Several students injured in school rampage

Forgive me for not reply your post an earlier. I am still in England since last week and will go back to Germany next Monday.

I use my best friend's computer to post.

I just bet. I am wondering how this will affect the whole family.

Horrible...

Accord my sons and co-workers:

The parents of 18 years old student, living separate. He live with his father and his sister live with mother.

Father went to Job Center to pick their children up like every parents. He was nervousbreakdown after learn that his son did and both of his children are in clinic as soon as he was in Job Center. He was rushed to clinic.

Few days after that, some students posted horrible letters without their names in parent's mailbox. Police told everyone in the Town Hall to stop and support the parents. They agreed and told the children to not do that. They agreed and give the parents loving support. I can image it's horrible for the parents to learn that one of their children did that. I am glad that German press accord privacy law do not spread their last name to the public and around the world.

Wow, that is horrible!

Yes it's. :(

Even adults 18 years old?

It's not about their ages but protect their family's last names.

In America, only the names of minors and rape victims are withheld, even the first names so people can't guess who they are. Even then, sometimes the names of minors are released if they are accused of a serious crime of violence.

Question:

Would they (innocent people) who found out that they did not commit crime afterward, sue the press for use their last names to the public and around the world without get their permission ?

Can you image how you feel if your last name go to the public after learn that your child commit a crime or did not commit a crime?

...Few days after that, some students posted horrible letters without their names in parent's mailbox. Police told everyone in the Town Hall to stop and support the parents. They agreed and told the children to not do that. They agreed and give the parents loving support. I can image it's horrible for the parents to learn that one of their children did that. I am glad that German press accord privacy law do not spread their last name to the public and around the world.
Even without publishing their last name, apparently the students knew who the parents were anyway, so it doesn't really protect them.

Question:

Would they (innocent people) who found out that they did not commit crime afterward, sue the press for use their last names to the public and around the world without get their permission?
No, they can't sue the press because it's public record. The press didn't accuse them of a crime, the law did. The press only reports it. Freedom of the press means people can't sue unless the press knowingly made a false report against someone (libel). Reporting facts is not libel.

Can you image how you feel if your last name go to the public after learn that your child commit a crime or did not commit a crime?
Since thousands of people share the same last name it wouldn't necessarily mean anything. There are plenty of people, black and white, all ages, who share my married last name in this town, state, and country. My last name shows up in the paper many times for people not related to me. So what? No one assumes they are all related to me.

If a relative of mine was arrested for a crime I would be devastated whether or not his name showed up in the paper.

I just find it ironic that Germany doesn't have freedom of the press since you constantly put down American press as not being as forthcoming as European press.

I think the people of your community have a right to know what's happening, and who's committing the crimes.

Back