Sign Language

Originally posted by illustrator
Where or when did you learn how to use sign language?

Mostly my Ex and friends. I did get some lessons with Ally's mom. I really do want to take classes so I can learn the correct ASL structure. Right now, I basically learn words and put it together like I would say it in English.

I learned sign language at age 3, enrolled deaf school in St. Louis, MO. Im only deaf in my family. My mother had german measles while pregnant with me that caused my deafness. :D

And I use PSE. ;)

Whoever sign in ENGLISH *thudding* Oh help me, I cant stand to watch someone who sign in FULL SENTENCES! :zzz:

:laugh2:

I use PSE mostly, but when it comes to talking to someone with not of high skills of english communication i would sign to thier level of understanding. sometimes i confuse poeple. cuz i would be stuck on the same level forgetting to change my pace..... oops !

i signed before spoken language -- was taught SEE first -- my first words i signed were "picture" and "cookie" go figure -- til i was age 8 went to MarylandSD and picked up ASL from there (actually had started prior to that at Deaf camp where i went to that had alot of MarylandSD kids i knew) and since then i sign PSE --

on rare occasions when im PLAYFUL ill sign SEE just to get friends to :roll: at me LOLOLOL

my mom and sister are pretty good at going from SEE to PSE -- they still sign SEE once in a while :roll: the FUNNIEST was how my sister signed "rainbow" last Dec using the "r" and make it like an arch as in rainbow me *thud* -- told her :nono: its this with 4 fingers spread out and made out as arch -- i was :laugh2: at my sister

Originally posted by Fly Free
i signed before spoken language -- was taught SEE first -- my first words i signed were "picture" and "cookie" go figure -- til i was age 8 went to MarylandSD and picked up ASL from there (actually had started prior to that at Deaf camp where i went to that had alot of MarylandSD kids i knew) and since then i sign PSE --

on rare occasions when im PLAYFUL ill sign SEE just to get friends to :roll: at me LOLOLOL

my mom and sister are pretty good at going from SEE to PSE -- they still sign SEE once in a while :roll: the FUNNIEST was how my sister signed "rainbow" last Dec using the "r" and make it like an arch as in rainbow me *thud* -- told her :nono: its this with 4 fingers spread out and made out as arch -- i was :laugh2: at my sister
I remmied that story and my mom used gas in the wrong way she used it as shit! LOLOL!

Originally posted by ~Heather~
And I use PSE. ;)

Whoever sign in ENGLISH *thudding* Oh help me, I cant stand to watch someone who sign in FULL SENTENCES! :zzz:

:laugh2:
Sorry if I do that. I still haven't learned ASL structure yet. Because I am hearing, I put it together like it I was speaking it. At least I am giving it my best effort. If I didn't work 60 to 80+ hours a week, maybe I would have time to go to school and take ASL classes. But for now, I get by very well with what lil sign I know.

Originally posted by prostock19
Sorry if I do that. I still haven't learned ASL structure yet. Because I am hearing, I put it together like it I was speaking it. At least I am giving it my best effort. If I didn't work 60 to 80+ hours a week, maybe I would have time to go to school and take ASL classes. But for now, I get by very well with what lil sign I know.

at least ur making an effort, and that shows ur a supporter thanks prostock :)

Sign language has been strictly forbidden in my school. My classmates and I used make up signs for each other. If I get caught by the teacher, I would get spanked!! Mean teachers!!

Originally posted by javapride
at least ur making an effort, and that shows ur a supporter thanks prostock :)
You're welcome. I do my best to support Deaf. Ask Allisonjoy or T E D D Y.

Grew up oral and learned ASL when I started college by taking a class and socializing with other Deafies. I pissed off my ASL teacher because I keep learning new signs and used them in class!! LOL!

Originally posted by Deaf258
Grew up oral and learned ASL when I started college by taking a class and socializing with other Deafies. I pissed off my ASL teacher because I keep learning new signs and used them in class!! LOL!

LOL !!! yeahhh same

I'm still learning...my wife and I have been studying sign for at least a couple of years now. We think that the place we started out learning to sign was teaching us PSE, but now we take lessons from a fellow who is an interpreter and very gung-ho about teaching ASL and ASL grammar--which is just the way we want it.

After all, when I went to a class to learn Spanish, the teacher didn't give me Spanish words in English order--I got honest-to-goodness grammatically correct Spanish sentences. They may have been really easy Spanish sentences at first, but they were grammatical; a native speaker would, in the right circumstances, utter any of them and not be laughed at for bad grammar. We wish we'd been taught ASL from the start.

I'm looking forward to the next lesson, because the instructor gave us some questions to try to render in ASL that seem to me to require things we haven't yet learned, so we will be asking lots of questions and, I hope, learning quite a bit. (My questions have to do with how to express chained possessive relationships (e.g. "My father's lawyer's friend's dog has fleas") and how to talk about propositions (e.g. "Joe thinks that unicorns are eating his tomatoes").)

I was learning all my life since I got out of my womb.

but my parents are not deaf. My parents put me in a mainstreaming when I was 2 years old til 6 years old. I got in ISD around 6 years old. So, I am signing in asl all my life.

:D

I like to see someone who use sign language and voice in same time, so I can understand better. :o

Okay, I don't hear anything but hint by catch their lip while they sign which help alot to me. that's all...

Back