SEE is a language... It's English...

Status
Not open for further replies.
CSign, I hasten to add that I am not attacking you personally. I KNOW your child is doing brilliantly with SEE. No surprise there, since children tend to excel and any mode of language. BUT...there will come a time when the language becomes cumbersome What then? Does the child have to take a flying leap across the chasm? What then? Where will all the concern from hearing folk help? Sorry if I sound like I am ranting and foaming, but I see this all too often.

At first I excelled with the oral-only method but as I got older, things got very very very bad. That's one of the biggest reasons why I hate it so much.

I am saying sometimes, with the impression that the student/person who is using the interpreter uses ASL as their primary mode of communication.

PFH, you asked why I am "hardcore SEE" now. I appreciate you asking that, although I wouldn't label myself "hardcore SEE.". The reason was/ is because in the research I did, I found that many DHH students were graduating high school with a 3rd to 4th grade reading level. I did not want my son to be one of those statistics. That is a part of why we chose to use SEE. He now has a solid foundation in English to work from. That's not to say that he won't experience any challenges. Every person, deaf or not faces challenges in school. From the knowledge he has now, he will be continue to grow and improve.
As I said before, there is no one right way to do things. Different paths ultimately can lead to the sane place.

So, in other words, ASL is the cause for deaf children to have poor reading skills?

So, in other words, ASL is the cause for deaf children to have poor reading skills?

According to her post that's what she thinks is that ASL is the flaw for the example of poor writing skills.

According to her post that's what she thinks is that ASL is the flaw for the example of poor writing skills.

Let's give her a chance to respond before jumping to conclusions.

Let's give her a chance to respond before jumping to conclusions.

you are right. I should wait and do not make assume until she has something to say it. It is just me what I see in her post that she thinks ASL is not an effective language for reading or writing skills.

you are right. I should wait and do not make assume until she has something to say it. It is just me what I see in her post that she thinks ASL is not an effective language for reading or writing skills.

Yup. "...many DHH students were graduating high school with a 3rd or 4th grade reading level." We know how she feels about ASL, so maybe she was referring to PSE? Nawww...

Wirelessly posted

Beowulf said:

Yup. "...many DHH students were graduating high school with a 3rd or 4th grade reading level." We know how she feels about ASL, so maybe she was referring to PSE? Nawww...

or maybe she was talking about oralism?

I dont know...best to let her answer first. I would rather let her have a chance to answer than all of us answering for her. That is not right. Thanks. :)

Are you going to say that hundred thousands of oral kids are behind in english as well with that question?

I admit that my English is good...but my thinking skills were definitely compromised. I cant think on the level as you and a few others do due to being in a restrictive environment 100% of the time. What parent want that for their child? I cant imagine it.

For me, my English and grammar skills as well as spelling skills were excellent. I just had massive issues and still do with comprehension. I have been told that's due to my hearing loss while growing up.

Evidently you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". So much for an accurate representation of English.:cool2:

You picked that up too Jillio, if you hadn't I would have.

I recalled that a deaf student from RIT got A+ on his essay, and he signs 100% ASL. No difference. SEE should be fine. It depends on the quality from his previous schools. Maybe, he is a serious motive in reading and writing since he was a young kid.

For me, my English and grammar skills as well as spelling skills were excellent. I just had massive issues and still do with comprehension. I have been told that's due to my hearing loss while growing up.

Should the language in our heads be more important than perfect Englishskills?

Sometimes I think English is soooo f****** overrated. It DOES NOT f*^^^%%%^%%%%%%% measure our cognitive skills. MY God @ those people who believe in that. WTF are you people thinking?!

Should the language in our heads be more important than perfect Englishskills?

Sometimes I think English is soooo f****** overrated. It DOES NOT f*^^^%%%^%%%%%%% measure our cognitive skills. MY God @ those people who believe in that. WTF are you people thinking?!

They're thinking in English. :lol:

Haven't been here for a while...but saw this thread and had to respond...so much of what I am thinking has already been said, but I do have to say I have yet to see anyone ever sign SEE at a NORMAL conversational speed. I asked terp friend of mine who is just a brilliant wonderful terp to do it...and, while it pained her to sign anything other than ASL, she did it for me and said there was no way she could sign word-for-word English at the same speed she speaks.

I am saying sometimes, with the impression that the student/person who is using the interpreter uses ASL as their primary mode of communication.

PFH, you asked why I am "hardcore SEE" now. I appreciate you asking that, although I wouldn't label myself "hardcore SEE.". The reason was/ is because in the research I did, I found that many DHH students were graduating high school with a 3rd to 4th grade reading level. I did not want my son to be one of those statistics. That is a part of why we chose to use SEE. He now has a solid foundation in English to work from. That's not to say that he won't experience any challenges. Every person, deaf or not faces challenges in school. From the knowledge he has now, he will be continue to grow and improve.
As I said before, there is no one right way to do things. Different paths ultimately can lead to the sane place.

This is evidence that you have not done enough research nor had enough experience within the Deaf Community. A lot of research out there is outdated and/or does not represent the full picture. There are many, like me, who have graduated with flying colours (I use English, not American spelling) I did not have SEE. I have already explained to you my experience. I mastered the English language fine without SEE. In my opinion, it is not the 'handicap' of being deaf that caused the low grade level, but most likely the lack of understanding to mean the necessary accomodations from the mainstream teachers. BTW, you have not responded to my PM.

Are you going to say that hundred thousands of oral kids are behind in english as well with that question?

PFH, FJ should see my recent post #498. (Sorry, been off forum for a few days, am on break from 'work' for a bit.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back