Sensorineural hearing loss

nasif123

Reaction score
I have Sensorineural hearing loss. My audiogram shows that I have slight hearing loss. Since I have problem with the nerve I can't understand speech clearly. So, I am worried that hearing aid may or not work for me since I have problem with the nerve ! I just want to know how the members here with sensorineural hearing loss are being treated. Anything shared in this thread would be greatly appreciated.

nasif123 - Hi there! I've had severe/profound sensorineural hearing loss in both ears since I was around 2-3 years old. My left ear is deaf and can't be helped with a hearing aid - all I get is a tactile or vibration response. My right ear is severe/profound at around 55-65 dB hearing loss @ 250 Hz and going down from there. Basically, without an audiogram that can be considered roughly a 60% loss in my right ear's hearing in layman's terms. I've worn various hearing aids in my right ear my whole life.

I hear and understand speech very well with my current aid (a digital power aid - the Unitron 360e). The only situations where I used to not understand things well included noisy situations (although noisy situations have improved immensely with this hearing aid to the point where I don't have to lipread in those situations now to understand someone). It's some of the best hearing I've ever had with one. I love it cosmetically as well because I was able to choose a dark grey techie-type color that blends well with my hair instead of wearing a bright beige hearing aid that's noticeable by everyone without looking. Quite honestly this is the best hearing aid I've ever had even though I have trouble in some situations (like a female voice in singing where they join vowels and consonants together in non-discernable fast-paced phrases I am unable to understand completely unless I read the lyrics first). I also have trouble understanding very soft spoken women without lipreading. I can still understand a great majority of speech and song without lipreading or reading lyrics first.

But, alas, enough about that hearing aid. Even considering my disability I have done well. I don't even really consider myself disabled like others seem to do - I believe it's all in the attitude and how you live life and how you approach it.

Welcome! :wave:

I am late deafened and I have a sensorineural loss as well. I am getting new aids as mine maxed out. I'm getting naidas which are power aids. As soon as I have needed aids I have worn them...most sensorineural hoh/Ddeaf people have hearing aids or CI if they qualify. You should definitely try hearing aids though! Most audis give trial periods

I have it and wear a HA but rely on ASL mostly for communication.

I have profound sensorineural hearing loss and I have a Spirit 3 SP hearing aid and also a cochlear implant.

I had bilateral SNL and wore HA's from the time I was 7. I had another issue which took all my hearing from me and I am now total deaf. My children have bilateral SNL, daughter is mild and has no aids and no problems. Son is moderate loss and needs aids, but refuses to wear them. At 14 (15 in May) I am not going to force him. He is still verbal and will be learning ASL with me.

daughter is mild and has no aids and no problems. Son is moderate loss and needs aids, but refuses to wear them. At 14 (15 in May)
Kristina, your daughter is the one that has an LD right? Is it language based? You may want to contact the outreach team at Florida School for the Deaf and Blind and see if she may actually have something like an auditory processing disorder. Or is her LD more like dyslexia? Just a suggestion. I know you had a bad experiance with the special ed in your area, but FSDB is really top notch. I know it's far away from you, but maybe they could perform an evaluation or something.
Maybe your son might need exposure to other kids who wear aids. I remember how self conscuious I was at that age. Most young teens are self conscious about their aids.
If you want I'll find out info about summer programs for dhh kids. That might help him accept his hearing aids.

Kristina, your daughter is the one that has an LD right? Is it language based? You may want to contact the outreach team at Florida School for the Deaf and Blind and see if she may actually have something like an auditory processing disorder. Or is her LD more like dyslexia? Just a suggestion. I know you had a bad experiance with the special ed in your area, but FSDB is really top notch. I know it's far away from you, but maybe they could perform an evaluation or something.
Maybe your son might need exposure to other kids who wear aids. I remember how self conscuious I was at that age. Most young teens are self conscious about their aids.
If you want I'll find out info about summer programs for dhh kids. That might help him accept his hearing aids.

Yes, my daughter has been diagnosed with CAPD - Central Auditory Processing Disorder. Not much to be done - her hearing is actually pretty good. She just hears things a little fuzzy. (her words). When we lived in Missouri we lived on 1 1/2 acres with 80 acres of cow pasture behind us. A mama cow was in our backyard and the baby was at the back end of the 80 acres and Rebekah could hear the baby crying. She heard the train coming and the tracks were a mile away, so I know her hearing is not bad. She just has problems processing info and understanding it. We do kind of an adaptive way of learning lessons and she's plugging along. I have found that if we put the lesson into a chant or to music, she retains it better. We made a power point presentation about the Civil War (I have since lost it with a computer crash) and she really liked that and can still remember things from it. It's harder work for me to find things that work, but I've been doing it for quite a while that I would feel lost without it.

