sign language versus ear implants

I think that Hard of Hearing means that you may be able to understand over the phone with the special volume and speak into the phone. If you can not understand what the person say on the phone then you are deaf, not hard of hearing. I learned from someone from the past about that. I am deaf so I need to rely on my tty to communicate with the relay operator to the hearing person. I also use my tty to communicate with deaf people or someone who has a tty. Like for example the audiologist does not want to use the tty to call deaf or hard of hearing persons to make appointment or to remind us to come for the appointment,etc. He or she does not like the tty, period. I have to call my relay operator to call the audiologist. Is that ridiculous. :laugh2:
wow!! Then why does they have TTY first place huh?? What an idiot they are!!

Exactly. And far too often literacy and true language fluency, as well as other educational and social aspects are sacrificed for good speech skills. What good is being able to talk well, if one hasn't been educated to the point that one has anything to say?

Yes, who would want a "parrot"?

And, cloggy, if the assumption that hearing and speaking is better than deafness is not present, I will ask again, why implant?

I think you meant to say "turn people away." Have you read the "Do I understand?" thread lately? Doesn't appear that I turn away the people I serve. As for the hearing persons who disagree.......oh, well.

Beautiful!!! Therefore, if one has his/her child implanted, I can assume that he/she thinks hearing/speaking is better than deafness!

And, cloggy, if the assumption that hearing and speaking is better than deafness is not present, I will ask again, why implant?
Communication. Not just with the parents (that have learned sign) but also with the grandparents, with other family, with our friends and with the rest of the world.
Of course there is the alternative that the grandparents learn sign, and all friends we have, and the rest of the world....
And then, unknown and probably unbelievable to you.... nobody here knows ASL... Isn't that amazing!!!
So, she would need to learn norwegian sign, Dutch sign, Norwegian writing, Dutch writing etc...
Sure, it can all be done...
Now, she speaks Dutch, speaks Norwegian.
In your view that terrible, but to us.. she's doing great!

I think you meant to say "turn people away." Have you read the "Do I understand?" thread lately? Doesn't appear that I turn away the people I serve. As for the hearing persons who disagree.......oh, well.
Yeh, that thread... wonderful to see how you were asking for confirmation....:ugh3:

Deaf children with CIs can benefit from ASL but too bad many people think oral-only language is what they need not both.

I agree.. I believe anyone can have both culture if she/he wish..

Communication. Not just with the parents (that have learned sign) but also with the grandparents, with other family, with our friends and with the rest of the world.
Of course there is the alternative that the grandparents learn sign, and all friends we have, and the rest of the world....
And then, unknown and probably unbelievable to you.... nobody here knows ASL... Isn't that amazing!!!
So, she would need to learn norwegian sign, Dutch sign, Norwegian writing, Dutch writing etc...
Sure, it can all be done...
Now, she speaks Dutch, speaks Norwegian.
In your view that terrible, but to us.. she's doing great!

Yeh, that thread... wonderful to see how you were asking for confirmation....:ugh3:

Can't just be communication. Communication can be achieved without an implant, as is evidenced by many deaf/Deaf who are not implanted, yet able to communciate well. Has to be mode of communication--oral. So my assertion still stands.

Can't just be communication. Communication can be achieved without an implant, as is evidenced by many deaf/Deaf who are not implanted, yet able to communciate well. Has to be mode of communication--oral. So my assertion still stands.

Deaf people can communicate - you mean - without speaking, without hearing.... WOW - that's great!! Spread the word!!
Thanks for the info Jill... I would never have guessed !!
It's so great to get that kind of information. I knew this was a great messageboard, that there would be lot's of information.
Again... thanks!

Communication. Lotte is now able to communicate with her grandparents. Her family, friends of the family, and all other people she meets in daily life.
This would not have been possible had she only been able to use sign. It might not have been to the same extend had she learned sign along with speech.

Just out of curiosity:
Your sons grandparents - did they learn sign / do they sign?
Your family - did they learn sign / do they sign?
The friends you had before your son was born - did they learn sign / do they sign?

When these people meet your son - can they communicate with him..??

Deaf people can communicate - you mean - without speaking, without hearing.... WOW - that's great!! Spread the word!!
Thanks for the info Jill... I would never have guessed !!
It's so great to get that kind of information. I knew this was a great messageboard, that there would be lot's of information.
Again... thanks!

Communication. Lotte is now able to communicate with her grandparents. Her family, friends of the family, and all other people she meets in daily life.
This would not have been possible had she only been able to use sign. It might not have been to the same extend had she learned sign along with speech.

Just out of curiosity:
Your sons grandparents - did they learn sign / do they sign?
Your family - did they learn sign / do they sign?
The friends you had before your son was born - did they learn sign / do they sign?

When these people meet your son - can they communicate with him..??

Typical of you cloggy. When it is pointed out that the purpose of the CI is not communication, you resort to attempted sarcasm rather than admitting your own agenda.

And, to answer your question, My son's grandparents, my bother, his children,a nd now their children have all learned sign, and began doing so soon after my son was diagnosed. So he has a huge network of family was that was willing to meet his needs on his terms, rathr than expecting him to meet their needs on their terms.

My son also has excellent oral skills, as I've told you any number of times. He simply prefers to use sign. So he has no communication problems whatsoever. I don't see how a CI would improve his already excellent communications skills.

I might ask the same of Lotte. With CI, is there no misunderstandings in the communication between her and extended family members and friends?

And, as it is widely accepted, and has been for years, that hte use of sign impeding speech is a myth and nothing more, how is it that she would not be able to communicate as well had she learned sign along with speech?

