Scuba for HoH people

VacationGuy234

Reaction score
I've been thinking about taking up scuba, but I'm afraid of losing more hearing. I'm deaf in one ear and have profound hearing loss in the other. I've looked into Doc Plugs which are ear plugs that vent. They are supposed to prevent ear infections. I'm worried about the pressure and if it will affect my ear.

Are there any other HoH people out there who do scuba? Do you worry about ear infections? Has it caused any loss of hearing?

I've never heard of water pressure from scuba diving inducing more hearing loss. Is this actually possible?

I've never heard of water pressure from scuba diving inducing more hearing loss. Is this actually possible?

I don't know. I do know it's possible to pop your ear if you don't exhale right, but it's not the same thing as direct pressure hurting it.

Thanks, I also take a look at the ENT site.

Pressure won't hurt your ears if you keep relieving pressure ('pop your ears') through your Eustachian tube (done by pinching your nose, and gently blow through your nose, or moving your jaw around.) Some people can't do this at all, they cannot go more than 8 feet deep because their ears start hurting. My ears easily hurt at 5-10 feet deep if I don't pop my ears early enough.

This is another reason why you shouldn't go diving when you are sick. When you are sick, your Eustachian tubes get filled with mucus and makes it even harder to equalize the pressure.

However, I don't know anything about issues other than unequal pressure in your ears.

Pressure won't hurt your ears if you keep relieving pressure ('pop your ears') through your Eustachian tube (done by pinching your nose, and gently blow through your nose, or moving your jaw around.) Some people can't do this at all, they cannot go more than 8 feet deep because their ears start hurting. My ears easily hurt at 5-10 feet deep if I don't pop my ears early enough.

This is another reason why you shouldn't go diving when you are sick. When you are sick, your Eustachian tubes get filled with mucus and makes it even harder to equalize the pressure.

However, I don't know anything about issues other than unequal pressure in your ears.
Same here.

It depends on how often I swim. The more I swim, the least likely I need to pop my ears. :)

Or why you shouldn't fly when you are sick. I caught a very bad cold the day before my flight. That was a very painful experience.

I experience on Scuba I remember high school interpreter teach e sign language cool I am very swimming on deep approximately on 5 or 10 feet I think

I can't figure out how to message back when I recieve a message but I don't do body for life. I am an independent beachbody coach, I help people meet their fitness goals and I have used beachbody products for 7 yrs now and they are awesome!

I can't figure out how to message back when I recieve a message but I don't do body for life. I am an independent beachbody coach, I help people meet their fitness goals and I have used beachbody products for 7 yrs now and they are awesome!

I won a trip to hawaii through beachbody after I submitted my before and after pics for Power90 :)

We stayed at a really nice resort too! I had my own apartment. It was fabulous. The founders of BeachBody are really cool folks.

I have SSD. For my ENT and the French federation of scuba, in case of SSD : scuba-diving is an absolute no no.

Back