Son won't wear the aids since my mother lives with us and she has a naturally loud voice and would blast out his ears with the aids. He doesn't socialize much since he is self concious of his weight. He is losing, but for some reason is finding it hard to make friends down here. He wants to go back to Missouri, but we are not going back. For the most part, he does fine - just doesn't catch everything, and he prefers to have the captioning on the TV. I've given up the TV totally.

ok try an fm and non vebral cues to go with vebral doesnt have to full sign (I use speech and block or asl fingerspelling)

I no you are learning sign with your son at a class bring it home. Sign things between son and you if your daugther doesnt want to attend the class and she will pick up things.

Last edited:
Yes - I will be attending the class and will bring home everything and be signing as I speak at home. Both kids as well as the other 3 adults if they try will be learning. That's my husband, my mother and my mother-in-law. We are 6 in the one house. Ye Gawds!!

He doesn't socialize much since he is self concious of his weight. He is losing, but for some reason is finding it hard to make friends down here. He wants to go back to Missouri, but we are not going back. For the most part, he does fine - just doesn't catch everything,
Kristina, I was that way too. (the weird deaf fat kid) Thank GAWD he's avoiding the hell of being mainstreamed. Jr high and high school kids can be so freaking CRUEL!!!! Would you like it if I tried to find out some info about dhh
summer programs for your kids? I know you might be concerned that they would be the only hoh/oral kids but I do believe that Florida is one of the states that is extremely welcoming towards hoh kids/ kids who are just starting out learning Sign. There was a mom of a hoh girl who posted here a while ago. Her kid was totally oral, and was having some issues in school. Then they enrolled her in FSDB and she learned Sign and is REALLY thriving! (both academicly and socially. She now even has a BOYFRIEND!)
Don't let that myth keep you from taking advantage of any resources or anything.
Seriously, it sounds like your kids are doing AWESOME acdemicly. They don't sound like they need a formal academic program for dhh teens. (not even one of those ones where there's a handful of dhh kids with a "dhh resource room")
But maybe going to a dhh summer program for teens would really open up new avenues for them! Especially socially (and social issues tend to be a bugaboo for many dhh, and homeschooled kids. Even a lot of superstars tend to have significent social isues)
If I lived down in Florida I would come down and be kind of a mentor for your kids. (I have a moderately severe loss and remember all too well what it was like to be that fat deaf smart kid) Too bad we don't have a forum for dhh teens or something.
.Do we have any other members in Florida near you?
Oh, and I figured she was CAPD. Are there any therapy centers near you? I thought that CAPD was being treated by therapy now.

Kristina, I was that way too. (the weird deaf fat kid) Thank GAWD he's avoiding the hell of being mainstreamed. Jr high and high school kids can be so freaking CRUEL!!!! Would you like it if I tried to find out some info about dhh
summer programs for your kids? I know you might be concerned that they would be the only hoh/oral kids but I do believe that Florida is one of the states that is extremely welcoming towards hoh kids/ kids who are just starting out learning Sign. There was a mom of a hoh girl who posted here a while ago. Her kid was totally oral, and was having some issues in school. Then they enrolled her in FSDB and she learned Sign and is REALLY thriving! (both academicly and socially. She now even has a BOYFRIEND!)
Don't let that myth keep you from taking advantage of any resources or anything.
Seriously, it sounds like your kids are doing AWESOME acdemicly. They don't sound like they need a formal academic program for dhh teens. (not even one of those ones where there's a handful of dhh kids with a "dhh resource room")
But maybe going to a dhh summer program for teens would really open up new avenues for them! Especially socially (and social issues tend to be a bugaboo for many dhh, and homeschooled kids. Even a lot of superstars tend to have significent social isues)
If I lived down in Florida I would come down and be kind of a mentor for your kids. (I have a moderately severe loss and remember all too well what it was like to be that fat deaf smart kid) Too bad we don't have a forum for dhh teens or something.
.Do we have any other members in Florida near you?
Oh, and I figured she was CAPD. Are there any therapy centers near you? I thought that CAPD was being treated by therapy now.

I have already checked with FSDB and since I don't want to send son up there (4-6 hour drive) and he doesn't really want to go, we won't go that route. He will learn ASL with me and does go with me to the deaf club. He is beginning to take an interest there and has been invited to the deaf socials even though it's during the day when he should technically be in school. Being at the social will count towards his school credit in home school.

I know about rockin robin in North Florida and baby blue in western, but not anyone close enough to me, but then again, he will benefit from the deaf club as will I.