Typical of you cloggy. When it is pointed out that the purpose of the CI is not communication, you resort to attempted sarcasm rather than admitting your own agenda.
Admitting my own agenda.... beautiful...

And, to answer your question, My son's grandparents, my bother, his children,a nd now their children have all learned sign, and began doing so soon after my son was diagnosed. So he has a huge network of family was that was willing to meet his needs on his terms, rathr than expecting him to meet their needs on their terms.

My son also has excellent oral skills, as I've told you any number of times. He simply prefers to use sign. So he has no communication problems whatsoever. I don't see how a CI would improve his already excellent communications skills.
I'm glad he's got such a supporting family around him!

I might ask the same of Lotte. With CI, is there no misunderstandings in the communication between her and extended family members and friends?
She's 5. What do you think?

And, as it is widely accepted, and has been for years, that hte use of sign impeding speech is a myth and nothing more, how is it that she would not be able to communicate as well had she learned sign along with speech?
Ah... one of your unfounded myths....
sure Jill..

Speaking of extended family...my mom said another reason she placed my brother and I in an oral-only program so we can be able to comunicate with the whole family. Well, my brother couldn't develop oral skills so it was out of the question for him. I developed them but yet, I was contantly left out in family gatherings. So much for being able to communicate with them. The reason is that they aren't willing to make sure I understood what they were saying. They end up getting into the different coversations at once making it difficult for me to follow and they forget about my needs.

So developing oral skills for me wasn't really needed in the long run anyway. Only use them for ordering foods, getting directions, and short one-on-one conversations that never usually last more than 20 mins at a time.

With ASL, I chat away for hours and hours without any barriers.

Speaking of extended family...my mom said another reason she placed my brother and I in an oral-only program so we can be able to comunicate with the whole family. Well, my brother couldn't develop oral skills so it was out of the question for him. I developed them but yet, I was contantly left out in family gatherings. So much for being able to communicate with them. The reason is that they aren't willing to make sure I understood what they were saying. They end up getting into the different coversations at once making it difficult for me to follow and they forget about my needs.

So developing oral skills for me wasn't really needed in the long run anyway. Only use them for ordering foods, getting directions, and short one-on-one conversations that never usually last more than 20 mins at a time.

With ASL, I chat away for hours and hours without any barriers.

Same here minus a deaf brother.

My mother (RIP) won't let my family and herself to learn ASL. She wanted me to communciate with hearing people when I grew up. She became my home speech therapist, we practiced my speech and lipread for 2 hrs every day for few yrs when I was younger. Remember that, I lost my hearing when I was 2 and half yrs old. I started wearing HA at age 3. My mother let me use ASL at school and afterschool to social with deaf friends. She only knew fingerspell and numbers bec she wanted to communciate with my deaf friends.

Till now, I asked my father why didnt he learn ASL? My father told me that it was my grandmother's idea to not learn ASL. Really, it wasn't my grandmother's, it was my mom. One day, My aunt (RIP) asked me if it was alright for her to learn ASL (that was maybe 10 yrs ago). I told her no I don't want her to learn. She said "Why?" I said "bec you talking to ur friends on the phone all the time and I couldn't understand you and I don't want you to see MY conversation with my deaf friends." She laughed.

My mother (RIP) won't let my family and herself to learn ASL. She wanted me to communciate with hearing people when I grew up. She became my home speech therapist, we practiced my speech and lipread for 2 hrs every day for few yrs when I was younger. Remember that, I lost my hearing when I was 2 and half yrs old. I started wearing HA at age 3. My mother let me use ASL at school and afterschool to social with deaf friends. She only knew fingerspell and numbers bec she wanted to communciate with my deaf friends.

Till now, I asked my father why didnt he learn ASL? My father told me that it was my grandmother's idea to not learn ASL. Really, it wasn't my grandmother's, it was my mom. One day, My aunt (RIP) asked me if it was alright for her to learn ASL (that was maybe 10 yrs ago). I told her no I don't want her to learn. She said "Why?" I said "bec you talking to ur friends on the phone all the time and I couldn't understand you and I don't want you to see MY conversation with my deaf friends." She laughed.

First part, sad....second part, funny!

My question for you.. are u deaf or hearing??

lol, none of 'em. I'm in the between. I don't sound like deaf at all. u can call me deaf if u want to. I do know sign language, too. Did u read my audiogram in other thread?

HAHAHA! Funny.

HOH do have problems with understanding; just like the deaf do. And HOH do need Sign just like deaf. not all HOH understand what is going on.

I know because I lived with a HOH guy for 6 years, and I grew up with a few people who were HOH.

LoL! Tha'z flattery. u think u know more abt hoh but u're deaf how can u hear? Some of deafies think they are hoh but they don't sound like hoh. How do u know they are hoh?

Redheadgrrl, do u still wear ha all ur life? Don't u have another ha wuz wrong with other ear?

LoL! Tha'z flattery. u think u know more abt hoh but u're deaf how can u hear? Some of deafies think they are hoh but they don't sound like hoh. How do u know they are hoh?

Uh, oh! Identity crisis!

:deaf: people and hearing people!!!! We are talking about oral in the new deaf college in Milton, Ontario. I don't know if anyone in Ontario knows about the new college. I have not got any new information about the new college so maybe it is all talk and not get anywhere with the business of having a deaf teachers and interpreters in the new college like the deaf institution, only that it is probably will be different than the hearing college. I don't want oral but if we need that to mainstream into the hearing world and to work with deaf and hearing people in our field like teaching and doctoring and lawyering, etc. It is okay to socialize about what you want to say. So come one, people, stay with the same subject that came with the first thread here, eh? :wave:

Back