SEE vs ASL

I watched it before. I'm so laughing so hard. I clicked thumb up! I used to be SEE before. I prefer to ASL period!

I know ASL users who have perfect English writing skills, and I know SEE users who have lousy English writing skills. Using SEE does not guarantee good English.

Long before SEE was invented there were ASL signing Deaf people who had English reading and writing skills the same as hearing people.

FYI. That is not true. I knew the most deaf people grow up in mainstream and use SEE. They enrolled to college and learned ASL. Their English skill are fine. It depend on individual's skill reading and writing so early. I knew a several deaf people's personal with cognitive develop disorders and cause poor in English grammars when they were raised in SEE to ASL. They are still the same poor English grammar due to lack of reading skill. I knew a several kids from Elementary school to High School. They has a learning disability, and ADHD, They are fluent in ASL expect not good at reading skill and lazy grammars in English cause people get confused.

FYI. That is not true. I knew the most deaf people grow up in mainstream and use SEE. They enrolled to college and learned ASL. Their English skill are fine. It depend on individual's skill reading and writing so early. I knew a several deaf people's personal with cognitive develop disorders and cause poor in English grammars when they were raised in SEE to ASL. They are still the same poor English grammar due to lack of reading skill. I knew a several kids from Elementary school to High School. They has a learning disability, and ADHD, They are fluent in ASL expect not good at reading skill and lazy grammars in English cause people get confused.

Nope.

Truth to be told..it is not from ASL or being lazy.

It is from no access to language during their formative years and no communication in their homes.

AspSL is not to b blamed.

Nope.

Truth to be told..it is not from ASL or being lazy.

It is from no access to language during their formative years and no communication in their homes.

AspSL is not to b blamed.

Well. You have good point. I know only one from my schoolmate and same ride bus. She was using home sign instead of English and ASL at home with hearing family. She has a learning disorder. Her English writing is bad as always. I can see her status on FB. I can't understand what she talking about.

For another my classmate at deaf school. She grew up in ASL and home sign at home with hearing family. She received her High School certificated due to faied on ISTEP. Because she is lazy at Engisb grammar for example. So sup? Da man, da kewl, I'm with my sexi mami. I not know, I are go to store, I'm business instead busy. Do you understand I meaning? That is the problem. I can't pick on her for bad grammar. It would hurt her feel. You know. I knew the most of raised in BiBi and have an English skill.

Well. You have good point. I know only one from my schoolmate and same ride bus. She was using home sign instead of English and ASL at home with hearing family. She has a learning disorder. Her English writing is bad as always. I can see her status on FB. I can't understand what she talking about.

For another my classmate at deaf school. She grew up in ASL and home sign at home with hearing family. She received her High School certificated due to faied on ISTEP. Because she is lazy at Engisb grammar for example. So sup? Da man, da kewl, I'm with my sexi mami. I not know, I are go to store, I'm business instead busy. Do you understand I meaning? That is the problem. I can't pick on her for bad grammar. It would hurt her feel. You know. I knew the most of raised in BiBi and have an English skill.

Maybe it is their learning disorders is why they had a hard time with written English?

There are so many factors that could be the cause but like you said, BIBI is the best way to go so nobody misses out on language development and end up with language problems like the ones you described.

What I posted was true. I do know those people.

Maybe it is their learning disorders is why they had a hard time with written English?

There are so many factors that could be the cause but like you said, BIBI is the best way to go so nobody misses out on language development and end up with language problems like the ones you described.

That is exactly. They have a hard time to writing correct in English skill.

That's true...different way of thinking.

I cant stand Rachel and her mother. Her mother is the worst. Their way of thinking demeans the rest of us who don't have CIs or who use ASL.

Last edited:
I am deaf and have always used signed English. I guess it depends on who you hang around with growing up. Most of my deaf/HoH friends signed in English. In my opinion, that helped me learn the correct way of reading/talking in English including grammar. In school, Language/Writing/English classes were my favorite subjects, I got good grades in it. Mainstreamed schools I went to had signed English teachers. Interpreters for college used signed English. I would never request an ASL interpreter. For my VR appointment, the interpreter asked me if I wanted her to sign in ASL or English. I told her always in English so I know word for word what the person is saying. I have the right to know exactly what was said, not shortcuts. To me shortcuts in ASL throws me off. I don't mind ASL between friends but not for professional settings. That's my opinion of course and that's how I was raised.

I have a question for you. Is English as Second Language in BiBi or what?

I have a question for you. Is English as Second Language in BiBi or what?

Depends on the students...sometimes as a 2nd language, sometimes they learn both at the same time, and sometimes English is the first language.

We value both. What's most important...ASL is NEVER compromised for the sake of oralism.

Back