == 4)
@header ("Location: $URL4");

?>
The first section is for listing all images. The second part "rand(1,4)" is to match the number of images. For 6 images, replace "4" with "6". For the last section, add another "elseif" statements for additional images. After that's done, rename that text file to anything you want but with ".gif" at the end. For me, I usually change it to "signature.gif" and have all the other image files in the same directory as the randomizer file. :thumb:

Most operating systems won't allow files to be renamed like that so you may have to do it after uploading it online. :type:

Aha! I changed the setting much improved for signature.. check on my siggy does looks good?

PowerWCRulez said:
Aha! I changed the setting much improved for signature.. check on my siggy does looks good?
I check that link power.....i had to pay for it to have that box put up for my website. I wanted to find something that is free that doesnt cost too much.

prostock19 said:
I want my train to move across the bottom of the screen :ugh:
Did you read the rules?
4.) Participants may not scroll unnecessarily. Scrolling can refer to the following:

a.) Excessive quoting
b.) Excessive smilies, pictures
c.) Marquee images, text (scrolling horizontally)
d.) Anything that is repetitious
That's the problem.

Secondly, there's another rule:
3.) Participants using images as signatures and/or avatars are to use JPG or GIF format only. Only 1 image is allowed per signature, and must be 50KB or less in file size.
You've got 8 images.

Back