Show your professionalism in your programming.

MTIV

Reaction score
Greetings DWD (deaf web developers)

I wanted to expand a little on validated website coding. Many web developers and programmers don’t consider website usability when developing a website. Much more, don’t even consider validating their html, xhtml or cascading style sheets. Why?

Validating website coding is important to the success of the websites performance. Believe it or not the fact remains that there are users online that still use Windows 98, and older versions of browsers. Who cares? Well if your developing a website for small or large businesses you don’t want to loose any potential business. Even if you can attract 5% more users by providing total usability to site users on older platforms you can increase your clients ROI.

So how does one check to see if their coding is validated in according to the standards of the W3C?
1.) HTML Validation: http://validator.w3.org/
You can enter in your url and see if your site passes validation.
2.) CSS (Cascading Style Sheet Validation)
can be found at: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html

While many may not have much feedback in relation to code validation… the end result to those that do validate their website coding will only demonstrate the quality of your end product you provide your customers.

So however you develop your websites; be it on a WYSIWYG, BBEdit or just on NotePad, make sure you understand your coding, and it validates.

Look forward to the feedback from other deafie developers!

Cheers!
MTIV

I am guessing no one here cares to provide any discussion on the quality of web development programming. Perhaps boring, don't understand, or just don't care about programming as a whole. :afro:

very rare I have seen deaf who is into web development programming... :|

Suck, isn't it?

Hey people, I am current to taking some course that to take two degree in different career. I have notice at myself and present this world. Who are interesting or likes to get money for their own life, however; their ability is joke that I meet several students in my college. Today, where I live the state is current lying off the employment and turning in them go to college. The couple I meet in my class which they are my classmate. One guy is very old and seems to be retirement anytime. The woman attends to my Database class, for I cannot stand her face. What I mean about ‘her face’, you see that she has her several hairs underneath the chin.

My point is those student doesn’t have talent like you two or I ability. When my teacher asked those student, “Why are you concede be a web design?” Both of them respond, “because the money.” It surprised me because their design is joke. The teacher gave them a challenge question or whatever subject we are working on class. It totals embarrassing me when they are my group or team because the teacher assigns me in their group. My interpreter is not appreciating at their work or doing assignment. They keep say ‘Uhh!’ all the hour in class. Gee, I couldn’t wait to finish that lesson! Have you meet the people are like that even they are hearing or deaf? I am curious about that one.

I am wondering why they have technical forums at all? I agree with the above post by Illustrator - there are not many here who know what they are doing or care to learn or debate.

If I created a post - what is your favorite WYSIWYG editor - I would have a hot topic. But when I bring of more technical conversations ... no one replies? :confused: This is a Technical Forum area right? :confused:

Maybe this area should be called "Basic Computer Questions and Learning" :ugh2:

Anyway ...

MTIV,

Nice to know that there is someone concerned about usability.

I am anal about website usuability and the recent macromedia.com redesign really pisses me off. FUCK FLASH PAGES!

I like useit.com.

There are some things that you're better off limiting certain browsers for users, especially for security reasons. I always check my websites on Opera, Mac IE, WinIE - they're the most popular website. Right now, I am testing Safari.

-jeff

additionally, I NEVER use any WYSIWYG editors. I always code in HTML and PHP using Homesite. WYSIWYG editors often spit out wasted code for little things. By knowing how to code in HTML, you have more control with how it should be presented.

-jeff

I rarely use those WYSIWYG programs like Dreamweaver. If I'm in a hurry and need some quick results, I'll use Dreamweaver. After I'm done, I'll clean up the codes by hand using Notepad. Other times, I just use Notepad cuz I get what I want that way.

As for those validator websites, I've used them for my projects in school. It's required so that the teacher knows I did my job. I've also taken a couple classes on how things should be designed: Human Factors & Interface Design... so I know the rules for designing websites. Here's one important rule that we should not forget... CRAP!

No, I'm not talking about turds. No, I'm not talking about shit. No, I'm not talking about feces. I'm talking about: Color, Repetition, Alignment, & Proximity.

VamPyroX
WYSIWYG for Adobe GoLive really does a great job at code Validation. Exporting a website after production is great in that you can select the option to "Strip" all GoLive's inserted code. However on problem remains - if you used internal Javascripting GoLive does not strip it all and replace with valid javascript. Solution though one can open pages and validate the scripting by hand coding the changes.. simple enough.

Most validation has to be done by hand anyway through editing after having a site inspected at W3C.

Our office has licensed WYSIWYG application - Adobe's GoLive. This powerful application allows manual coding, sitewide search and replace, group project management, exporting "removing adobe's inserted coding" etc.., and much more.

Agree to most comments that understanding hand coding is a must. I laugh at those who say they hand code an entire site and say they run a full time business doing it. We have a staff of 4 people and if we all hand coded production would be much slower. But, I am always open to seeing how a business does financially based on hand coding only.