As for my daughter, I don't know about anything regarding therapy for CAPD and she would not want to do anything. She is adjusting well, and has learned what does and does not work for her. She will let me know if it's a bad day, and we let her just "veg" until she's all together again. Usually it doesn't take all day, but we are finding that air pressure changes really affect her big time so I keep an eye on the weather forecast. Homeschooling really lets us have the flexible schedule we need for the deaf socials and daughters needs.

I have already checked with FSDB and since I don't want to send son up there (4-6 hour drive) and he doesn't really want to go, we won't go that route. He will learn ASL with me and does go with me to the deaf club. He is beginning to take an interest there and has been invited to the deaf socials even though it's during the day when he should technically be in school. Being at the social will count towards his school credit in home school.
Oh that's good that you're going to Deaf club with him. Doing extracurricular "deaf stuff" is a good alternative to a formal academic program. Are there any kids his age at the Deaf club? I do remember you mentioning that he's quite advanced academicly, which is awesome. (and again it doesn't sound like he really needs a formal dhh program) I think homeschooling can be awesome.
Would your son be interested in summer school/summer camp programs for dhh kids?
I was just thinking about that as an option b/c then he could meet other dhh kids.
Is he a geeky type? I'm almost positive NTID has a summer program for dhh teens.
I'll try and find as much info as possible on summer programs for dhh teens. There is a HUGE variety of summer programs.There's even one for mainstreamed dhh kids.
Just a suggestion. Camp can be a lifechanging experiance, and can be an awesome extracurricular/enrichment experiance.
Are you ever looking for curriculum ideas? I know he doesn't need or want to go off to deaf school. You could contact Gally/MSSD and see if they might help with curriculm related ideas. Maybe you could do something like a deaf history unit. Actually, you mentioned on your facebook site that you're Christian. There is a Deaf Christian School out there. Maybe they might have ideas on curriculm.
Welcome to Harvest Deaf Ministries!... Ooooo. They even have a Deaf Camp! (and it looks like the whole family can go!)Harvest Deaf Camp 2010 - July 25-30, 2010
I think too there's an evalingcal (sp?) Deaf camp called Bill Rice Ranch.

Oh that's good that you're going to Deaf club with him. Doing extracurricular "deaf stuff" is a good alternative to a formal academic program. Are there any kids his age at the Deaf club? I do remember you mentioning that he's quite advanced academicly, which is awesome. (and again it doesn't sound like he really needs a formal dhh program) I think homeschooling can be awesome.
Would your son be interested in summer school/summer camp programs for dhh kids?
I was just thinking about that as an option b/c then he could meet other dhh kids.
Is he a geeky type? I'm almost positive NTID has a summer program for dhh teens.
I'll try and find as much info as possible on summer programs for dhh teens. There is a HUGE variety of summer programs.There's even one for mainstreamed dhh kids.
Just a suggestion. Camp can be a lifechanging experiance, and can be an awesome extracurricular/enrichment experiance.
Are you ever looking for curriculum ideas? I know he doesn't need or want to go off to deaf school. You could contact Gally/MSSD and see if they might help with curriculm related ideas. Maybe you could do something like a deaf history unit. Actually, you mentioned on your facebook site that you're Christian. There is a Deaf Christian School out there. Maybe they might have ideas on curriculm.
Welcome to Harvest Deaf Ministries!... Ooooo. They even have a Deaf Camp! (and it looks like the whole family can go!)Harvest Deaf Camp 2010 - July 25-30, 2010
I think too there's an evalingcal (sp?) Deaf camp called Bill Rice Ranch.

Harvest Deaf Ministries is in Georgia. I'm not sure about the Bill Rice Ranch. I will ask him about a summer camp program. There are quite a few deaf and hoh teens in the deaf club. He is just beginning to communicate with them and get over his shyness.

I am checking around to see about other things. I got some curriculum materials from Dawn Sign Press and my local Deaf Service Center is providing me with some material to use as well.

Bill Rice Ranch have a deaf camp for the whole family. It's a good place to learn ASL as I think they teach it

you have to be aware that they have a schedule and policy (especially clothing policy) because is a fundamental baptist camp (unless I'm wrong, but I've always been told this). This will mean you will learn some bible sign languages, especially from King James bible.

Bill Rice Ranch have a deaf camp for the whole family. It's a good place to learn ASL as I think they teach it

you have to be aware that they have a schedule and policy (especially clothing policy) because is a fundamental baptist camp (unless I'm wrong, but I've always been told this). This will mean you will learn some bible sign languages, especially from King James bible.

Do you know where it is?

I don't know that hubby will approve of a Baptist anything. We attend the Church of God, but I love the King James version and so does son and hubby.

Back