Sign for E-mail?

MomToDeafChild

Reaction score
Is there a sign for E-MAIL, or is it just the sign for mail with an e in front?

Sorry if this has been asked a dozen times before; I couldn't find it.

Non-dominant hand "C" shape.

Dominant hand "N" shape.

"N" goes back and forth thru the opening of the "C".

The concept is the "C" is the email account, and the "N" is the email traffic, incoming and outgoing.

The sign is a noun and verb.

The noun form is the back and forth motion.

The verb form is directional. "I will email (to) you." "You will email (to) me." "I will email (to) him."

I have seen a public school terp and student use the "MAIL" sign initialized for email. The "A" hand (the "stamp" in "MAIL") was changed to an "E". But that's the only place I saw that form used. The general Deaf community uses the other sign.

I may be wrong, but I believe the sign for e-mail is made by holding the nondominant hand in the letter C handshape while the dominant hand is in the letter E handshape moving back and forth several times towards and away from you within the open C (represents the action of e-mails being sent from one computer to another). I don't know if that's an English or ASL sign, but it was what I was taught when I started learning sign in 1995. There may be a newer sign that is currently being used. Again, if I'm completely wrong about this, someone please correct me. :)

Dominant hand "N" shape.

The concept is the "C" is the email account, and the "N" is the email traffic, incoming and outgoing.

Reba,

People here sign an E within the opening of the C handshape instead of an N. Could this be a difference in regional signs? As an interpreter, have you ever seen anyone make the sign as I described?

I've seen similiar to reba, except the n she used, I've seen the number 1 used instead.

Reba,

People here sign an E within the opening of the C handshape instead of an N. Could this be a difference in regional signs? As an interpreter, have you ever seen anyone make the sign as I described?
I don't know if that's a regional variation or just more English since it's initialized. I haven't seen it used here. :dunno:

I've seen similiar to reba, except the n she used, I've seen the number 1 used instead.

This is what I was taught at well.

I was also told that if you fingerspell it, start at your chest and move the hand as you spell in the direction of the person you are emailing. and if you want the person to email you, you start fingerspelling away from you and move your hand closer to you as you spell. Does that make sense? I am horrible at describing a sign lol

Dominant hand "N" shape.

The sign is a noun and verb.

The noun form is the back and forth motion.

The verb form is directional. "I will email (to) you." "You will email (to) me." "I will email (to) him."

Here, we use "one" shape in the place of "N" shape.

This is what I was taught at well.

I was also told that if you fingerspell it, start at your chest and move the hand as you spell in the direction of the person you are emailing. and if you want the person to email you, you start fingerspelling away from you and move your hand closer to you as you spell. Does that make sense? I am horrible at describing a sign lol

RDC_girl,

That was an excellent description! :)

I just sign "E" then "mail." lol

Other sign I have seen was...umm I think I am just going to draw it, if I have not see anyone describe it yet.

I remember an older sign for email which was the sign for mail, except the moving hand was the E handshape.

Here (Buffalo) we use nondominant C with "horizontal" 1 shape back and forth inside the C. Some fingerspell. Haven't seen the other ways yet!
-erica-

I've seen a variety of signs for that word. Interesting how many signs there can be for a single word, from different regions and such.

Back