As I said though.... WYSIWYG is very easy to go back and validate the coding after the WYSIWYG site has been completed. (note when I speak of WYSIWYG, I don't mean drag and drop, I mean professional production.)

Good conversation - wish I had more time to feed this topic!
Cheers

Last edited:
::: netrox :::

I agree to disagree. I have seen some great Flash sites that work well with usability. However, for the most part... Macromedia Flash or any Flash based media has a way to go online.

Flash is better used for like product presentations - an example would be [view presentation] button where a new window opens with the flash movie. Presenting a full website in Flash is just setting a business up for failure.

Search engines for the most part are trying to find ways to crawl flash websites for content. It has not been a success. Flash movies are great for media presentations and CD ROM's as we have created.

IMHO Flash website must go. Even though I have broadband and T1 access I don't like Flash websites - when I find one... I leave. That is unless I am looking for entertainment ;)

According to this topic mainly about 'website validation' as a web design/develop for 8 years now. I just noticed recently regarding to this matters does not bring up much about it? 4 or 5 years ago it was quite important for the web developer or designer to considered about the validation stuff, but now ... not much.

With above mentioned its cos that the main web browser like Microsoft IE and Netscape (the big rival!) are trying to make it more compactible by the board (cannot remember the name of the company!)

Also now, most of the computer users use IE browser (about 80%) with the versions 4 to 6 thats works most of things.

So I would not worried about it too much, only one main thing to consider to validate the website between PC and Macintosh.

and finally .... I thought Flash is a good stuff!!!! it bring us more lots of fun and attraction!

ciao

i feel the urge to chip in my 2 cents here. I assume most of the deaf web programmers on this site only know how to code static websites. Does anyone here actully works on the 2+ tiles on an n-tile web application? There are much more to the front end design for a full function dynamic website. Just take database, security, user interface, and web traffic control for example, more effort will be spend on those areas than just to design a pretty website with all those fancy graphics. And no adobe golive or dreamwaver can handle those tasks I just listed above. So hand code the site is the way to go. For those who brags about using goLive to create a website, they are only talking about the tip of an iceberg

Originally posted by knoble
Also now, most of the computer users use IE browser (about 80%) with the versions 4 to 6 thats works most of things.

Soon in short future, Mac user will switch to Safari, the new apple's own broswer. That make cut down to lowest 70% on IE. That would make much different, eh? :dunno:

guess I'm coing a little late to the conversation, but I'll add in my two cents. I code in Java -- making dynamic web applications with JSP/Servlet /JavaBean technology. I volunteer at a site called javaranch.com (they have BB like this -- saloon.javaranch.com) -- you might not be as interested in all the Java-type forums, but we have a great HTML/JavaScript forum too.

But anyway -- what I'm getting at is I'm going to be doing a book review on this book: Web Bloopers: 60 Common Web Design Mistakes, and How to Avoid Them

After I read through it I'll post my review here too -- by the title / synopsis it looks promising from a usability standpoint.

Originally posted by MTIV
::: netrox :::

I agree to disagree. I have seen some great Flash sites that work well with usability. However, for the most part... Macromedia Flash or any Flash based media has a way to go online.

Flash is better used for like product presentations - an example would be [view presentation] button where a new window opens with the flash movie. Presenting a full website in Flash is just setting a business up for failure.

Search engines for the most part are trying to find ways to crawl flash websites for content. It has not been a success. Flash movies are great for media presentations and CD ROM's as we have created.

IMHO Flash website must go. Even though I have broadband and T1 access I don't like Flash websites - when I find one... I leave. That is unless I am looking for entertainment ;)

As a flash guru, I share your opinion. Just call me a ex-guru.

I will buy a G5 computer and some software this summer. An Apple dealer in Mass told me that GoLive or Dreamweaver will not work with mySQL if I plan to expand a database(s). Is this true?

I heard that WebObjects can work with mySQL or PHP because it is cleaner program. NTID does not offer these programs including C++ when I was in college.

Apple offers students to take the class which cost 2,000 dollars. It seems that Apple is a rip off. But, I bet that Apple software are the best.

Last summer, I took an Adobe GoLive class at a community college with an interpreter. It was interesting. Unfortunately, we finished 75 percent what we have learned because a student does not catch up the instructions.

I understand a little in programming C++. Do you have suggestions for me to buy C++ books as long as it is related to a web program. I am not quite sure if C++ is the same language for both IBM PC and Apple.

I hope that I would able to create a website business before I purchase an Xserver at the end of summer. I just want to run the business because I am hearing impaired and want to be an owner.

Jeff

We will have to wait for Apple's announcement on June 23rd for G5. I hope this one should be good one. I would appreciate it if we could talk about this on other forum because this forum is only discussion on "Show your professionalism in your programming." MTVI, sorry about that. I am still interested to hear about your ideas for the design/site building like cons and pros.

Back