Should I fight for an interpreter?

So, looks like you fully believe he should have an interpreter for extracurricular activities, and you have the law to back you up, but those involved with the school and other advocates who make up your iep team don't interpret the law in the same way and think youare being unreasonable, hmm?

I'm surprised no one here has successfully made a case to get their children an after school interpreter and can give you some tips on what went into making the case as clear to the iep team as it is to you. Or maybe we just haven't heard yet from those with experience doing it.

Would be nice if people actually answered you with constructive approaches you could take to make this happen and reassure you that it can happen despite all that you've heard to the contrary.

I'd have thought that Jillio and PFH might have addressed this at some point, Jillio, wasn't your child in a mainstream environment briefly, or not long enough or at an age to encounter this need? PFH, is your daughter at an ASL / bibi school for the deaf or at an oral deaf school? Does she utilize interpreters in the academic or extracurricular environment at all?

Aside from these two, I rarely see parents of Deaf children who aren't aided or using CIs on this board anymore, I wish wee beastie and rockdrummer were here to contribute, I think eyd be more willing to share their experience rather than slam you for asking if you are being unreasonable in your expectation of interpreters for your child's after hours.

Yes, briefly, but was not at an age where extra-curricular activities were a big concern. No need for terps for extra-curriculars when he was at a deaf school.

I make sure my deaf students at the college level have terps available for any extra-curriculars they need them for. Its the law.

You wont answer her and tell her how you had achieved this because she objected to being accused of not caring for her son's needs, when that concern is exactly why she posted here for support ?

Her question was whether she should fight for a terp for her son for extra-curriculars. No one can help her with that question. She has to determine that for herself.

All I can say is, had my son needed a terp and not been provided one, I would not have needed to ask anyone if I should fight for his rights. That was a given. Didn't need a single, solitary soul to tell me to go to due process. Nor did I expect praise for having done so. I am his parent, he is my child. It is my duty. I signed on for these obligations when I decided to have a child.

I was already experience fight to interpreter I was 18 yrs. I was tough tell boss principle I complaint to education

It has been my observation that those deaf who were "isolated" at a deaf school often get along well their hearing peers when they enter the workforce.

Absolutely. Because in that "isolation" :)giggle:), they were in an environment that allowed them to develop social skills in the way a child is intended to do so. Those skills then carry over into the workforce, and to interaction with hearing persons.

Welcome back ocean! Agreed. Big question, though, is how she can make her case if they are asking. Seems like someone here must have encountered this need in the past and made a case that would stick.

It is written into the ADA and IDEA. Simply throw the law at them. It really isn't rocket science for something like this.

Two things.....yes you should fight for it. But there may be more than one way to fight. I would fight the district but would also seek creative ways to raise funds at the same time. Given the budget cuts in California schools you are going to catch ALOT of flak. That doesn't mean your child doesn't deserve the terp though. If you need ideas feel free to PM me.

It is illegal to deny a terp based on funding issues.

My son is mainstreamed full time, with an interpreter for the duration of the school day. Last year, I requested use of his FM in his extracurricular activities. District initially said no, which I was prepared for and provided them with relevant Ed codes. It was a challenge, but I finally got them to agree to it.

We had part one of his two part IEP, at which I requested an interpreter for some of his extracurricular activities. The district said they, " aren't obligated to provide one outside school hours" which isn't true. However, it will be a fight to get them to agree to it.

I know how I feel (he needs the terp, I don't want him missing pieces of what's going on), but a lot of people are giving me flack for it. He has decent residual hearing, but a severe hearing loss nonetheless.

Do you guys think I should fight for it, or let it go? I'm definitely leaning more towards fighting for his right to a terp, but having others perspective would be helpful for me to make the final determination.

If they say no, then they are being stupid. There ADA law. They have to follow that. if deaf need interpreter then deaf get one. It is the Law. It is requirement for deaf. i dont think your son want to misunderstanding of what going on.

Well, a former member here JackieSolorzano who was from CA managed to get school to foot the cost of an terp for her daughter's water polo and that was an extracurricular activity.

Fight for a terp if there's an activity your son is interested in doing. If he isn't then don't bother. Simple as that.

Last edited:
THank Jillo, PFh,

it is very not easy , do you can face to face to best straight to hard work!, I was hard work, Do not give up because fight to interpreter not listen, instead

counsellor and social worker I already right of human decision education,

your decision right human of decision complaint to tel Boss or Chief

or services I already very patient attempt fight try boss said willing, kick out interpreter fail, I won I truth tell principle

Said uncomfortable on interpreter , right human decision law

I was final on struggle quality interpreter person good experiment to ASL

if supposed interpeter attitude, I said tell boss , I said word I don't comfortable to interpreter expression bad behavior,

Boss understand I was did tell pretty tough I want to back same, I don't want play games because Boss decision, not boss I want to decision my own prefer match on personal pick interpeter I clear understand interpreter! wise good pretty quality improve!

communication to education interpreter right to policy appropriate follow rule on school and health!

THank Jillo, PFh,

it is very not easy , do you can face to face to best straight to hard work!, I was hard work, Do not give up because fight to interpreter not listen, instead

counsellor and social worker I already right of human decision education,

your decision right human of decision complaint to tel Boss or Chief

or services I already very patient attempt fight try boss said willing, kick out interpreter fail, I won I truth tell principle

Said uncomfortable on interpreter , right human decision law

I was final on struggle quality interpreter person good experiment to ASL

if supposed interpeter attitude, I said tell boss , I said word I don't comfortable to interpreter expression bad behavior,

Boss understand I was did tell pretty tough I want to back same, I don't want play games because Boss decision, not boss I want to decision my own prefer match on personal pick interpeter I clear understand interpreter! wise good pretty quality improve!

communication to education interpreter right to policy appropriate follow rule on school and health!

I am very proud of you for standing up for yourself and getting your needs met, Travis. You just keep getting stronger and stronger.

Might to interpeter quality policy, I might to assurance not sure pretty hard to figure out try best not easy

that is tough! you can do it best mind changelle, do it tell boss or teacher, I might illegal broken law very policy! hard to tell you explain

I am very proud of you for standing up for yourself and getting your needs met, Travis. You just keep getting stronger and stronger.

x4
I am fight to my empower education skills great, grow building help advocate best future!

important to education and lots of keep focus on education and communication interpreter worth!

x4
I am fight to my empower education skills great, grow building help advocate best future!

important to education and lots of keep focus on education and communication interpreter worth!

Absolutely it is important to keep your focus on your education and to have good communication through your interpreter.

Absolutely it is important to keep your focus on your education and to have good communication through your interpreter.

education improve strict to professional lots of policy really pretty sound serious!

interpreter is very professional interpreter prove on have certficate unversity level high

I study observed interpreter quality professional

she not allow on personal illegal

Rule change strict,

because boss not allow interpreter reason tell name illegal! they job server policy is very strict listen to follow on education and servers

Many I am experience lots of study good education and services

Back